News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2010-12-19, 00:12:53
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

It's funny, they changed the title so much that I couldnt recognise it  :o

The direct translation from Swedish would be Men Who Hate Women.

The Millenium Series is of course a big thing in Scandinavia.

My Mum read the three books with great fervor.

All three books have been made into films with Swedish actors. My Mum invited me along to see them.

I enjoyed very much the first film; it was pretty grisly. The second and third didnt provide much novelty, but were quite entertaining nonetheless.

I don't expect to watch the American remakes, unless there's somethin real special in'm.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2010-12-19, 18:33:15
It's funny, they changed the title so much that I couldnt recognise it  :o

The direct translation from Swedish would be Men Who Hate Women.

I know, I never understood it why it was so very different in English either.
Translated in Dutch the book has the same title as you mentioned it.

QuoteThe Millenium Series is of course a big thing in Scandinavia.

Not only in Scandinavia. ;)

In the Netherlands as well.  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2010-12-19, 18:44:08
In the Netherlands as well.  :D

So there'l be some Dutchie who writes the 4th Millenium Book: The Girl Who Got Stuck In The Marsh  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Draco chimera

The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, Douglas Adams. Pretty cool  :D
Let your conscience decide !

funkster

Kiss of evil by Richard Montanari

Teunis

Just finished the IO-pages, a Dutch magazine about prog music. There was a nice little review about the Arena gig last November in Zoetermeer. And an interview with Shadow Gallery's Gary Wehrkamp, a very nice read indeed!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

funkster

Latest edition of Metal Hammer including their 50 best albums of last year  *horns*

funkster

Bloodlines by mark Billingham

The Butterfly Man

I'm reading the Dream Theater biography 'Lifting Shadows' at the moment. What a fascinating read it proves to be. I've now arrived at the beginning of the infamous Falling Into Infinity-sessions. Their recordlabel wanted them to make radiofriendly tracks which led to a lot of tension within the band and left Mike Portnoy on the verge of quitting. I can't wait to read all about it! :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2011-01-27, 11:33:26
the infamous Falling Into Infinity-sessions

Yeah, it's surprising that FII turned out so great after all. Genius will always shine thru, no matter what  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

I've been reading a lot in the commentaries on the Bible by Matthew Henry.
Are you familiar with it, Nicky?
It's been very enlightening to me.

--Paco

keyboardistmatt

Now reading a new copy of the Argos catalogue!
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

PH

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Thu, 2011-03-24, 13:44:43
Now reading a new copy of the Argos catalogue!

How was it? ;D

;)

My girlfriend lent me a book. So I really need to read it. I have it in my possession for almost half a year now... And I still haven't read a single page.
So little time.

Anyway, the title of the book is "Just Beyond the Clouds". It's written by christian author Karen Kingsbury.
And it's about a guy whose wife died because of multiple sclerosis. His younger brother has Down's Syndrome and is very dear to him. Now he meets another woman and there's this tension because the guy doesn't know which one of these two persons is the most important to him.

In a nutshell.

funkster

Re reading the Riftwar saga by Raymond E Feist and up to Silverthorn now.

After that it is A game of thrones by George rr Martin

PH

I'm reading a lot of articles about goosebumps, and hairs lately. Because I have to write an article myself, about a subject that has to do with biology. And it has to be a current subject.

funkster

Game of thrones by George RR Marin - only 100 pages to go now and i have enjoyed it a huge amount.

Loads of characters & 3 main story plots make it a challenging and rewarding read.

Draco chimera

Isaac Asimov: The Rest of the Robots and Robot Dreams.

Iggy

I have just finished the first 3 books of the lastest Thomas Covenant sage by Stephen Donaldson and was a bit annoyed as his other series were trilogy's but this one turns out to have 4 in the series and the forth isn't available yet.  >:(

On holiday I read and greatly enjoyed The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill and would highly recommend it.

PH

I have been reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's masterpiece "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" on holiday. And it was as good as 'the album', even a bit better because Clive and Oliver had left out several bits of the book.

At the moment I'm reading another Sherlock Holmes novel: "The Valley Of Fear". I'm halfway and the first part was truly excellent. I'm now at the first chapter of the second part.

funkster

Clash of kings by George RR Martin and enjoying it so far 

Manatee

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2011-08-25, 19:38:06
Clash of kings by George RR Martin and enjoying it so far 

I've been reading the first in that series, A Game of Thrones.  I had been "saving" the series until it was finished since it bugs me when I get into a series and have to wait to finish it, but since HBO came out with a production of it that I'd like to watch (and since Martin is apparently a very slow writer), I decided to go ahead and read what there is.  So far it's quite good.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Peter

Quote from: funkster on Tue, 2011-05-24, 07:28:45
Game of thrones by George RR Marin - only 100 pages to go now and i have enjoyed it a huge amount.

Loads of characters & 3 main story plots make it a challenging and rewarding read.

I loved that series, but after reading about the 6th part, I started to hate it! All the people you start to identify with and who become your heroes while reading die one after another. Really, that angered me, and that's not an emotion I want to have about a book I'm reading.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Draco chimera

Not exactly a "Now reading" post, rather a "Just Read" one: Halo: Ghosts of Onyx and Halo: The Cole Protocole. I am relieved to see that those books, while being marketing for the video games, are still well-written and very enjoyable.

PH

Quote from: Draco chimera on Mon, 2011-08-29, 14:21:34
Not exactly a "Now reading" post, rather a "Just Read" one: Halo: Ghosts of Onyx and Halo: The Cole Protocole. I am relieved to see that those books, while being marketing for the video games, are still well-written and very enjoyable.

Yeah, I have two books based on the Metal Gear Solid games and one based on Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. They're not one of the best literary works, but highly enjoyable when you've played the games.

funkster

Blood and gold by George RR Martin and it is once again a real cracker