News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Fri, 2010-06-04, 09:34:46
Winter frost - my first Frost book and i am really enjoying it  :)

Eh, what's that, Funkster  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

funkster

Here is a link to the TV series - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Touch_of_Frost_(TV_series)

It is gritty but with a black humourous touch and i love it  :)

Nicky007

OK, I'v seen several episodes of the TV-series - quite entertaining - but I didnt know that there also was a book version  8)

What's the book like in comparison with the TV-series, Funkster ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

The book i am reading is really good - equal parts amusing and tragic with a real gritty edge to it.

Highly recommended   

funkster

The whisperers by John Connolly

funkster

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkabhan

Started again from the beginning reading the series and loving them as much as ever  :D

PH

In my three weeks of absence (absence from the Netherlands, not from the Room) I've began reading several books.

- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
A novelization written by Raymond Benson (best known for writing James Bond novels), based on the video game by Hideo Kojima)

Funny trivia: Raymond Benson also wrote a Jethro Tull biography and two original novels (A Hard Day's Death and Dark Side Of The Morgue) in which his love for progressive rock shows up.

- Essentials Of Animal Behaviour
A highly interesting book (written by P.J.B. (Peter) Slater) about the motivation, function, development and evolution of animal behaviour.

-Zo Ik Niet Had Geloofd
A bundle of written sermons by Rev. D. Heemskerk. In these sermons he deals with the Belgic Confession (in dutch: Nederlandse Geloofsbelijdenis). Very interesting to see why such a confession was needed and how all these articles are still very valuable to the church.

-Covenant Marriage (I read the dutch translation: Huwelijk: Verbond Voor Het Leven)
A nice book about causes of difficulties in a marriage, and how to recognise and solve them. It's written by Dr. Gary Chapman. I think he's a nice chap, man! He's written many books about marriage and love and such things. All from a christian point of view. I can recommend his book The Five Love Languages to everybody, christian or not!

-Wat Is Een Christen Nodig Te Geloven
At first, I was a bit put off by the title of the book (in English it's something like: "What does a christian need to believe?"), but when I began reading, I couldn't stop. It's full of explanations of why christians (particularly reformed christians) believe some theories and why we think other theories (within christianity) are false. All supported by arguments in the Bible. It's not a practical book like Gary Chapman's, but very dogmatic in a sense. Not everyone's cup of tea I presume. I think Nicky would like it, since he's very much into all sorts of theories within christianity (and beyond), but too bad, it's only in dutch. ;)

Needless to say that I'm not finished reading yet... :D

--Paco--

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2010-08-12, 19:56:31
absence from the Netherlands, not from the Room

Does that mean that you occasionally read Room stuff during your AWOL ?

Essentials Of Animal Behaviour

Paxi, you could consider reading Animal Liberation by Peter Singer. It's very informative, about animal rights and many other things related to animals and the way we treat'm. Eases you to the realisation that vegetarianism is the right thing in our times  ;)

Wat Is Een Christen Nodig Te Geloven
I think Nicky would like it ... but too bad, it's only in dutch.

I aint in Dutch with Dutch. When I'm in marshland, I read Dutch newspapers. It's just like German with a bad cough and/or a bottle of Scotch  ;D

Thanx for the tip, Paxi. I'l keep it in mind.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2010-08-12, 19:56:31
Raymond Benson (best known for writing James Bond novels)

Now that's incorrect, Paxi. The author of the James Bond stories is Ian Fleming. I know that cuz I read several of'm (with gusto) when I was about, hm ... hm, maybe about 15.

I think Nicky would like it, since he's very much into all sorts of theories within christianity (and beyond)

Well, thank you, Paxi. With you one never knows, of course, but I'v chosen to take it as a compliment  :)

I think he's a nice chap, man!

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2010-08-13, 13:50:30

I aint in Dutch with Dutch. When I'm in marshland, I read Dutch newspapers. It's just like German with a bad cough and/or a bottle of Scotch  ;D

Funny, I always thought that German was just like Dutch with a bad cough.

And Danish a language that you speak when you're really drunk.  ;D ;)

*we're back.....
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

You'r right, Mad, Danish and Dutch do sound quite similar  :-[

Maybe that's why they understand each other so well - when they'r "really drunk"  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Draco chimera

I've been reading Battlestar Galactica : The Cylon's Secret and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
I enjoyed both, the Guide is really awesome -complete nonsense, a classic- I really loved it.
Also reading some BSG comics and a new series called Jurassic Park : Redemption. The BSG comics are really good, they fit well in the ambiance of the series. I'm a bit disappointed by the JP ones, being just episodic tales - it's ok, but not really exalting.
Let your conscience decide !

maddox

Quote from: Draco chimera on Sat, 2010-09-04, 11:25:28
I've been reading Battlestar Galactica : The Cylon's Secret and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
I enjoyed both, the Guide is really awesome -complete nonsense, a classic- I really loved it.
Also reading some BSG comics and a new series called Jurassic Park : Redemption. The BSG comics are really good, they fit well in the ambiance of the series. I'm a bit disappointed by the JP ones, being just episodic tales - it's ok, but not really exalting.

At least you still got JP over there.
They've stopped publishing here in the Netherlands.
I'm quite sad about that.

I always was and actually still am a huge fan of the X-men.

About the Hitchhiker; I've heard a lot of good stories about the book.
It's time to get my hands on it, I guess.

funkster

Harry Potter and the half blood prince and Trail magazine

Plus the shattered room of course  ;)

Teunis

IO pages, a progressive rock magazine  8).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

funkster

The lost symbol by Dan Brown

Should be a bit of fun but nothing serious 

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Wed, 2010-10-13, 09:30:44
Should be a bit of fun but nothing serious

Don't underestimate Dan Brown, Funky  :)

OK, he's become a media star, but so did The Beatles; that doesnt necessarily mean that they'r superficial (altho in some 99% of all cases, media stars are superficial).

Brown puts a lot of effort into his books. And there is a lot to be found  ;)

Iac I ended up spending a lotta time with The Da Vinci Code. First of all there's the elegant language (Brown is a classical literature scholar (Erik  ;) )), then there's the whole idea of the physical lineage from Jesus Christ, which has tremendous ramifications, and all the interesting reflections on Renaissance painting, lodges, etc, all very well researched and vividly portrayed  8)

NR   J. H. Brennan:   Nostradamus: Visions of the Future

Engrossing  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2010-10-13, 12:41:49
Iac I ended up spending a lotta time with The Da Vinci Code. First of all there's the elegant language (Brown is a classical literature scholar (Erik  ;) )),
;D

Thanks for the tip, Nicky, haven't read any of his stuff, only saw the movies.

NR: Dan Simmons' Hyperion series, almost finished in book 2. I love this kind of epic scale SciFi, I devoured Asimov's Foundation series when I was at University. *horns*
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

bellanova

I am reading a book called The Glass Houses of the Dream Eaters. Its a thriller with a vey complex plot unlike anything i have read before. Its occupying my afternoons so much that i havent listened to any music for a few days now. However, im off to see Regenesis tomorrow so that will be good.

bellanova

How stupid am I.? Its called The Glass BOOKS of the Dream Eaters

maddox

Quote from: bellanova on Sun, 2010-10-17, 15:53:54
How stupid am I.? Its called The Glass BOOKS of the Dream Eaters

That's why I couldn't find it!  :o ;D

Draco chimera

Now reading Halo : Contact Harvest. I purchased a pack of Halo books on the internet - everything in english, playing or enjoying anything related to Halo in french would be blasphemy.  ;D
I got interesting in those books as the video games series' synopsis was really good, and the book was really appreciated by numerous critics. I basically just began to read it, but it already looks interesting.
Let your conscience decide !

funkster

Gone tomorrow by Lee Child

maddox

The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

It's not as good as the first Millenium-book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but I do enjoy it from time to time.