News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

I have just purchased Classic Rock does Prog and will probably read it later

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2009-03-29, 10:46:41
I have just purchased Classic Rock does Prog and will probably read it later

Streuth, you're obviously not feeling the credit crunch!  Personally I decided 8 quid for a magazine was a bit greedy.
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2009-03-29, 11:01:45
Streuth, you're obviously not feeling the credit crunch!  Personally I decided 8 quid for a magazine was a bit greedy.

Yep I agree it is a bit greedy and I have to say I wasn't really paying attention when I bought it and hadn't checked the price out.  ::)

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2009-03-29, 11:36:28
I wasn't really paying attention when I bought it and hadn't checked the price out.  ::)

Fortunately I'd seen plenty of adverse comment on the Marillion forum, so wasn't caught out.  Each to their own, of course, but to me that's 8 quid better spent on CDs *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2009-03-29, 11:54:05
Fortunately I'd seen plenty of adverse comment on the Marillion forum, so wasn't caught out.  Each to their own, of course, but to me that's 8 quid better spent on CDs *horns*

It probably didn't help that I had been drinking all afternoon in the Pillars of Hercules.  :P

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2009-03-29, 13:18:50
It probably didn't help that I had been drinking all afternoon in the Pillars of Hercules.  :P

Good thinking.  8 quid better spent on B-E-E-R ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2009-03-29, 13:35:31
Good thinking.  8 quid better spent on B-E-E-R ;)

It's all relative £6 for 2 Broadsides (Adnam's).

Steve Jones

Philip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

As I've had a stomach bug for a few days that I can't seem to shift (perhaps I'm not eating enough muffins?) it's now time to site on the relaxing armchair in my office and have a nice read.  It'll make a nice change from the other place I've been sitting a lot, plus it catches the sun on a nice day like today.  I'll probably doze off, even with The Mars Volta playing...
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2009-04-07, 13:33:55
Philip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

As I've had a stomach bug for a few days that I can't seem to shift (perhaps I'm not eating enough muffins?) it's now time to site on the relaxing armchair in my office and have a nice read.  It'll make a nice change from the other place I've been sitting a lot, plus it catches the sun on a nice day like today.  I'll probably doze off, even with The Mars Volta playing...

I've always meant to read that. It's the one that Blade Runner   *horns* was based on isn't it?

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2009-04-07, 18:32:41
I've always meant to read that. It's the one that Blade Runner   *horns* was based on isn't it?

Indeed.  Bladerunner is one of my all-time fave films (even got a copy on blu-ray now!) but the book is hugely different.  There's overlap in the concept and a couple of characters, but if you've seen the film it's not going to spoil the book.  Worth checking out ASAP, I'd say.
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Stephen Baxter - Time.

Re-reading this one, and enjoying it so far.  Funny thing was, when I re-read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' yesterday I remembered nothing about it.  Not one single thing.  I think that's the first time that has happened to me in my entire life!
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2009-03-29, 11:54:05

There is an interesting article about Dream Theater in it though.

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-04-08, 20:54:41
Stephen Baxter - Time.

Re-reading this one, and enjoying it so far.  Funny thing was, when I re-read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' yesterday I remembered nothing about it.  Not one single thing.  I think that's the first time that has happened to me in my entire life!

As I mentioned before, that seems to happen all the time when I reread an Asimov book (which I haven't done in a long time, so it's even more likely now).

Now reading (and will still be reading for several more months as it's extremely dense and requires thought about almost every page): Douglas Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach.  I bought this years ago and pretty much skimmed it except for the 'fun' parts.  This time I decided to give my brain a workout and really take in all the logic/math/philosophy in there.  I generally read just a few pages per night.  At the same time, I'll continue to read fluff fiction, which is more my usual fare.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Draco chimera

The Andromeda Strain, Michael Crichton.
Let your conscience decide !

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

keyboardistmatt

...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Draco chimera

Foundation, Isaac Asimov.

I guess, it will take a very long time before I finish the whole saga.  ;D
I borrow the books from my father, but some are missing here. This is our Foundation collection :

Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Prelude To Foundation
Foundation's Friends
(Isaac Asimov and Martin H. Greenberg)
Forward the Foundation
Foundation's Fear
(after Asimov, Gregory Benford)
Psychohistorical Crisis, I (after Asimov, Donald Kingsbury)
Psychohistorical Crisis, II (after Asimov, Donald Kingsbury)

There are many other books about the foundation's universe, these ones are only the main part.
Earth and Foundation is missing as you can see, we didn't find it. It's somewhere in the house....
Let your conscience decide !

Steve Jones

Quote from: Draco chimera on Sat, 2009-04-18, 13:36:30
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation

Oh man, I love those books - the first 3 in particular.  I felt things tailed off as the 'trilogy' was expanded, but what an awesome read!  Way back when I was a kid my mother bought me the original trilogy as a boxed set for Christmas.  I'd never read any Sci-Fi before and was utterly bowled over.

I can still remember the smell of those books, and the Chris Foss artwork that joined up if you put the three books together. Respect! *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-04-18, 13:48:57
Oh man, I love those books - the first 3 in particular.  I felt things tailed off as the 'trilogy' was expanded, but what an awesome read!  Way back when I was a kid my mother bought me the original trilogy as a boxed set for Christmas.  I'd never read any Sci-Fi before and was utterly bowled over.

I can still remember the smell of those books, and the Chris Foss artwork that joined up if you put the three books together. Respect! *horns*

Good grief I never realised. I just had to get them out.

By the way my Foundation trilogy cost the grand sum of £1.50  when my brother bought them, real value for money. Obviously I accidentally forgot to pack them for him when he emigrated to Australia 25 years ago.  :P

Steve Jones

George Orwell's 1984.  I've not read this since I was at school :o

I'm actually reading the online version which can be found at:
http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/index.html
Regards, Steve Jones

PH

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2009-05-01, 13:36:26
George Orwell's 1984.  I've not read this since I was at school :o

I'm actually reading the online version which can be found at:
http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/index.html

Ah yes, really good one, that one.

maddox

Tom Clancy's Op Center, Balance Of Power.

This is the second time i read it. Don't know why i picked this one since its the fifth book in the Op-center series.
Great to read though. I wish Tom would write a new Op-center episode since its been seven years since the last one.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2009-05-02, 14:25:37
I wish Tom would write a new Op-center episode since its been seven years since the last one.

Okay, okay I guess you're right and it's about time I write a new episode...

;D

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2009-05-03, 17:17:14
Okay, okay I guess you're right and it's about time I write a new episode...

;D

Tom

:D

maddox