News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-06-27, 10:44:29
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Slightly off-topic but I'm always cracking up when you're talking about 'her' :D...

To stay on-topic however, I'm now reading Karin Slaughter - Skin Privilege

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-06-27, 10:44:29
By curious coincidence, I'm reading the manual for a TV that's just been delivered - birthday present for She Who Must Be Obeyed.  I'll have to dig out the HDD/DVD recorder manual as well, just to make sure everything is up and running by the time she comes home from work tonight.

You're making it very hard for me not to say anything.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-06-27, 11:53:54
Yes, I thought they all were these days?

To be more specific, it's a Dream Theater Concert DVD Display Unit (DTCDVDDU)  ;D
At least until Mrs Emmerdale Display Unit gets back  :(

Yep I had to shell out for my own HD telly after SHE took over the one downstairs.

Now I need to get an 'upresing' DVD player

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2008-07-02, 22:14:05
Yep I had to shell out for my own HD telly after SHE took over the one downstairs.
Now I need to get an 'upresing' DVD player

I still do most of my music DVD watching on an old Sony 29 inch glass jobbie of the non-widescreen, non-HD variety.  This is partly due, of course, to SWMBO being designated Guardian of the Remote and Slayer of Infidels when it comes to the main telly in the living room, but also due to most music footage being in 4:3 aspect ratio which suits the older set rather than the new one.

Now reading: Philip Pullman's 'The Subtle Knife' after being hugely impressed by 'Northern Lights'  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2008-07-03, 11:30:57
I still do most of my music DVD watching on an old Sony 29 inch glass jobbie of the non-widescreen, non-HD variety.  This is partly due, of course, to SWMBO being designated Guardian of the Remote and Slayer of Infidels when it comes to the main telly in the living room, but also due to most music footage being in 4:3 aspect ratio which suits the older set rather than the new one.

Now reading: Philip Pullman's 'The Subtle Knife' after being hugely impressed by 'Northern Lights'  8)

I found them quite hard going might have to give it another try.

I watched the movie recently and quite enjoyed it.

Happily now though most Music DVD's are 16:9

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2008-07-03, 14:27:00
I found them quite hard going might have to give it another try.
Crikey!  Don't do that purely on my account, we're probably both titilated by different titles. ;)

I watched the movie recently and quite enjoyed it.
Not seen it yet, with movies these days I tend to wait until the DVD drops below a fiver.  :-[

Happily now though most Music DVD's are 16:9
That's certainly some consolation.  Unfortunately, whereas most movies were filmed in widescreen(ish) even when I was a nipper, the vast majority of archive music material is 4:3 so I'm always going to be whinging about it to some extent.  You have been warned!  ;) ;)

I'd like to stress that I'm not the kind of luddite who is always going to cling to some ancient black & white telly that's still got the 'old money' price tag on ;D but I am hoping my legacy glass behemoth doesn't blow up any time soon!  ;D ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2008-07-03, 15:00:14
Crikey!  Don't do that purely on my account, we're probably both titilated by different titles. ;)
Not seen it yet, with movies these days I tend to wait until the DVD drops below a fiver.  :-[
That's certainly some consolation.  Unfortunately, whereas most movies were filmed in widescreen(ish) even when I was a nipper, the vast majority of archive music material is 4:3 so I'm always going to be whinging about it to some extent.  You have been warned!  ;) ;)

I'd like to stress that I'm not the kind of luddite who is always going to cling to some ancient black & white telly that's still got the 'old money' price tag on ;D but I am hoping my legacy glass behemoth doesn't blow up any time soon!  ;D ;D

CRT's where built to last unlike LCD's

And until recently had a better picture 

Iggy

Just finished Want to play by P.J. Tracy.

A cracking crime book.

Deenfan

"Don't stop me now" by Jeremy Clarkson

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

He probably is. Most of the 70's prog got to him and stuck, I believe.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Deenfan on Wed, 2008-07-09, 11:41:25
He probably is. Most of the 70's prog got to him and stuck, I believe.
Ah, that'll explain some of his guests on Top Gear :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Steve Jones

Philip Pullman - The Amber Spyglass.  Third book in the trilogy, I'm loving every minute so far.  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

Deenfan

Maybe? I know for sure he's into music where you can tell there's real talent behind it.

bluepony

Now reading "A Woman Of Substance" by Barbara Taylor Bradford.

The book was given to me by a friend as 'holiday reading' (although I don't have holidays...) and to be honest, I already regret that I even started on it. My friend said that it was a book she couldn't put down once she started reading and that it was one of the best stories ever - but so far it didn't grip me at all. Too much sob stuff for my taste... but since I never put away any book once I started and moreover it's in English, I'll consider it as a good excercise for my English (obviously I have disturbingly huge gaps!).

PH

I'm reading 'Hadassah' by Tommy Tenney.
It's a novelization of the book of Esther.

A friend of mine said to me that I should read it. It's a nice read, but somehow I always have problems with novelizations of Bible books. They make me look at the Bible in a different way. Which in itself is not really a problem, but this novel is much different from the 'original'. For instance in this novel Esther regrets that she's Jewish, and she often says that she doesn't really believe in God. I don't recognise it from the Bible... And there are more of such things.

So for me, I rather read a book that's totally fictional, or something that totally isn't, but this book just messes things up.

-Paco

Iggy

Just finished Country of the Blind by Christopher Brookmyre.

Novel starring an investigative journalist based in bonnie Scotland pretty sure the author isn't a Tory  ;D

A good read none the less as long as you aren't looking for anything too serious.

bluepony

Now reading: the manual of my new digicam. ;D

Deenfan

maddox

The reviews of the old Helloween albums by a certain Deen fan.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Deenfan

That! :D :D

Incredibly, I've had to actually do something today, and it's horrible. I'll try to deliver the goods tomorrow. Pray for the good health of the northerners.

bluepony

Deenfan

I can tell from a distance...

bluepony

I know - men don't read manuals, they just break the thing and then blame the manufacturer for poor quality!  ;D