News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2007-07-12, 22:43:25Well it grabbed me too but only after about 100 pages. Personally i think the beginning is dull although it's quite essential to read the 'background' info in the beginning.
You mean the prelude and things like "About Hobbits", "About the pipe-weed" etc etc?
Yeah, that's pretty dull indeed. When I started on it I thought "is this it?"

maddox

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-07-12, 22:59:45
You mean the prelude and things like "About Hobbits", "About the pipe-weed" etc etc?
Yeah, that's pretty dull indeed. When I started on it I thought "is this it?"

My thoughts exactly. Even the first beginning of the actual book was a bit dullish but after thati began to like it more and more.
I mostly read it before i went to sleep so that explains why it took me so long to finish it but there were occasions my wife woke and said 'It's almost two a.m. Are you ready to sleep now?'.  :-[  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

maddox

Currently reading:....A New Voice.  ;D

*horns* *horns* *horns*

Nicky007

By whom, Maddox?

Tried to Amazon it, but couldn't find anything that made sense.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-07-29, 20:08:09
By whom, Maddox?

Tried to Amazon it, but couldn't find anything that made sense.

Nicky.

The new edition from Dream Theater's VoicesUK fanclub.  ;)
With that i also got the Romavarium DVD as mentioned in the Now Playing Thread.  ;D
It holds the entire Octavarium album but then recorded in Rome during the Octavarium tour.

Needles to say it rocks!  *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2007-07-29, 20:26:08
With that i also got the Romavarium DVD as mentioned in the Now Playing Thread.  ;D
It holds the entire Octavarium album but then recorded in Rome during the Octavarium tour.
Needles to say it rocks!  *horns*

I'm also on needles to get it  ;D

> The new edition from Dream Theater's VoicesUK fanclub.  ;)

Aha, so you're a member. I checked it out, but as they ask you to pay first, I've let it hang for a while. Can you recom becoming a member? Any tips?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2007-07-29, 20:33:13

> The new edition from Dream Theater's VoicesUK fanclub.  ;)

Aha, so you're a member. I checked it out, but as they ask you to pay first, I've let it hang for a while. Can you recom becoming a member? Any tips?

Nicky.

I can.  ;)
Besides that you can access the forum, which is strictly off limits for non-fanclub-members, 4 times a year you get a full colour magazine in which you find prox. 32 pages of info, news items, interviews etc etc about probably the best band in the world, Dream Theater [/D'uh- ::)-mode off] ;D and also once a year you get a fan club CD or in this case DVD, which doesn't happen often i might add.
With my subscription i also got a Car-sticker, a membership card and a T-shirt but from what i understand that's history. The T-shirt that is.  ;)

The previous edition was even bigger than 32 pages. It was a rather thick book of 64 pages (!).

There are a few other fanclubs in the world of DT but the real official one was Theatre Of Dreams, located in the Netherlands but due to limited time and busy life's, the staff of TOD decided to quit 2 years ago. So now VoicesUK is one of the biggest fan clubs of DT.

Was it helpful? ;)

PH

Tomorrow I go on vacation to Germany!
And it's the only time that I don't regularly go on the internet and waste my time here, so that way I've got plenty of time to read.
So I went to the library today and took 4 books home again.

Three books by Terry Pratchett:
- The Colour Of Magic
- The Light Fantastic
- The Truth

And Tom Clancy's Op-Center: Devide And Conquer.

And of course I'm not finished with The Lord Of The Rings trilogy!
Or actually The Lord Of The Rings trilogy isn't finished with me yet...

maddox

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2007-08-03, 21:18:54

And Tom Clancy's Op-Center: Devide And Conquer.

As a Clancy fan who read all of his books including the Op-Center series i can only say this:  8)

Have fun on your vacation, PH.  ;)

Send us a postcard.  :D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2007-07-29, 21:29:23
... about probably the best band in the world, Dream Theater [/D'uh- ::)-mode off] ;D

You know, that's a tricky one, Maddox. Half a year ago, when Six Degrees got better and better with every run, I felt I was getting illoyal, you know what I mean; but recently I had an Arena rampage, and now I can say with full conviction: Arena and DT are my two absolute favorite (active) rock groups! They're both unbelievably good!

> Was it helpful? ;)

Yeah, thanks a lot, Maddox. Once I get through this present maze to a job (ho hum), I'll get me a credit card again (right now I'm as prol as PH), and join VoicesUK. Looking real forward to it.

How's the little one getting along?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2007-08-04, 11:19:06

How's the little one getting along?

Nicky.

Very good actually. She's in her usual self 3-year-old-mode. Pretty self-willed and suddenly not able to listen.  ::)  ;D
You know, like all the three year old girls on the world.  ;)

She says that it doesn't hurt any more and by a miracle she even begun eating again. That was a bit of a problem lately.

Thanks.  ;)

Micha

Changeling - The Autobiography of Mike Oldfield

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2007-08-04, 09:49:18As a Clancy fan who read all of his books including the Op-Center series i can only say this:  8)

Have fun on your vacation, PH.  ;)

Send us a postcard.  :D

In the end I didn't read it. I only read The Colour Of Magic, The Light Fantastic and little bits of The Lord Of The Rings (all in Dutch by the way...). So I didn't get to Tom Clancy or The Truth...

Now I've started in Equal Rites (part three of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels) but at the moment I'm too busy with school to get further with it.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-09-18, 13:07:35
... but at the moment I'm too busy with school....

Chatting and trippin to Hidria Spacefolk on your mp3, Paco  ;D

Well, lady tells me I'm like that too  :)

NR  Still Monte-Cristo. Only got 10 pages into it, but looked up a lot of French vocabulary   8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Currently i'm reading two new episodes/books of the 24 series. Based on the T.V. series 24. I just began reading 'Area 51' about a stolen stealth-proto type from Airforce base Groom Lake, Nevada.
The books have nothing to do with the latest season six. It is situated before season one.

Comparisons are Tom Clancy's OP-centre.

erik

NR Genesis: Chapter & Verse *horns*

Got it yesterday from the bookstore where I ordered it; a very good read so far (the Charterhouse years), this heavy volume is going to provide for many enjoyable reading hours! :P
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

bluepony

NR Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Yes, I know I'm so not up-to-date with this one, but I had other stuff to read first!

Peter

Sergej Lukianenko - Последний Дозор (= The Last Watch)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Mon, 2007-10-22, 17:55:42

It must be difficult to find an alt-code for that.  :P

bluepony

Quote from: Peter on Mon, 2007-10-22, 17:55:42
Erm... that's the guy who wrote all these "Night Watch/Day Watch/..." books, right?

PH

I was reading Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites but I stopped reading, 'cos I had to bring it back to the library. The first two books of the Discworld saga are far more interesting in my opinion. So I don't know wether or not I will read it again.

Still trying to find time and interest to pick up and read The Lord Of The Rings where I left.

And I also started to read a book about church history. That's very interesting. The chapters that I read so far were about the war between Romans and Jews and the destroying of Jerusalem and the temple.

-Paco

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2007-08-04, 11:19:06

> Was it helpful? ;)

Yeah, thanks a lot, Maddox. Once I get through this present maze to a job (ho hum), I'll get me a credit card again (right now I'm as prol as PH), and join VoicesUK. Looking real forward to it.

Nicky.

Nicky,

If you want to work on your French, the French DT fanclub has an open and fare-free forum http://forum.yourmajesty.net/  ;) There are a lot of informations to be found on their website too. And no, I am not a member but I pay a visit from time to time

maddox

Found a book on the shelf that has been lying there for over three years.  :o

Patrick Robinson - Barracuda 945

In English so that should improve the quality of my Englishj.  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2007-10-23, 19:12:10
Patrick Robinson - Barracuda 945

In English so that should improve the quality of my Englishj.  ;D

Lookin forward to that, Maddox. If my French gets better than your English, then you have something to be ashamed of  ;D

What's PR's book about? Never heard of the guy.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-23, 20:55:24
Lookin forward to that, Maddox. If my French gets better than your English, then you have something to be ashamed of  ;D

What's PR's book about? Never heard of the guy.

Nicky.

It's a techno-thriller about a SAS officer who after a fight disappears and resurface again after about one year in a very bad mood. With some terrorists he takes capture of a Submarine and attacks several targets in the Atlantic ocean, mainly English targets and the east coast of USA.

The military command of both England and America works together to stop him.

Good book actually.  8)

Btw: Patrick Robinson is from the United Kingdom.  ;)