News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Hebrew language, and its mysteries

Started by PH, Sun, 2011-03-13, 20:26:24

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Hello fellow Roomies!

This might not interest everyone around here, but I believe it might interest some of you, especially Nicky! ;)

Today I was doing a bit of Bible study. Especially on the old Hebrew language, which is the language of the Old Testament.
I found it very interesting and very rewarding!

I was happily surprised to discover that Jesus Christ was present at the creation in Genesis, as He said Himself He is the first and the last (Alpha and Omega) (Revelation 1: 8 ).
Of course Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, and Omega the last letter. But Jesus didn't speak Greek, he spoke Aramaic and, when citing Scripture He spoke Hebrew.

In Hebrew, the first letter is also an A, the 'Aleph'. The last letter is the 'Tav'.
'Aleph' means 'Lord' in Hebrew language. (Something to keep in mind.)

Well, the very first sentence in the Bible starts like this:

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." (Genesis 1: 1)

But how did He create all this? Just by speaking words:

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." (Genesis 1: 3)

Simple as that.

The Gospel of John tells us that everything is created through Jesus Christ:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." (John 1: 1-3)

Of course it says 'the Word', but with the 'Word', John means Christ. Proof is here:
"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." (John 1: 14)

So Jesus is the Word. And God created everything by just speaking words.
This in itself should be enough to come to the conclusion that Jesus Christ was there all the time, from the beginning till the end (and beyond ;)). Everything was created through Christ.

Now lets take a closer look at the very first sentence of the Bible again, but in Hebrew this time:

Bereshit bara Elohim et hashamayim ve'et ha'arets.

In the beginning (Bereshit)
God (Elohim)
created (bara)
heaven (hashamayim)
and earth (ve'et ha'arets).

So the Hebrew word for 'create' is 'bara'. (The second thing to keep in mind.)

Now the interesting part!
The Hebrew word for 'son' is 'bar'.
For example, 'Bartimaeus' means 'son of Timaeus'. (Mark 10: 46)
Back to 'bara' again. With everything we now know we can say that 'bar-A' can also be translated as 'Son of the Lord'.

So when it says: Bereshit bara Elohim etc. it actually says: "In the beginning God, Son of the Lord, the heaven and the earth".

So when God created life, the universe and everything (heh heh ;)) He did that along with Christ, the Word, His Son, the Alpha and Omega.

I found that pretty amazing! :D

Couldn't help it, had to post it here.

--Paco

Nicky007

8)  Paxi.

There is a deep, deep mystery in "The Word"  ???

I don't really have more to add at this stage ... except: Good to have you back  :)

There are still so few people who span religion and prog  :(

Somehow religious people believe they have to continue rehashing Bach and the old psalms ... and proggies are young and rebellious - against all authorities  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2011-04-02, 11:34:04

There are still so few people who span religion and prog  :(

I beg to differ.

In my opinion a lot of people that are into prog are religious in any way and also like to read fantasy novels.

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2011-04-02, 13:37:15In my opinion a lot of people that are into prog are religious in any way and also like to read fantasy novels.

;D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2011-04-02, 13:37:15
In my opinion a lot of people that are into prog are religious in any way and also like to read fantasy novels.

Mad, I think it requires something more than being a fantasy freak to be "religious". Let's recall the background of the word. From Dictionary.com: latin - re- re- + ligāre  to bind, tie. So, to rebind, or refind, the connection to God / divinity.

In my understanding, a religious person is one who has faith in something higher than the sum of all human intelligence, and prioritises and arranges his/her life accordingly  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

kmorse

PH,

You should pass that observation along to Neal Morse, who remains confused about what the Bible has to say about the divine nature of Jesus.

I lurk -- no longer post -- on a Yahoo group devoted to Christian progressive rock, but I find far more insight, wisdom and stimulating conversation on this otherwise "secular" message board.

Keep it up.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

PH

Quote from: kmorse on Tue, 2011-07-26, 21:44:41
PH,

You should pass that observation along to Neal Morse, who remains confused about what the Bible has to say about the divine nature of Jesus.

You think I should? Hmm, perhaps I will.

Quote from: kmorse on Tue, 2011-07-26, 21:44:41
I lurk -- no longer post -- on a Yahoo group devoted to Christian progressive rock, but I find far more insight, wisdom and stimulating conversation on this otherwise "secular" message board.

Keep it up.

That's a compliment for The Shattered Room and at the same time 'worrisome' for that Yahoo group. :-\

You have any idea how that's possible? Perhaps you should lurk no more and try to get that group to the next level! ;D

It's good to have you back Keith. I always like your contributions to our conversations here. It would be really nice to have you posting a bit more here. :)

On topic: I haven't really had the time to delve deeper into the Hebrew language yet.
It's so deep anyway!

kmorse

I quit posting on that board a long time ago, the same time I initiated a discussion about Neal Morse's unorthodox Christology. It seemed that to most on the board, I'd done something akin to attacking th pope, although a few people privately shared their concerns with me. Ultimately, the thread was closed due to the subject matter (and, I believe, the fact that the moderator of the board is Neal Morse's PR agent; "Follow the Money," usually reveals the clues). So I left the group for a while. I rejoined, but don't post, just to see what's being discussed. Not much going on there any more. I still check in once in a while to see if anyone has any news on Kerry Livgren's health. He had a stroke a couple of years ago and it has severely curtailed his playing.
As for submitting your findings to Neal, it probably wouldn't do any good. Lots of folks argue those topics on the NealMorse.com forums but no one has changed his mind. So I was just being kind of facetious there.

Smegal

Its all very interesting but don't you think it would have been easier to create light first so he could see what he was doing?

This way maybe the snagging list wouldn't be so long
MY PRECIOUS

kmorse

Sounds good. I wish it were that easy. ...