News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Today:
Dukes Of The Orient - Dukes Of The Orient
Anathema - Hindsight
Steve Lukather - Lukather
Leprous - Malina

np: Antimatter - Black Market Enlightenment
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

Today:
Kingcrow - The Persistence
Landmarq - Origins ~ A Landmarq Anthology
Dream Theater - Change Of Seasons
Blind Ego - Preaching To The Choir

Teunis

Today:
Lonely Robot - Feelings Are Good
Riverside - Lost'N'Found ~ Live In Tilburg 8)
Shadow Gallery - Legacy *horns*
Toto - The Seventh One

np: Earthside - A Dream In Static

Teunis

pp:
IQ - Dark Matter
Neal Morse - Sola Gratia
Toto - Toto IV
Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado

jp: Michal Lapaj - Are You There (Beautiful solo album from Riverside's keyboardplayer)

np: Ton Scherpenzeel - The Lion's Dream (Solo album from mister Kayak)

Teunis

Today:
Wilson & Wakeman - Stripped
Wolverine - Machina Viva
X-Panda - Flight Of Fancy
John Wetton - Rock Of Faith

Now listening to Prog Non Stop #550

Teunis

Today:
Riverside - Wasteland
The Pineapple Thief - Dissolution
Steve Thorne - Levelled ~ Emotional Creatures Part 3
Frost* - Day And Age

np: Camel - Moonmadness

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2021-08-18, 18:56:56
Riverside - Wasteland

This album was still missing in my collection. But after listening (and initially not warming up to) this album, I think this album finally deserves to be in my collection, so I bought it. Some tracks are really good. In my opinion Riverside was really growing since "Shrine Of New Generation Slaves". This album seems to be a transition album. I'm looking forward to a new album!

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2021-08-18, 18:56:56
Frost* - Day And Age

I think this is a really good album. One of the best this year! It's almost as good as "Milliontown" in my book.

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2021-08-14, 19:47:49
jp: Michal Lapaj - Are You There (Beautiful solo album from Riverside's keyboardplayer)

Another really good album. Beautiful indeed! This reminds me of Lunatic Soul a lot. But also Anathema strangely enough. And other bands/artists that I can't think of right now.

Now listening to:
Toto - "Toto"
The first album. I think this is really good. Teunis, you weren't wrong.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2021-08-20, 18:37:25
This album was still missing in my collection. But after listening (and initially not warming up to) this album, I think this album finally deserves to be in my collection, so I bought it. Some tracks are really good. In my opinion Riverside was really growing since "Shrine Of New Generation Slaves". This album seems to be a transition album. I'm looking forward to a new album!
'Wasteland' is a great album indeed, but I like their albums from the debut, which is certainly in my (Riverside) top-3 8)

Quote from: PH
I think this is a really good album. One of the best this year! It's almost as good as "Milliontown" in my book.
Yeah, I'm playing it a lot, that says enough 8). And I wouldn't have thought that I would play the instrumental cd so often. Usually I find instrumental albums boring, not this one!

Another really good album. Beautiful indeed! This reminds me of Lunatic Soul a lot. But also Anathema strangely enough. And other bands/artists that I can't think of right now.
And a bit of Jean-Michel Jarre as well. Versatile album, though I would have loved more tracks with vocals. Especially the tracks with Antimatter singer Mick Moss are very beautiful 8).

Now listening to:
Toto - "Toto"
The first album. I think this is really good. Teunis, you weren't wrong.
Why did you doubt about that? ;) Throughout the discography you'll hear rock, hardrock, blues, progressive rock and metal, jazz, ballads. They can play almost everything. Yes, still my favourite band *horns*.

np: Camel - Breathless

First time that I play this one, not impressed. They have far better albums.

Teunis

Downes Braide Association - Halcyon Hymns

Teunis

pp: Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

np: Leprous - Malina

Playing it because of its 4th anniversary. It was album of the year 2017 for me. Looking forward to the new Leprous album 'Aphelion' which will be released in 2 days *horns*

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2021-08-21, 19:46:29
'Wasteland' is a great album indeed, but I like their albums from the debut, which is certainly in my (Riverside) top-3 8)

I have to admit that I never gave Riverside the fair full treatment. Funny thing is, for me it started in 2005 with "Second Life Syndrome". That's the first album I heard. I really liked it. "Out Of Myself", which ofcourse came before, didn't do it for me in the same way at that time. "Rapid Eye Movement" was a let-down for me when I tried it. As a result I didn't really listen to it that much. "Anno Domini High Definition" also got neglected by me. Then came "Shrine Of New Generation Slaves" and it blew me away, in a very gentle way because it's so much softer. :P It's still my favourite, but "Love, Fear And The Time Machine" is very close.
I think I just like Riverside a lot more from 2013 onwards.

Yeah, I'm playing it a lot, that says enough 8). And I wouldn't have thought that I would play the instrumental cd so often. Usually I find instrumental albums boring, not this one!

Same here. I really like the instrumental disc! So much going on in the background, you wouldn't notice when there's a singer.

And a bit of Jean-Michel Jarre as well. Versatile album, though I would have loved more tracks with vocals. Especially the tracks with Antimatter singer Mick Moss are very beautiful 8).

Jean-Michel Jarre, absolutely! I hear it too! I think the track with vocals are OK, but I like the songs without vocals more. ;D I don't really like the voice of Mick Moss, or the vibrato in his voice, to be more specific.

Why did you doubt about that? ;) Throughout the discography you'll hear rock, hardrock, blues, progressive rock and metal, jazz, ballads. They can play almost everything. Yes, still my favourite band *horns*.

I'm sorry Teunis. I should listen to you more! ;D So how would you rate their albums? What's your favourite, and your least favourite?

I have now listened to the first five albums and I like the first album the best. "Hydra" is pretty cool too, albeit very different. "Turn Back" I like the least I think. "Toto IV" is much better again and has some really nice songs on it, but I might even prefer "Isolation".

Today I listened a lot to Tangerine Dream.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2021-08-26, 17:05:43
I think I just like Riverside a lot more from 2013 onwards.
Fair enough. I'm following them from the beginning. The most heavy albums 'Anno Domini High Definition' and 'Rapid Eye Movement' are my least favourite.

I don't really like the voice of Mick Moss, or the vibrato in his voice, to be more specific.
It's a matter of taste. I own a few Antimatter albums, but I admit you have to be in the mood for it. It's pretty dark and I can't say they are very versatile.

So how would you rate their albums? What's your favourite, and your least favourite?
My favourite album is the (rock) album 'Kingdom Of Desire'. It's the last album with Jeff Porcaro on drums. He died shortly after the album was recorded. It grabbed me from the beginning. It's probably the most heavy album, but it's the only one with Steve Lukather on vocals on all the tracks. I really like his voice. Great stuff, 'Wings Of Time' is my favourite Toto track. Man, both the lyrics and the music are so beautiful 8). Second favourite is the last one, XIV, a great collection of songs with 'Great Expectations' as imho their most proggy songs. You can also find a few on 'Falling In Between'. My least favourite albums are probably the first three albums ... ;). And Tambu has a number of tracks I dislike, e.g. 'Baby He's Your Man'. But also some great tracks like 'I Will Remember' and 'The Road Goes On'.

I have now listened to the first five albums and I like the first album the best. "Hydra" is pretty cool too, albeit very different. "Turn Back" I like the least I think. "Toto IV" is much better again and has some really nice songs on it, but I might even prefer "Isolation".
Interesting, curious what you'll find of the albums from 'Fahrenheit' to 'XIV' :).

pp: The Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure 8)
np: Toto - Old Is New

A number of 'leftovers'. Some nice songs, but also a number of songs that you can hear why they didn't make it to the album ...  ;).

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2021-08-26, 19:13:59
The most heavy albums 'Anno Domini High Definition' and 'Rapid Eye Movement' are my least favourite.

Same for me. It's funny, because they started out as a 'not really THAT heavy' metal band. Got heavier with each album up to "ADHD". And then they totally changed their sound again.

My favourite album is the (rock) album 'Kingdom Of Desire'. It's the last album with Jeff Porcaro on drums. He died shortly after the album was recorded. It grabbed me from the beginning. It's probably the most heavy album, but it's the only one with Steve Lukather on vocals on all the tracks. I really like his voice. Great stuff, 'Wings Of Time' is my favourite Toto track. Man, both the lyrics and the music are so beautiful 8). Second favourite is the last one, XIV, a great collection of songs with 'Great Expectations' as imho their most proggy songs. You can also find a few on 'Falling In Between'. My least favourite albums are probably the first three albums ... ;). And Tambu has a number of tracks I dislike, e.g. 'Baby He's Your Man'. But also some great tracks like 'I Will Remember' and 'The Road Goes On'.

Thanks Teunis! I'll keep all of this in mind when I resume my adventure through their discography.

Interesting, curious what you'll find of the albums from 'Fahrenheit' to 'XIV' :).

Me too! Unfortunately "Through The Looking Glass", "Falling In Between" and "Toto XIV" are not included in the boxset that I have. Funnily enough the boxset is titled "All In"....
What makes these albums different from the others, that they are not included? Another label?
Also what do you think of the "Dune" soundtrack?

Of course they can be found on Spotify, so I'll definitely check them out!

np: Toto - Old Is New

A number of 'leftovers'. Some nice songs, but also a number of songs that you can hear why they didn't make it to the album ...  ;).

This one actually IS part of the boxset. :D

pp: The Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure 8)

One of Neal's best I'd say.

Now listening to:
Neal Morse Band (or NMB, as they seem to be called nowadays) - "Innocence & Danger"

I'm in the final few minutes and I want to hit the repeat button already! Especially the second disc is really cool!
I didn't expect that at all to be honest, because Transatlantic was a bit of a disappointment to me this year.

Peter

Eurythmics - Be Yourself Tonight

some good old 80s stuff....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Peter

Polyphia - The Most Hated

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2021-08-27, 14:24:35
Same for me. It's funny, because they started out as a 'not really THAT heavy' metal band. Got heavier with each album up to "ADHD". And then they totally changed their sound again.
Fortunately, I'd say ;)

What makes these albums different from the others, that they are not included? Another label?
Indeed, label issues :-\

Also what do you think of the "Dune" soundtrack?
Some great music on it, but I'm not fond of the voice between the tracks, from the movie 'Dune'. Still, I do play it from time to time ...

One of Neal's best I'd say.
Seconded, my favourite 8)

Now listening to:
Neal Morse Band (or NMB, as they seem to be called nowadays) - "Innocence & Danger"

I'm in the final few minutes and I want to hit the repeat button already! Especially the second disc is really cool!
I didn't expect that at all to be honest, because Transatlantic was a bit of a disappointment to me this year.
Due to my holidays last week I am a week behind, bought it yesterday and could only hear it once. But I wonder why the Simon and Garfunkel track 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is featured on this album ...  :-\

Teunis

Today I've been playing my two latest purchases:
Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger
Leprous - Aphelion

Getting better and better after each spin *horns* 8)

Teunis

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2021-09-06, 18:51:58
Leprous - Aphelion
And of the two most impressed by ... Leprous :). The NMB album is great, played it several times, but it doesn't grip me in the way 'The Great Adventure' did. And I wonder: The track 'Beyond The Years' is 31:22 long. Couldn't it have lasted 10 seconds more for a decent fade-out? I thought (and still think) it is an error at the end of the disc ???. It wouldn't be the first time with a Radiant Records release.

The new Leprous album is *horns*. Favourite track: 'On Hold'. Goosebumps all over 8).

pp: IQ - The Resistance 8)
np: Days Between Stations - Giants

Teunis

Today:
Asia - Alpha
Leprous - Aphelion
Gazpacho - Fireworker

now listening to Prog Non Stop #554

Peter

Yes - Roundabout
Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
Alice in Chains - Would
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

and now on to the first Van Halen album, which I never got around to listen to properly

Teunis

Today:
IQ - The Road Of Bones
Leprous - Aphelion

np: Throes Of Dawn - Our Voices Shall Remain 8)

The Butterfly Man

Was playing this morning:

Arena - The Shattered Room

Which made me wonder what was going on in here, so I logged in to see for myself. ;D

NP: Leprous - Aphelion
Very good album!

See you guys!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Teunis

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2021-09-17, 12:22:08

Which made me wonder what was going on in here, so I logged in to see for myself. ;D

What a surprise, good to see you here. Welcome back *horns*.

Quote from: The Butterfly Man
Very good album!
Indeed, top-3 contendor 2021 releases for me 8).

np: Duncan Patterson - The Eternity Suite

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2021-09-17, 12:22:08

Very good album!

See you guys!

Tom

Just logging in to say hi to you Tom! How's it going?

maddox

NP> Porcupine Tree ~ In Absentia
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.