News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Preordered the new Anathema album 'Weather Systems' and the Pendragon DVD 'Out Of Order Comes Chaos'. Very much looking forward to these releases  8).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Manatee

I just got Sylvan - Sceneries.  Elected to go with the Amazon download rather than order an import at triple the price.  Two reasons: 1) instant delivery :) and 2) I feel a large wave of music purchases coming on (including another Sylvan album that I already bought the CD of), and the wallet's feeling a bit thin.  As I already knew since I listened to it online daily for a couple of months, it's great.   *horns*

I'm interested to hear what the new Anathema album is like.  Is it similar to We're Here Because We're Here, more like albums before it, or none of the above?  I like WHBWH, but I think the Anathema sweet spot for me is somewhere before it (not the doom stuff, which I haven't tried, but Judgement, Eternity, A Natural Disaster, etc.).
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

PH

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2012-04-19, 19:13:56
I just got Sylvan - Sceneries.  Elected to go with the Amazon download rather than order an import at triple the price.  Two reasons: 1) instant delivery :) and 2) I feel a large wave of music purchases coming on (including another Sylvan album that I already bought the CD of), and the wallet's feeling a bit thin.  As I already knew since I listened to it online daily for a couple of months, it's great.   *horns*

Hmm... I see that everyone is so positive about this CD. Another one I really need to buy... :(

I'm interested to hear what the new Anathema album is like.  Is it similar to We're Here Because We're Here, more like albums before it, or none of the above?  I like WHBWH, but I think the Anathema sweet spot for me is somewhere before it (not the doom stuff, which I haven't tried, but Judgement, Eternity, A Natural Disaster, etc.).

I hope I can tell you more, since I ordered the new Anathema album yesterday and expect it to be here today! ;D I am really looking forward to it, because this band instantly became one of my favourites in a very short time.

I also ordered Edenbridge's "Solitaire". Not only because it was just 9,99 euros, but also because I really liked "MyEarthDream". I haven't heard any of you guys talk about this band, and I agree that it's not prog, but it's very nice symphonic metal. Very catchy stuff too.

Iggy

IMO it is more similar to WHBWH than the earlier stuff and nothing like the earliest stuff.

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2012-04-20, 08:00:27

I also ordered Edenbridge's "Solitaire". Not only because it was just 9,99 euros, but also because I really liked "MyEarthDream". I haven't heard any of you guys talk about this band, and I agree that it's not prog, but it's very nice symphonic metal. Very catchy stuff too.

I like Edenbridge as you say good catchy music.

Teunis

About Anathema - Weather Systems
Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2012-04-20, 08:18:58
IMO it is more similar to WHBWH than the earlier stuff and nothing like the earliest stuff.
Agreed and even more symphonic, orchestral like on 'Falling Deeper'. It has arrived today, played it 4 times in a row and it is  *horns*. Really like the 5.1 mix. At home I won't play the 'normal' cd that often, nice for in the car ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Well, I got "Weather Systems" yesterday and played it only once, but it already sounded pretty good! Will give it a spin again in just a moment!

It's a great contender for the best of 2012.

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

Filling in a couple of holes in my "golden era" Tull collection.  They're pleasantly inexpensive too.

PH

I forgot to mention that I bought "Lost In The New Real", last monday. I've only heard it once. Still too busy listening to "Weather Systems".

I also bought me a new video game for my PlayStation 3.
"The Elder Scrolls: V. Skyrim"
And it's truly amazing!

Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
RPWL - Beyond Man and Time
Anathema - Weather Systems
Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings

I've already played Godbluff once.  It's highly rated but also noted as "not for the novice" (or something like that).  I've got two of the less challenging VDGG albums on vinyl, but I haven't played them in years since I'm not currently set up to play vinyl.  My recollection was that they were somewhat strange but not as strange as this one.  That's OK, I'm up to the challenge.  On first play, it wouldn't surprise me if the band were called "The Genesis Volta."   ;D

I believe I've already raved about Beyond Man and Time, thanks to being able to play it online several times.

Decided I couldn't not get Weather Systems even though I'm a little worried Anathema will have become so happy I can't stand it.  Doom metal isn't my thing, but I really like their albums that have the gloomy undertones coupled with melodic music.  WHBWH is a very pretty album, but I actually prefer the mood on prior albums.  I'll play this next and find out what we've got.

Spectral Mornings is, as I recall, one of Steve's better early solos.  That coupled with the fact that this CD contains as many bonus tracks as tracks from the original album made it a must-get.

@PH  I've been wanting Skyrim myself, but I don't have a console system, so I'll be looking at the PC version.  Not sure if my video card is good enough to run the game.  I couldn't play Oblivion until I upgraded to the computer I have now.  Hopefully I won't need to wait for my next computer to play this one.  Enjoy!

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2012-04-28, 10:39:25
I also bought me a new video game for my PlayStation 3.
"The Elder Scrolls: V. Skyrim"
And it's truly amazing!

Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M
So, is seems as good as people say it is? I've heard a lot about it.
Let your conscience decide !

PH

Quote from: Draco chimera on Sun, 2012-04-29, 21:02:21
So, is seems as good as people say it is? I've heard a lot about it.

Yes, it's really nice. There's so much you can do. I have fought dragons, drank poison, killed bandits, stole horses, collected mushrooms, bought battle axes, freed mammoths, etc..
Oh and I died a couple of times too.

Iggy

Ironically enough Yessongs on BluRay

Manatee

There's been such a blizzard of music lately that I entirely forgot I ordered this one.

Just Arrived:

Opeth - Deliverance

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2012-05-02, 00:10:47
Opeth - Deliverance

Be prepared, Greenie, this is one of their harshest and most difficult albums. You can read Lord Chimp's review to prepare:

www.amazon.com/Deliverance-Opeth/dp/B000FGGETU/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1335941664&sr=1-7

But Opeth are definitely good company  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2012-05-02, 09:00:42
Be prepared, Greenie, this is one of their harshest and most difficult albums. You can read Lord Chimp's review to prepare:

www.amazon.com/Deliverance-Opeth/dp/B000FGGETU/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1335941664&sr=1-7

But Opeth are definitely good company  *horns*

Nicky.

You're right.  I've already played it, and I wasn't prepared for the quantity of growls.  There's more growl than singing.  I knew it was the heavy one in the pair with Damnation, but I thought they'd taken a step toward more clean vocals by that point.  The music isn't a problem, but the growls will definitely take some work to acclimate to.

Manatee

Just arrived: The album I thought had arrived yesterday when Opeth arrived to growl at me.

DeeExpus - King of Number 33

I've already heard this one several times, so I know what to expect.

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2012-05-02, 16:47:47
the growls will definitely take some work to acclimate to.

Those of us who are (more or less) married are used to it  ;D

I'd say, Greenie, just crank up the volume and play Deliverance thru a coupl'o times. Take a big shot of whisky if necessary - my allowance. After that growl won't bug ya no more, and a whole new area of great prog will open up to you  ;)

After all, you learned how to swim too, didnt ya ?  Didnt like the water as a baby ?

Man, this growlophobia, drivin me nuts - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  >:(

Yeah, I meant that - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  >:( >:( >:(

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2012-05-03, 13:53:39
Those of us who are (more or less) married are used to it  ;D

I thought that sounded more like Robert Plant with especially tight pants ... or Jon Anderson trying to hit a low note.   ;D

I'd say, Greenie, just crank up the volume and play Deliverance thru a coupl'o times. Take a big shot of whisky if necessary - my allowance. After that growl won't bug ya no more, and a whole new area of great prog will open up to you  ;)

After all, you learned how to swim too, didnt ya ?  Didnt like the water as a baby ?

That's sort of what I did, minus the booze.  I'm finding I'm somewhat able to get into the music, while letting the growls fade into the background.  Unlikely I'll ever actually like the growls though.  They seem especially odd in this case since the man has such a fine voice.

Manatees love the water.  It's this icky land stuff that's hard to get used to.  So pointy.  :P

Man, this growlophobia, drivin me nuts - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  >:(

Yeah, I meant that - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  >:( >:( >:(

;D

Doesn't that hurt your throat?

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2012-05-04, 21:59:54
Doesn't that hurt your throat?

Nrrrrrrrrrrro  ;D

Unlikely I'll ever actually like the growls though.

I know several people who'v had a need to bandy that around initially. That sorta talk has a tendency to fade away, once one realises how good the music is - faaade away pssssssst

They seem especially odd in this case since the man has such a fine voice.

But I agree with you on this. He overdid the growl for a while, guess partly to piss off his territory, and cuz some fans tripped on it. On the latest two albums he's used his various vocal styles more fittingly  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Just arrrrrrrrived:

Jethro Tull - Stand Up

Opeth - Heritage

The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Anathema - Alternative 4

I hope that's the last I've ordered recently since someone has to pay for these things.   ::)

Now I must dash out to my theremin lesson.

PH

Yesterday I couldn't help myself and just HAD TO buy these:

- Storm Corrosion: "Storm Corrosion"
- Opeth: "Heritage", which completes the 'unofficial trilogy'
- Haken: "Visions", awesome stuff

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2012-05-15, 10:49:38
Haken: "Visions", awesome stuff

Hey Paxi, that's much too heavy for you  :o

8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2012-05-15, 12:39:41
Hey Paxi, that's much too heavy for you  :o

Not at all! It's exactly how I like it! 8)

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2012-05-15, 10:49:38
Yesterday I couldn't help myself and just HAD TO buy these:

- Storm Corrosion: "Storm Corrosion"
- Opeth: "Heritage", which completes the 'unofficial trilogy'
- Haken: "Visions", awesome stuff

That's a nice list you've got there.

I'll join you with Storm Corrosion and I'll add...

Arjen A. Lucassen ~ Lost in the New Real (2012)
Suspyre ~ S/T (2012)
Dreamscape ~ Everlight
Anathema ~ Weather Systems

See ya!
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.