News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2010-06-01, 09:55:17
Oh yes...

Sure sounds exciting - from Wikipedia, The Obsidian Conspiracy:

"Warrel Dane commented on the writing process: 'These songs are full of newfound rage, lyrically and musically. Jeff Loomis has come up with some amazing new riffs that will no doubt please old and new fans alike. Also, I think the combination of Peter [Wichers] and Andy [Sneap] (production & mixing) will result in something very, very special.'  Dane expressed his opinion about the song And The Maiden Spoke: '[It] is going to blow your minds; it's twisted, progressive lunatic fringe riffing with vicious hooklines.'

Jeff Loomis commented on the writing of the album: 'I think that with the new Nevermore, it still sounds like the band, but I think I'm giving Warrel a little bit more room this time around for more vocals rather than all the notey, kind of complex stuff and all that, so this time around it's just a little bit more wide open musically for him to really be able to do whatever he wants vocally this time around. So we'll see what happens. It's gonna be an interesting album for us, for sure.'"

Guys, Nevermore are one of the most exciting and innovative metal bands around. If you havent gotten into'm, ya don't know where progmetal is headin these days  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2010-06-01, 09:55:17
Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy.

I got it today  8)  (bought it in a cd-store in Cop)

Also bought:

Cynic:  Traced In Air

Yup !

Dimmu Borgir:  Death Cult Armageddon

Pretty drastic sounding title  :o

This album is considered by many Amazon reviewers to be the best Borgir album.

I'v been vacillating a lot about Borgir, as they'r extremely dark in both lyrics and music and verge on what's unacceptable to me as a Christian. What tipped me over to buying this album is that ICS Vortex is in the mix. He sings incredibly on Arcturus' Sideshow Symphonies. OK, he's not the lead singer on Armageddon, but just having him in the band is enough for me. He plays bass and does some singing on Armageddon. Nicholas Barker on drums is also supposed to be extraordinary. He's often compared to Hellhammer, who has played in both Arcturus and Borgir (and plays on Sideshow).

Well, let's see. Proggies have to risk their necks occasionally  ;D

I hardly need to ask whether there are any other Roomies into Borgir  :D  - well maybe Funkster  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2010-06-01, 11:09:35
Jeff Loomis commented on the writing of the album: 'I think that with the new Nevermore, it still sounds like the band, but I think I'm giving Warrel a little bit more room this time around for more vocals rather than all the notey, kind of complex stuff and all that, so this time around it's just a little bit more wide open musically for him to really be able to do whatever he wants vocally this time around. So we'll see what happens. It's gonna be an interesting album for us, for sure.'"

Hmm, I doubt this album will do more for me than This Godless Endeavor since there are more vocals... ::)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

funkster

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2010-06-01, 18:51:04
I got it today  8)  (bought it in a cd-store in Cop)

Also bought:

Cynic:  Traced In Air

Yup !

Dimmu Borgir:  Death Cult Armageddon

Pretty drastic sounding title  :o

This album is considered by many Amazon reviewers to be the best Borgir album.

I'v been vacillating a lot about Borgir, as they'r extremely dark in both lyrics and music and verge on what's acceptable to me as a Christian. What tipped me over to buying this album is that ICS Vortex is in the mix. He sings incredibly on Arcturus' Sideshow Symphonies. OK, he's not the lead singer on Armageddon, but just having him in the band is enough for me. He plays bass and does some singing on Armageddon. Nicholas Barker on drums is also supposed to be extraordinary. He's often compared to Hellhammer, who has played in both Arcturus and Borgir (and plays on Sideshow).

Well, let's see. Proggies have to risk their necks occasionally  ;D

I hardly need to ask whether there are any other Roomies into Borgir  :D  - well maybe Funkster  ???

Nicky.

Not listened to them Nicky as that whole corpsepaint/spikes look just puts me off. And they do sound a bit dark for poor ole me

Opeth/Cynic/Pestillence/Death/Athiest i can enjoy but Cradle of filth/Dimmu Borgir etc do not float my boat at all

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2010-06-02, 11:26:37
Hmm, I doubt this album will do more for me than This Godless Endeavor since there are more vocals... ::)

Well, let'm rest then for a while, Tomboy. I'l forgive ya  :)

But I'l get back to you later on that matter .....  ;D

At least you like ZOP  8)

I got the special box set of Obsidian for the same price as a usual new cd  :)

Lotta goodies in it. Beside the cd in a hard case (so one can take it out and put it next to the other cd's on the shelf), there was a dvd, and several cards: postcards, cards with lyrics and stuff.

Tom if you give me your address, I'l send ya an Obsidian postcard. Maybe that'l do the trick  ;D

Quote from: funkster on Wed, 2010-06-02, 13:04:24
And they do sound a bit dark for poor ole me

I gave Armageddon a full run yesterday, and I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. Nothing like my thrill with Sideshow Symphonies, but still.

Borgir are very special, quite different from anything else. No doubt they'r serious musicians, + a lot else  ;)

But now I know I'l be returning to'm now and then, so let's see .....

Opeth/Cynic/Pestilence/Death/Athiest

I'm well into Opeth, Cynic, Death, and Atheist now, but Pestilence I'v never heard. You think they'r somethin for me, Funkster ?

poor ole me

Well, how about me, Funkster ?  Ya don't think that my life is pretty tattered by now ?  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Nicky - give testimony of the ancients by pestilence a whirl as i think it would be right up your street mate.

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Wed, 2010-06-02, 15:01:35
Nicky - give testimony of the ancients by pestilence a whirl as i think it would be right up your street mate.

Thanx, Funkster, got it on my SL now  :)

And you give Traced In Air a whirl  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

I bought North Atlantic Oscillation's 'Grappling Hooks' last weekend.

Great modern-sounding prog in the vein of Pure Reason Revolution and Mew. Have a listen here: www.myspace.com/naoband.

Tom

maddox

I've bought four tickets to the Roger Waters concert at April 9th next year in Arnhem!!!

Who will join me?
Dutchies?  ???
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2010-06-07, 16:56:47
I've bought four tickets to the Roger Waters concert at April 9th next year in Arnhem!!!

Who will join me?
Dutchies?  ???

Have you got some spare tickets?

Manatee

I saw Roger Waters near Boston some 20-25 years ago.  I don't think I'll make it to Arnhem from across the sea, but enjoy!

Just Purchased:

Amazon MP3 Dowloads of

IQ - Tales From the Lush Attic
IQ - The Wake

I've had these on vinyl since shortly after their release, but I felt the need to have them in a format I can actually play now (and the CDs are quite expensive).   ;D
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Anathema - Judgement

maddox

Oops, wrong topic. ...

I've purchased no CD.

And not a DVD.

But an LP.

Three to be precise.

All the studio albums of Transatlantic on coloured vinyl.  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Quite expensive and I now have to figure out a way to explain this to my dearest ( ::)) but well worth the money!

At least, I hope.  ;D

Draco chimera

Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull by John Williams. I love movie soundtracks  :P
Let your conscience decide !

maddox

New arrivals this week and last week:

Vanden Plas ~ The Seraphic Clockwork
Demians ~ Mute (the most hideous cover I've ever seen but the music sounds good)
Marillion ~ Size Matters

Just to name a few...

Iggy

Like Mad I bought Mute and I also got Karnataka's - The gathering light.

keyboardistmatt

I've recently brought 'Airplane 2', 'The Naked Gun Trilogy', and 'Hot shots' on DVD.  I love comedy. - Especially silly comedy like that.

Leslie Nielsen and Lloyd Bridges are awesome! *horns*
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Draco chimera

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2010-07-11, 13:30:43
I've recently brought 'Airplane 2', 'The Naked Gun Trilogy', and 'Hot shots' on DVD.  I love comedy. - Especially silly comedy like that.

Leslie Nielsen and Lloyd Bridges are awesome! *horns*
Oh, so I'm not the only one here who loves those stupid movies.  ;D
Let your conscience decide !

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Draco chimera on Mon, 2010-07-12, 15:21:45
Oh, so I'm not the only one here who loves those stupid movies.  ;D

No, you're not!  ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Teunis

During my holidays: Ayreon - 01011001 (didn't like it at all, but for only 5 euro's I filled the only gap in my Ayreon collection). Still not impressed though  ;).
IQ - The Wake 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition. Didn't own the original album, wasn't available anymore, this is a remastered version. Also 2 cd's of demos, the first gig that was taped on film (very poor quality though!). In fact cd 1 will be played often. For cd 2, 3 and 4 one or two times will be enough  ::).
Ordered: the new Gazpacho album 'Missa Atropos'. Very much looking forward to this one!
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

The Butterfly Man

Gazpacho's Missa Atropos arrived yesterday. Listened to it with headphones in bed last evening, and was overwhelmed. Again a masterpiece. Will they ever stop delivering?

Tom

Teunis

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2010-09-02, 14:24:15
Gazpacho's Missa Atropos arrived yesterday. Listened to it with headphones in bed last evening, and was overwhelmed. Again a masterpiece. Will they ever stop delivering?

Tom
Good to read, I've read these kind of comments on Facebook as well. I hope to receive it tomorrow  8).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

Mixed by Steven Wilson, I see.  Not a bad sign.   :D

Manatee

Just Arrived:

Marillion - Clutching at Straws

A bit of Fish on the menu today.   ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2010-09-10, 18:31:04