News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-06-20, 10:20:53
Anathema - Judgement
Opeth - Deliverance

As you can see, I'm planning a cheerful and upbeat weekend ;D

Both excellent choices.
On the Opeth album, the last song By The Pain I See In Others is simply stunning.
The guitar-parts on it are one of the best.  *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2009-06-20, 14:29:29
On the Opeth album, the last song By The Pain I See In Others is simply stunning.
The guitar-parts on it are one of the best.  *horns*

According to Wikipedia ( home of all that is accurate ::) ) "According to the official Opeth website, 'By the Pain I See in Others' is guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt's least favorite Opeth song."  I can't be bothered to scan the Opeth site to see if this claim is backed up, but it seemed a mighty fine tune to me when I played it!
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-06-20, 15:46:39
According to Wikipedia ( home of all that is accurate ::) ) "According to the official Opeth website, 'By the Pain I See in Others' is guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt's least favorite Opeth song."  I can't be bothered to scan the Opeth site to see if this claim is backed up, but it seemed a mighty fine tune to me when I played it!

It is??  ???

It's one of my fav's.  :-\

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-06-20, 16:39:54
I wouldn't lie to you, my friend ;) ;D

I know you wouldn't, but your source can be very questionable at times.  ;)

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2009-06-20, 16:42:56
but your source can be very questionable at times.  ;)

And those are the better times ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings ;D

Now ripping to lossless files for the rest of my day's entertainment *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

kmorse

Has anyone heard the new IQ CD, "Frequency"? I just saw it listed on Amazon.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Bupie

Hey, glad to read you, k. I don't have it yet but several other Roomies do and, from what I understood, it seems that IQ played safe with this one, which means that it is good but unspectacular.

May I recommend to try Pendragon's Pure if you want some recent outstanding neo-prog  *horns*

funkster

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2009-06-23, 10:51:18
Hey, glad to read you, k. I don't have it yet but several other Roomies do and, from what I understood, it seems that IQ played safe with this one, which means that it is good but unspectacular.

May I recommed to try Pendragon's Pure if you want some recent outsanding neo-prog  *horns*

I concur with my learned friend - Pure blows Frequency out of the water

kmorse

Thanks for the feedback. Those evaluations sound a lot like some I read on the Amazon.com reviews page: Good, but not great.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Manatee

I concur with the other IQ feedback - certainly worth having, but not their best nor groundbreaking.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Manatee

Amazonian MP3 download:

Martin Orford - Classical Music and Popular Songs

Iffy title, but I am assured that the contents are up to standards.

"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Teunis

Swelter - Songs of Distance

Bought it from a colleague, who is the lead singer of the band  ;D. Not prog, they call it 'melancholic guitar pop'  :). But I quite enjoy it and that's what counts  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

I bought a few movies today:

Apocalypse Watch
- based on a book of Robert Ludlum. Good old spy-games movie.

Catch Me If You Can - Brilliant movie with two great actors (Hanks and DeCaprio). I've already seen it in the cinema and saw it twice on the Dutch telly (with commercial breaks  ::)) and now i also have it on DVD.

Masada - tv-movie about a Roman invasion of a mountain/hideout in Israël next to the Dead Sea and about the Jews who hide there. Great serie from the eighties with actors like Peter O'Toole and Peter Straus. Six hours of great acting. A Classic.

The Dark Knight - I didn't have it and i never saw it. Now i have it but still haven't seen it.  ::) ;D

Iggy

aswas

Symphony X-    "V"
Probably their best cd

Also I finally bought the Rick Wakeman the 6 DVD Collection "The Vault" Now I am broke, but for Wakeman freaks like me, it was worth the money
don't fly... too close to the sun

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2009-06-27, 17:40:46
Downloaded Ki by DT

Hehe, for a moment you really got me there.  :D

Mind you, a brief moment.  ;)

maddox

Quote from: aswas on Sat, 2009-06-27, 19:08:53
Symphony X-    "V"
Probably their best cd

I think you're right about that, though i must add that The Odyssey is also a mind blowing album.

aswas

about a month ago I purchased the original gold cd edition by PFM. It had to be replaced as my old cd was worn out. The first three cds by PFM were great, and then... they started stripping down the music a little. The live double CD is pretty cool they did a few years ago. Impossible to this date to get the dvd from the concert

Nicky007

Yeah, welcome, Aswas - says an oldie here  :)

You sound like you fit well into this gang of obsessive possessive progressives  ;D

Mind tellin us where you're based ?

Maybe you'd like to fill in a bit in your profile. (We're sooo nosy here, particularly Mad (Maddox), altho we're all pretty mad)  :D

We also have a Listening Profile. It'd be interesting to see your "track record" (carved out) in rock.

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2009-06-27, 19:43:10
I think you're right about that, though i must add that The Odyssey is also a mind blowing album.

... and Paradise Lost  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

aswas

yeah for many years. Based out of Jacksonville, Fl  originally from New York. Folks in Jax really don't understand prog but I am trying to change it, little by little, you know? I am a male 55, but don't feel like it. I am a keyboard player(started piano lessons at 5 years old) Will fill out profile Thanks and am really looking forward to sharing info with everyone about some cool prog I have found over the years

Nicky007

Quote from: aswas on Sat, 2009-06-27, 20:18:19
... am really looking forward to sharing info with everyone about some cool prog I have found over the years.

And we're really lookin forward to hearin about it  ;)

I am a male 55

So that makes you the oldest active member of the Room, but only by a year, as I'm 54  :)

... but don't feel like it.

Neither do I, except when I have to put Paxi (Paco) in place  ;D

Folks in Jax really don't understand prog ...

That's not only Jax !  It's Copenhagen, Denmark (where I live), New York (Manatee) ... I think pretty much all over the world, except maybe London and Seattle, where people seem a bit ahead.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-06-27, 20:27:14

So that makes you the oldest active member of the Room, but only by a year, as I'm 54  :)

I'm not sure about that.
If i remember correctly, and i definitely don't want to insult anyone [ ;)], Keith is even a bit older.

But you're right:

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-06-27, 20:27:14

Quote from: aswas on Sat, 2009-06-27, 20:18:19
am really looking forward to sharing info with everyone about some cool prog I have found over the years

And we're really lookin forward to hearin about it  ;)

We'd love to.  ;)

PH

I just did some digital shopping.
Just had to buy these:

- ELO - A New World Record
- ELO - Out Of The Blue
- ELO - Time
- Marillion - Holidays In Eden
- Marillion - Brave
- Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight

Just costed me € 45,18. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Only need to buy the other four Marillion albums and then I'm officially a true fan! ;)

-Paco