News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Kingcrow - In Crescendo (2013)

This tastes for more. Their music reminds me of the Swedish band 'Wolverine'. Especially their most recent release 'The Persistence', but the album I'm currently playing is also *horns*.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Teunis

Bjørn Riis - A Storm Is Coming

To be released on Friday 3rd May, but already on Progstreaming.nl. Second spin, if you like his other albums, both solo and Airbag, you will certainly dig it!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2019-04-28, 22:02:52
OK, cool! I have to be honest with you now. Vocals might put you off at first. Especially with Cheeto's Magazine, since they add a lot of over the top 'funny'/crazy voices. But their normal voices are OK.
jp: Cheeto's Magazine - Amazingous

Exactly like you said. Really great and fun music, but the funny/crazy voices are weird. Will get another spin.

np: Bjørn Riis - A Storm Is Coming

Nothing new under the sun, great anyway 8) ;)

Peter

PH, erik, Teunis,

you are really the few that remain regular posters. I believe we have regular visitors, silent readers, but as this forum is not part of Facebook/Instagram/..., and also not available as an app, it's gotten quite lonely in here somehow. "Now playing" web sites are there, but I find our forum much nicer, although I don't post much.

Lives go different directions, interests diverge, and last not least: People are lazy :) Including me. But I also actively reduced my consumption of internet, also I rarely find time to "really" listen to music, like in an album fashion. Many excuses and explanations, just my 2 cents, though.

By the way, this thread has more than 2 million views :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Teunis

Quote from: Peter on Sat, 2019-05-04, 13:21:00
Lives go different directions, interests diverge, and last not least: People are lazy :) Including me. But I also actively reduced my consumption of internet, also I rarely find time to "really" listen to music, like in an album fashion. Many excuses and explanations, just my 2 cents, though.
Fair enough, it's the way it goes for many people.

Yay for that *horns*. Oops, wrong thread ;).

np: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (2011 Remastered Version)

Really fell in love with this album when the Pink Floyd cover band 'Infloyd' played the entire album at a gig 8).

Teunis

jp: T - Solipsystemology (Trying after reading positive reviews, but two tracks before the end of the album I had heard enough).
np: Kayak - Seventeen (In exactly one week I'll be seeing them live, preparing ... 8).

Teunis

jp: Bjørn Riis - A Storm Is Coming (Nothing new, very recognisable yet a great album again 8)).
np: A.C.T. - Rebirth (Reminds me of Moon Safari, happy music. Like it :)).

Teunis

jp: Lonely Robot - Under Stars
np: Camel - Mirage

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2019-04-29, 19:57:57
Our opinons [about Ascending From Ashes] seem to differ ;). Nice and fresh music, would maybe even buy it without those screams. IMO too much, don't like that and more often playing the album wouldn't make a difference. Such a shame, it doesn't add to the feeling of the music as far as I'm concerned. One down, two to go ;D.

Fair enough. I can imagine the screams being too much.
By the way, you don't have to buy it. You can get their album for free when you follow them on Facebook, Spotify, Instagram and YouTube. They'll send you a copy. Teunis, you're probably not interested, but someone else reading this might be!

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2019-04-29, 20:07:32
Try 'The Persistence' [by Kingcrow]. Played it about 4 times by now. Not really a fan, just checking it out after reading a raving review. But it a good sign that I keep on playing it  *horns*. Will dig into their back catalogue as well.

Yes, you were right. It deserves a listen! I listened to it and was not bored. I'll listen to it again soon!

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2019-05-01, 19:54:11
Bjørn Riis - A Storm Is Coming

To be released on Friday 3rd May, but already on Progstreaming.nl. Second spin, if you like his other albums, both solo and Airbag, you will certainly dig it!

I remember Airbag being a new band way back in 2007. They released a demo EP album for free download then. It was quite popular and then they started releasing actual albums. Their first album was pretty nice, but to me it was a little bit of a let down after the promising demo EP. Every album after that got pretty good reviews, but I never had the same connection with them. Perhaps now is the time for change. This album goes on my 'discovery list'.
By the way, please Teunis, tell me, what exactly am I looking at in the album cover artwork? It's as if he's holding his buttocks... Or it might be my dirty mind...

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2019-05-03, 19:48:54
jp: Cheeto's Magazine - Amazingous

Exactly like you said. Really great and fun music, but the funny/crazy voices are weird. Will get another spin.

Cool! Yeah, it's something special. However you look at it.

"Now playing" web sites are there, but I find our forum much nicer, although I don't post much.

The difference between Facebook and this forum is depth. Social media is fast and shallow. On this forum we can discuss in depth and share our views.

Yeah, that's true.

Cool!

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2019-05-05, 21:22:32
np: Kayak - Seventeen (In exactly one week I'll be seeing them live, preparing ... 8).
Nice! I think that album is pretty good actually! I was pleasantly surprised. Are you a Kayak fan Teunis? I don't seem to remember you mentioning them a lot.

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2019-05-06, 19:28:35
np: A.C.T. - Rebirth (Reminds me of Moon Safari, happy music. Like it :)).

Ah cool! Haven't you heard any A.C.T albums prior to this one? If you like it, you should really check out their masterpiece "Last Epic" (2003) or their most accessible album "Silence" (2006). Their most recent proper studio album is "Circus Pandemonium" (2014), but that might have a bit too much metal elements for you. Not sure. It's not on Spotify anyway.
The "Rebirth" EP strangely sounds most like their first two albums though ("Today's Report" and "Imaginary Friends"). Good stuff!

Now listening to:
Chester Desmond - "Stay"
An A.C.T side project. Sounds a lot like A.C.T but more straight forward Pop/Rock and less theatrical music. Very good!! I'm really surprised and excited about it!

Also listened to:
Joey Frevola - "Gone"
I think I mentioned this before. This album has a lot of different elements, so many people will probably like it. Sometimes it reminds me of Neal Morse's music. And Dream Theater. But also Haken and Devin Townsend. And there's still room for something like Frost* and Moon Safari or The Flower Kings. It's a concept album. I haven't really gotten into the story yet, but the music is verrrrrrry good!

Peter

Red Sun Rising - [Polyester Zeal #10] Bliss

"....and I feel that my own bliss
was pure ignorance...."
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2019-05-09, 00:28:13
Yes, you were right. It deserves a listen! I listened to it and was not bored. I'll listen to it again soon!
Kingcrow rules indeed :).

Quote from: PH
By the way, please Teunis, tell me, what exactly am I looking at in the album cover artwork? It's as if he's holding his buttocks... Or it might be my dirty mind...
Well, now you say it ;D. Don't have a clue what it is. Frankly speaking I'm not a cover watcher at all. It's all about the music for me ;). And I love all the Airbag and Bjørn Riis solo albums 8).

Nice! I think that album is pretty good actually! I was pleasantly surprised. Are you a Kayak fan Teunis? I don't seem to remember you mentioning them a lot.
Definitely a good album! Kayak is one of my favourite Dutch prog bands. Not on the same level as e.g. Toto, Arena, IQ, Subsignal, but I consider myself a fan, though I don't own that many albums. When they're playing close to me, like Sunday in Zwolle, I'm attending the gig.

Ah cool! Haven't you heard any A.C.T albums prior to this one? If you like it, you should really check out their masterpiece "Last Epic" (2003) or their most accessible album "Silence" (2006). Their most recent proper studio album is "Circus Pandemonium" (2014), but that might have a bit too much metal elements for you. Not sure. It's not on Spotify anyway.
No, it was my first A.C.T. experience. I'll check 'Last Epic' and 'Silence' out, thanks!

jp: Asia - Astra
np: Kayak - The Anniversary Concert ~ Live In Paradiso

erik

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2019-05-09, 21:53:49
Kayak is one of my favourite Dutch prog bands. Not on the same level as e.g. Toto, Arena, IQ, Subsignal, but I consider myself a fan, though I don't own that many albums.
Great band, last year I bought the big 21 disc Journey Through Time box with all their albums (except "17"). I did not have any Kayak albums except Phantom Of The Night on vinyl and these box sets tend to sell out fast. Will also get 17 in due course.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2019-05-09, 21:53:49
No, it was my first A.C.T. experience. I'll check 'Last Epic' and 'Silence' out, thanks!

Have fun!

I listened to some new releases again:

Arch/Matheos - "Winter Ethereal"
Nice. Can't say I'm blown away, but it's good. It's on my list, so I'll keep them in mind. I really like Matheos' stuff on the OSI albums. Never really been a Fates Warning fan though. So I don't know much about their history. John Arch's voice is a bit too much of an 80's Heavy Metal voice for my liking. Perhaps it will grow on me.

Gong - "The Universe Also Collapses"
First few minutes of the first song bored me a lot. But then, after a while, I came to appreciate it. Not sure what to think of it though. They're of course influential since the 70's so I had to give them a chance. I'll probably listen to them again.

Alber Jupiter - "We Are Just Floating In Space"
Some sort of psychedelic rock. This kind of music always reminds me a bit of Hidria Spacefolk. Very punchy music. Not bad, actually. But in this kind of music it's hard to differentiate from all the other bands in the genre.

Arch Echo - "You Won't Believe What Happens Next!"
Instrumental Progressive Metal. Nice if you like that kind of stuff. I'm totally not in the mood for this right now, so it's probably not fair to listen to them at this moment. They know how to play their instruments, so it's all pretty technical. But it doesn't hit me in any way.

Handwrist - "Pilgrimage"
Also instrumental. From Portugal. I like this! It has a pastoral sound to it, which I always like.

Huis - "Abandoned"
I'm definitely listening to this more often. Both previous albums were pretty good! Especially recommended to Arena fans (of the 1995-1998 era).

Teunis

Quote from: erik on Fri, 2019-05-10, 19:13:16
Will also get 17 in due course.
May but it tomorrow after the gig :).

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2019-05-11, 18:56:16
Huis - "Abandoned"
I'm definitely listening to this more often. Both previous albums were pretty good! Especially recommended to Arena fans (of the 1995-1998 era).
Currently listening to it on Spotify. Sounding great, will be on my 'to buy' list. I own the previous two albums.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2019-05-11, 19:36:58
Currently listening to it on Spotify. Sounding great, will be on my 'to buy' list. I own the previous two albums.

Yeah me too. I'm now listening for the second time. In my previous post I recommended it to Arena fans of the "Songs...", "Pride" and "The Visitor" era. That's because on Huis' first album (especially) it reminded me a lot of that period, also because of the singer who sounded a bit like John Carson. But now it occurs to me that he also sounds a lot like Paul Manzi at times as well. They must have listened a lot to Arena I guess. Good stuff!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2019-05-11, 22:05:54
Yeah me too. I'm now listening for the second time. In my previous post I recommended it to Arena fans of the "Songs...", "Pride" and "The Visitor" era. That's because on Huis' first album (especially) it reminded me a lot of that period, also because of the singer who sounded a bit like John Carson. But now it occurs to me that he also sounds a lot like Paul Manzi at times as well. They must have listened a lot to Arena I guess. Good stuff!
Yeah, in this Dutch interview: https://www.rockportaal.nl/huis-abandoned/ Huis is compared with e.g. Arena, Knight Area and Unitopia. Great stuff indeed.

jp: Leprous - Malina (Today a gig @ Hedon Zwolle on 2nd November was announced, so I just had to hear this band 8). Me happy.)
np: RPWL - Tales From Outer Space (Another beautiful 2019 release *horns*)

Teunis

Teunis

The Reasoning - Dark Angel

Teunis

jp: Kingcrow - Phlegethon
np: Bjørn Riis - Coming Home

Teunis

jp: Wilson & Wakeman - Stripped
np: Antimatter - The Judas Table

Teunis

Soup - Children Of E.L.B.

Teunis

jp: Arena - Double Vision 8)
np: Riverside - Eye Of The Soundscape

Teunis

jp: Big Big Train - Grand Tour
np: Leprous - The Congregation

Teunis

jp: Lonely Robot - Under Stars
np: Teramaze - Her Halo

Teunis

jp: Blind Ego - Liquid (an excellent album *horns*)
np: Airbag - The Greatest Show On Earth 8)