News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Comment on the previous roomie's NP and list yours

Started by Nicky007, Wed, 2008-10-08, 20:38:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-10-21, 17:38:07
No Nicky! We love you!

Thanks, Paxi  :)

... like this ...

That's not my style (you may have noticed)  ;D

... we will forgive you that you've left Arena and DT for Nevermore.

Actually I havent. It's just that Nevermore trumps everything I'v heard.

But I'll give Queen a go!

Yes, do that, Paxi. Queen are one of the most intelligent, innovative, and spiritual groups to have visited this planet.

My fave Queen albums are Sheer Heart Attack (Freddie at his happiest) and Made In Heaven (Freddie at the end of his terrestrial visit). But let's not forget that the other Queen guys were and still are genii too, particularly Brian May.

But this [Brighton Rock] is by far not their best song.

Hold back there, Paxi. I consider BR one of their absolute best pieces, and I'm a long-term passionate Queen fan.

So, guys, this is now the song to comment on:

Blackfield - Open Mind

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-10-21, 17:38:07
Blackfield - Open Mind

Great song! I like how it starts with the acoustic guitar mixed on the left and the vocal on the right speaker. And then the chorus with the distorted guitars...I really didn't see that coming when listening to it for the first time. Another thing I like about the song are the harmony vocals in the verses.

It's still one of my favourite Blackfield songs. :)

Okay, my iPod is on shuffle right now and the next song is......

Pain Of Salvation - Flame To The Moth

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

OK, I'm bumping this thread to check up a last time whether it really bores roomies to death.

On several other music forums, this sorta thread is very lively (but not always as serious as I'v defined it)  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-10-29, 08:55:33
OK, I'm bumping this thread to check up a last time whether it really bores roomies to death.

Well, I tried to make it work by commenting on Paco's post and adding my own NP, but I'm not going to reply to my own post, otherwise you're gonna think that I'm schizophrenic, which we're obviously not! ;)

PH

I never heard the song, but I must say that Pain Of Salvation isn't really something for me.

Does that count as an answer?

Nicky007

Yes, Paxi, it does, cause it's informative, but we still need a comment on Toms' NP  ;D

Might be mine, but might also be someone else's  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2008-10-29, 09:32:46
... but I'm not going to reply to my own post, otherwise you're gonna think that I'm schizophrenic, which we're obviously not! ;)

;D Tom.

Let's see if we can kick some life into this thread again .....

So the "previous roomie's NP" (long ago) was Tom's NP Pain of Salvation's Flame To The Moth.

Hm, somehow I never dwelled on this song before. One obvious reason is that it's the song just before Enter Rain, which is one of my absolute faves by any group. But Tom, now that you have brought my attention to Moth, I can see that there's a lot to this song too. Now I'v listened to it four times in a row. I'd say for my part that there are a lot of interesting things going on, but it doesnt really grip me emotionally, except for the last short mellow part. I can't either quite discern what it's about - there's some criticism of "modern life", but then again, there's a lot of that in the other songs on the album - maybe Moth just doesnt grip me enuff  :(

If someone else has something interesting to say about Moth, then please contribute  ;)

- and Tom, I won't accuse you guys of being schizo  ;D

OK, that was the hard one - for me iac. Next an easy one:

NP  Pain of Salvation:  Enter Rain  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Quote from: Deenfan on Thu, 2008-10-09, 19:30:10
Finding a song that has got the word "Chelsea" in it, without being "Chelsea Monday", preferably by a band with a vast back catalogue, takes some dedication!! >:(

Participaaatiiiioooooo in my fine game is a way to quality musical experiences (of fire). ;D

Rubbish, I don't want to go to Chelsea - Elvis Costello

Easy one that......... ;D

I know it was with The Attractions but just putting Elvis Costello gives a huge back catalogue.

Nicky007

OK, time to kick some life into one of my old corpses:

NP  Pain of Salvation:  Enter Rain

Fabulous song, one of my faves  *horns*

Very dark, stunning lyrics, prophetical. Just realised how close PoS and Nevermore are.

Daniel reminds us of the responsibilty we have for this planet and it's living beings, and leads me on to think of all the simple things we can do this way, like help the old, poor and needy humans, become vegetarians, create and promote true art .....

A lot to think about in those lyrics  ;)

And what I also like is that the guys finish their album nicely - often neglected by other groups  :-\

So, now a quite different beast, just as fine:

NP  Arena:  Ascension

Anyone for corpses ? .....  ;D

..... Still wondering what Chelsea has to do with it .....  ::)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

OK, so nobody here knows Arena's Ascension. It's the last song on Contagion, and there's a heavier live version on the album from their 2003 Contagion tour, just as wonderful with a bit extra added. (If you're here and don't know who Arena are, then you're in deep sh*, and I'd advise you to seek a shrinko.)

It's one of my fave Arena songs, together with Witch Hunt, Butterfly Man, and Lara Moon.

The whole mood is overwhelming, an apotheosis. The lyrics are some of the greatest Clive has conjured up.

In my understanding, there are three parts:

"I feel vindicated
Looking back on what I've done
Not so complicated
When moments meet as one."

As the protagonist leaves the physical and rises up, he gains perspective on his life, makes syntheses, and draws out the essence.

"Are you ready to part the veil ?
And write a new beginning to this tale
Are you ready to start once more ?
With no idea of what's in store."

Reincarnation shines brightly out of this text. Also a new start of human evolution after severe sins and damages.

"Rising up
I'm learning to fly
I see creation from the stars
We've travelled so far."

Rising so high that one gets a full perspective on planet earth.

There's also the mature, tired soul that has "travelled so far."

I hope that Clive doesnt consider that I'v misinterpreted his text too badly  :-\ :)

So this time we take a song that you guys might know:

NP  Silent Night, Holy Night

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-02-05, 12:49:46

Nope, doesn't ring a (jingle) bell! ;) Is this also a song by Leonard Cohen? :P

I do like your view on Ascension though.

Tom

Nicky007

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-02-05, 12:49:46

Nice story, Wiki - Silent Night:

"Silent Night (German: Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht) is a popular Christmas carol [surprise there, guys]. The original lyrics of the song Stille Nacht were written in German by the Austrian priest Father Josef Mohr and the melody was composed by the Austrian headmaster Franz Xaver Gruber. In 1859, John Freeman Young published the English translation that is most frequently sung today. The version of the melody that is generally sung today differs slightly (particularly in the final strain) from Gruber's original. Today, the lyrics and melody are in the public domain.

The carol was first performed in the Nikolaus-Kirche (Church of St. Nicholas)  ;) in Oberndorf, Austria on December 24, 1818. Mohr had composed the words much earlier, in 1816, but on Christmas Eve brought them to Gruber and asked him to compose a melody and guitar accompaniment for the church service.

In his written account regarding the composition of the carol, Gruber gives no mention of the specific inspiration for creating the song. According to the song's history provided by Austria's Silent Night Society, one supposition is that the church organ was no longer working so that Mohr and Gruber therefore created a song for accompaniment by guitar. Silent Night historian, Renate Ebeling-Winkler says that the first mention of a broken organ was in a book published in the U.S. in 1909.

Some historians believe that Mohr simply wanted a new Christmas carol that he could play on his guitar. The Silent Night Society says that there are "many romantic stories and legends" that add their own anecdotal details to the known facts."

Did you guys know that there is a Silent Night Society ? - and Silent Night historians ?  :)

Probably not a place for proggies  ;D

So, guys:

NP  Queensrÿche:  I Will Remember

Prove to me that you're not a bunch'o w*nkers  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-10-21, 17:07:17
But I don't actually take it personally, not at all, no, by no means; no, I know that roomies think that I'm a shit, and that I'v left Arena and DT for Nevermore, and that I'm coarse and I insult people; but I don't actually care, no, not at all, I have my self-confidence, and nobody can hurt me ............... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  :'(

Nicky.

Hmmm........ very Emo of you.

That's right EMO.

YEAH>>>> EMO

HA hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

HAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  <into maniacle laughter>
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

maddox

Emo?

I know an Elmo.  :-\

What in the name of Zeus' grocery-list is an EMO?  ???
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Nicky007

;D Paxi

Just encountered this thread again by chance. Now that we got some new guys in the Room, maybe someone would like to play this game  ???

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Fri, 2009-04-10, 14:16:15
HAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  <into maniacle laughter>

That's very Emo, Matt  ;D

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2009-04-10, 15:16:38
What in the name of Zeus' grocery-list is an EMO?  ???

What in the name of Emo is Zeus' grocery list  ???

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

keyboardistmatt

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2009-08-09, 09:47:15

That's very Emo, Matt  ;D

Right.

That was maniacle laughter.

Emo's aren't known for their sense of laughter.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D