News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Riverside - Wasteland (Just had to hear it again after yesterday's gig 8))
Damian Wilson & Adam Wakeman - Stripped
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Since friday I have been listening a lot to Fervent Mind. A very versatile band from Norway with elements of post rock and little bits of metal in some places. I was happy to have discovered them. With every new listen I enjoy it more and more!
Today, on Progwereld, I read a review about their album (which is called "Tranquilize") and they are pretty positive already. But in my opinion Progwereld is even holding back a bit. I think this is a really good album! And it could appeal to many people.

Progwereld says it sounds like Massive Attack, Frequency Drift and Lesoir. I want to add to that and mention bands like Lunatic Soul for the ambient bits, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson for the more proggy and metal bits. But there's some good bit of pop music sensibilities in it as well, because there are many hooks in this music.

A recommendation from me.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2019-03-27, 23:23:40
Progwereld says it sounds like Massive Attack, Frequency Drift and Lesoir. I want to add to that and mention bands like Lunatic Soul for the ambient bits, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson for the more proggy and metal bits. But there's some good bit of pop music sensibilities in it as well, because there are many hooks in this music.

A recommendation from me.
I'll give it a try, though the influences that you mention are not really my cup of tea ::). Lesoir was the support act at the Riverside gig :).

jp: Bruce Soord & Jonas Renske - Wisdom Of Crowds
np: RPWL - Tales From Outer Space

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2019-03-28, 19:09:20
I'll give it a try, though the influences that you mention are not really my cup of tea ::). Lesoir was the support act at the Riverside gig :).
Actually, I won't really know about Massive Attack, Frequency Drift and Lesoir, because I don't know them (that well). But if they do sound like Fervent Mind, I might check them out! ;D

I really hear Lunatic Soul in this. And Steven Wilson indeed. But now that you mention it, there could be a bit of Bruce Soord/Pineapple Thief in it too.
(Just trying to win you over of course)

Anyway, I listen a lot to Fervent Mind these days. And I'm liking it sooooo much. I'm sure they will end up in my 2019 list somewhere.
And there is this other band: Fleesh, that I begin to like just as much. Both bands are fronted by a woman. I'm normally not very much into female vocals, but for some reason it really does the trick this time.

Another band I'd like to mention is Now In Colours. They're from Australia and I think they're really good! They remind me of a less heavy Haken. It's a bit like how Agent Fresco sounded somewhat like Leprous. Now In Colours sounds somewhat like Haken. Mostly because of the vocalist I think, I don't know.
The only drawback is the production. It sounds a bit compressed on Spotify and Bandcamp and the other digital formats. I hope it's better on an actual cd. I'd really like to try!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2019-03-29, 20:00:06
I really hear Lunatic Soul in this. And Steven Wilson indeed. But now that you mention it, there could be a bit of Bruce Soord/Pineapple Thief in it too.
(Just trying to win you over of course)
:D  I'll have a listen and will let you know. I do prefer male vocals as well, but there are exceptions indeed ;). This evening just male vocals:

jp: Damian Wilson - Cosmas (Preparing for the gig in exactly one week)
np: Alan Reed - First In A Field Of One

Teunis

jp: Gazpacho - Demon
np: Fervent Mind - Tranquilize (Like the music, but the female vocals don't appeal to me unfortunately. Find it a bit boring ... :-\ )

Teunis

jp: Damian Wilson & Adam Wakeman - Stripped
np: Bruse Soord & Jonas Renske - Wisdom Of Crowds

Teunis

Genesis - Calling All Stations

Teunis

jp: Cosmograf - Mind Over Depth
np: X-Panda - Reflections

Teunis

RPWL - Tales From Outer Space (Liking it more and more, great album!)

Teunis

Teunis

jp: Steve Lukather - Candyman
np: Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives Of Henry VIII

PH

Ascending From Ashes - "Glory"

Wow! What a cool band! Pretty heavy (even some harsh vocals here and there) but verrrrrrry melodic stuff. Reminds me a tiny little bit of Leprous. But they also give me a Dear Hunter vibe in some way.
Check it out guys!

Teunis

Mostly Autumn - White Rainbow

Teunis

jp: Martin Orford - The Old Road
np: Soen - Lotus  8)

Teunis

pp: X-Panda - Flight Of Fancy
jp: Star One - Space Metal *horns*
np: Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura  8)

Teunis

jp: Threshold - March Of Progress *horns*
np: Lonely Robot - Under Stars

Teunis

pp: Lonely Robot - Under Stars
jp: IQ - Ever (25th Anniversary 5.1 mix) Goosebumps  8)
np: Leprous - Malina  *horns*

PH

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2019-04-22, 18:13:52
Ascending From Ashes - "Glory"

Still listening to this daily.

Also, today I listened to Cheeto's Magazine's "Amazingous" again. What a briliant album! Brilliant but strange. Seriously guys, check it out. On ProgArchives it has only 49 ratings and 3 reviews (two of them full five stars, the third a four stars review). So they're not well known at all, but they still got an overall 4.14 stars rating which is stunning.

I expect both bands mentioned in this post to position high in my 2019 end list.

Also listened to A.C.T's "Rebirth" EP. Coooool but short! :-\ They're hinting at more to come, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2019-04-27, 22:54:45
Still listening to this daily.

Also, today I listened to Cheeto's Magazine's "Amazingous" again. What a briliant album! Brilliant but strange. Seriously guys, check it out. On ProgArchives it has only 49 ratings and 3 reviews (two of them full five stars, the third a four stars review). So they're not well known at all, but they still got an overall 4.14 stars rating which is stunning.

I expect both bands mentioned in this post to position high in my 2019 end list.

Also listened to A.C.T's "Rebirth" EP. Coooool but short! :-\ They're hinting at more to come, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I'll check these 3 out ;). A.C.T. has been on my 'to check out' list for so long, but there's so much great music ...

jp: Kingcrow - The Persistence (beautiful album *horns*)
np: Lucy In Blue - In Flight (recommended in the Dutch magazine 'iO-pages', not bad so far :))

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2019-04-28, 21:40:01
I'll check these 3 out ;). A.C.T. has been on my 'to check out' list for so long, but there's so much great music ...

OK, cool! I have to be honest with you now. Vocals might put you off at first. Especially with Cheeto's Magazine, since they add a lot of over the top 'funny'/crazy voices. But their normal voices are OK.
Ascending From Ashes has very nice vocals on the other hand. But they also have harsh vocals, some screams in some songs. In my opinion there's not too much of it, and the good outweighs the bad anyway here.
Even A.C.T's vocals are an acquired taste. A bit nasal.

Perseverance is the key word in these cases. A good christian virtue I might say. ;)

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2019-04-28, 21:40:01
jp: Kingcrow - The Persistence (beautiful album *horns*)
np: Lucy In Blue - In Flight (recommended in the Dutch magazine 'iO-pages', not bad so far :))

Lucy In Blue is on my (very long) to do list. So I'll get there eventually. Kingcrow I've heard good things about. Are you a fan? Where should I start?

Now listening to:
3 Crows - "It's A Murder"
A bit Funk, a bit Jazz, a bit Rock. I'd say Fusion. Like it!

Also listened to:
Avalanch - "The Secret"
Reminds me of things like Kamelot and the likes. Pretty good actually. They also released a Spanish version called "El Secreto".

Another album I'd like to mention that has caught my ears is:
Anvil Therapy - "Duality"
It's Progressive Metal from Italy. But not typically Italian Metal (like Rhapsody and those other Power Metal acts). Singer sounds a bit like James LaBrie. Band sounds nothing like Dream Theater though.

PH

Hans Lundin - "Tales", the first solo album and part of the 6 disc boxset I recently bought.
Charming music. I guess this is not for everyone. As a Kaipa fan and a synthesizer enthusiast and on top of that, seeing the 80's a bit as a 'guilty pleasure', I like it! Makes me think a bit of the video game music of the old MSX days.
Unfortunately it's not on Spotify but there are some samples on YouTube:

Tales album

Boxset

PH

Jordan Rudess - "Wired For Madness"
Jordan is really surpassing himself here. This sounds really good. It's better than any solo album before I've heard. He's being very ambitious here, trying hard, really reaching for the very best. Actually it's the first solo album of him that I bought. He's really getting somewhere here. Like he has saved all his musical ideas for this album.

At the moment I have only bought three 2019 albums: Neal Morse's "The Great Adventure", Dream Theater's "Distance Over Time" and Jordan's solo album.
Jordan is coming in at number two here. (I'm such a Neal Morse fanboy.) I dare to say that his solo album is better than his contributions to the Dream Theater album (which, in itself, is better than anything since "Black Clouds..."

Now listening to:
The Room - "Caught By The Machine"
This is nice. Neo-Prog 'by the numbers', but for some reason I like it. Might be John Mitchell's backing vocals haunting this record. Or the professional production, the strong melodies. With all the competition, only time will tell how well this will do.

Same goes for all the other bands.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2019-04-28, 22:02:52
Ascending From Ashes has very nice vocals on the other hand. But they also have harsh vocals, some screams in some songs. In my opinion there's not too much of it, and the good outweighs the bad anyway here.
Our opinons seem to differ ;). Nice and fresh music, would maybe even buy it without those screams. IMO too much, don't like that and more often playing the album wouldn't make a difference. Such a shame, it doesn't add to the feeling of the music as far as I'm concerned. One down, two to go ;D.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2019-04-28, 22:02:52
Kingcrow I've heard good things about. Are you a fan? Where should I start?
Try 'The Persistence'. Played it about 4 times by now. Not really a fan, just checking it out after reading a raving review. But it a good sign that I keep on playing it  *horns*. Will dig into their back catalogue as well.