News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

h9

Started by h9, Sun, 2008-11-16, 09:56:06

Previous topic - Next topic

h9

I am basically a poppy lover. in my country there are only 2 genres that being spotlight for every entertainment or TV Shows. The first one is Pop (a little rock, much in crying  ;D), the another one is Dangdut. (full of shaky mann). Early 2000s, i have only 2 favorite band, 'Bon Jovi' and all of Jon works, also a local hero band, named 'Padi'. Padi is a Pop band that blend it with many change of tempo and have a little bit rock mood.
Mid 2004, my ear found something strange sound. Yeah, my friend poison me with 'Metalisque' sound. He provoked me to hear Dream Theater everyday. Unfortunately, my heart is hang on Pop Sound. So, Dream Theater album that fit to my ear only 'Falling into infinity' especially Anna Lee and take away my pain. That condition hold out till end 2004. New Year 2005, i started love the dark side of DT. Train of Thought and Awake was my anthem. And then i see that They are inspired by Rush and Yes. So, 2005 and 2006 is my year to explore 70s sound. I really love Yes, Genesis, ELP and Pink Floyd. I only found that band because in my country (especially my city, Jogjakarta) there was a really limit media to explore another 70s sound.
In 2007, i moved to the capitol city of Indonesia, Jakarta. Supported by rock community and one stop media, Internet, I found many many strange sounds, that really a Gold for me.
It was gift for my ear. I very enjoy a progressive 'unique' metal band like Pain Of Salvation and Riverside. And then i love the great work by Gary Wehrkamp with Shadow Gallery and Amaran's Plight.
Beside that i also like a speed metal band such as adagio and Symphony X.
I also fit with italian symphonic work by PFM, Banco Del Mutu Soccorso, Apoteosi, and Le Orme.
Parallel with previous mood, i also love the brazilian symphonic band such as Spin XXI, Index, and Bacamarte.
And nowadays, i prefer to hear the nice one, especially from the Neo prog genre.
IQ, Pendragon, and now Arena are joined with Skeem, Vantasma, Sylvan, Collage, Satellite, Knight Area, Clepsydra, Pallas, Abraxas and etc, as my fave Music.   

PH

Great story! And nice bands you mention too!
Welcome to the Room!

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: h9 on Sun, 2008-11-16, 09:56:06
I am basically a poppy lover.

I misunderstood that at first glimpse. (Thought of the stuff one smokes etc., but that just might be my problematic background)  ;D

Yeah, Welcome, h9, and thanks for writing up your LP - very interesting  8)

Maybe you'd also like to list some personal info in your Profile  :)

Most of the bands you mention are popular in the Room, so I expect that you'l feel at home here.

However, I wouldnt call SyX a speed metal band. They're much too good for that. Let's just settle on the open-ended "prog metal"  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

h9

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-11-17, 12:16:27
I misunderstood that at first glimpse. (Thought of the stuff one smokes etc., but that just might be my problematic background)  ;D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-11-17, 12:16:27
Yeah, Welcome, h9, and thanks for writing up your LP - very interesting  8)

However, I wouldnt call SyX a speed metal band. They're much too good for that. Let's just settle on the open-ended "prog metal"  :)

Nicky.

Yup, you're extremely right Bro, SyX is too simple to be called as just a speed metal band. They have a unique sound and consistently play in 'the right' way.
They walk beside DT, FW, SE, PoS, and others Progmet Band.

Hanin.

Nicky007

And, Hanin, how about Opeth, Circus Maximus, Scar Symmetry, Nevermore, Vanden Plas, Tool, and Kamelot ?  :)

Any Indonesian rock bands worth listening to ?  (Dont know any myself)  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

h9

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-11-17, 13:03:28
And, Hanin, how about Opeth, Circus Maximus, Scar Symmetry, Nevermore, Vanden Plas, Tool, and Kamelot ?  :)

Nicky.

Vanden Plas is one of my favorite bands. Especially Andy Kuntz's voice. I have 'poisoned' my friend to turn into 'ProgWay' after i lend him 'Beyond Daylight' album, and off course Kuntz project 'Abydos'.
I feel better to hear Akerfeldt voice in clearer one, not in his Growl  :D, However I impress with opeth especially with 'still life' and 'Ghost reveries'.
'Circus maximus' also very well band from scandinavian, but their sound is heavy as Pagan's Mind. I prefer hear 'Magic pie', that IMO sounds more symphonic.
I'm not too fit to hear Tool, although i love the 'dark mood' that delivers into their album. 
Kamelot is nice band, especially with 'memento mori'. Nice prog metal band that not too prog (My feeling when hear 'The black halo' is greater than 'The Ghost Opera')  :)
I have ever hear Nevermore, but just once in one of Rock Radio Station in Jakarta. So far, I don't have their album
Scar Symmetry?, i just hear this band now  ;)

(sorry if my english is in disorder)  ;)

h9

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-11-17, 13:03:28

Nicky.

Vanden Plas is one of my favorite bands. Especially Andy Kuntz's voice. I have 'poisoned' my friend to turn into 'ProgWay' after i lend him 'Beyond Daylight' album, and off course Kuntz project 'Abydos'.
I feel better to hear Akerfeldt voice in clearer one, not in his Growl  :D, However I impress with opeth especially with 'still life' and 'Ghost reveries'.
'Circus maximus' also very well band from scandinavian, but their sound is heavy as Pagan's Mind. I prefer hear 'Magic pie', that IMO sounds more symphonic.
I'm not too fit to hear Tool, although i love the 'dark mood' that delivers into their album. 
Kamelot is nice band, especially with 'memento mori'. Nice prog metal band that not too prog (My feeling when hear 'The black halo' is greater than 'The Ghost Opera')  :)
I have ever hear Nevermore, but just once in one of Rock Radio Station in Jakarta. So far, I don't have their album
Scar Symmetry?, i just hear this band now  ;)

I think you should hear 'Vantasma', as one of coll Neo-prog band originate from Indonesia. Their sound is very 'Pendragon' and a little infiltration from Shadow Gallery.
You could googling this band, especially by their first album 'Beyond Fallen Dreams' (2006).
If you like Prog Metal too much, you can try 'Ballerina' with their debut 'dance of Ballet' (2007).
Both of them are very great.  ;D
100% comes from my country  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: h9 on Mon, 2008-11-17, 13:57:10

That's quite ok, Hanin. I'm aware that Indonesian is remote from English, so I'm happy that you've learnt enough English to be understood, and I understand you fully (I think)  :)

If I had to write this stuff in Indonesian, I think it would be far more disordered  ;D

Their latest studio album, Christ 0, is great too  *horns*

I feel better to hear Akerfeldt voice in clearer one, not in his growl  :D

Generally I do too, but now I'v listened to so much growl that I'm no longer bothered by it. Only if it's constant growl/shout, like with Arch Enemy, then I get tired of it.

I have only heard Nevermore once, on Rock Radio Station in Jakarta.

Start with their second studio album, In Memory. It's wonderful - mainly mellow, very melodic, and philosophical. After that, you could try Dreaming Neon Black. Their latest two studio albums, Enemies Of Reality and This Godless Endeavor, are pretty rough - but I sure love'm  *horns*

So far, I don't have any album by Scar Symmetry. I just heard this band recently  ;)

I can recommend their latest studio album, Holographic Unverse. It's terrific !  You'l have to get used to growl though, because there's a lot of it on HU  ;)

I think you should hear 'Vantasma', as one of coll Neo-prog band originate from Indonesia. Their sound is very 'Pendragon' and a little infiltration from Shadow Gallery.
You could googling this band, especially by their first album 'Beyond Fallen Dreams' (2006).
If you like Prog Metal too much, you can try 'Ballerina' with their debut 'dance of Ballet' (2007).
Both of them are very great.  ;D
100% from my country  ;D

Thanks, Hanin, I'l check'm up  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

I like your picture  ;D

and welcome.

And I agree with Nicky your English is far better than my Indonesian or German or Dutch or French or Norwegian

Teunis

Welcome to the forum H9. I've seen some great bands among your list: for example Shadow Gallery, Amaran's Plight, IQ, Pendragon, Pallas, Knight Area, Satellite. They're favourites of mine too  *horns*.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

How about Arena, Teunis ?   ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-11-17, 19:49:30
How about Arena, Teunis ?   ;D

Nicky.
That seemed quite obvious to me  ;)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Arena is an awful band. Not worth your ears.

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2008-11-17, 19:52:59
I full agree with you. :D
Welcome to the room, h9 !
Let your conscience decide !

Deenfan

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2008-11-17, 19:52:59

:o Controversial!!

h9

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2008-11-17, 18:42:50
I like your picture  ;D

and welcome.

And I agree with Nicky your English is far better than my Indonesian or German or Dutch or French or Norwegian

Thank's Iggy. 'Yes' is my first band that sends me to unusual genre  ???
@Nicky : thank you for your guide to explore nevermore and scar symmetry.
And finally i also agree with both of you, I'm sure your Indonesian is 'poor'  ;D, and maybe you never hear any prog-band from my country, eh?.  ::)

Nicky007

Quote from: h9 on Tue, 2008-11-18, 16:25:03
@Nicky : thank you for your guide to explore nevermore and scar symmetry.

Welcome, Hanin  :)

Nevermore are presently my nb 1 group, and Scar Symmetry range 3-5  *horns*

Yes were for a long time my nb 1 group  8)

And finally i also agree with both of you, I'm sure your Indonesian is 'poor'  ;D

How about "nonexistant"  ;D

... maybe you never hear any prog-band from my country, eh?.  ::) 

Depends ....

One would think that a country of over 200 million inhabitants could bring forth some progrock talent  :-\

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can