News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Technical Question for everyone-hard drives

Started by Angel-of-Music, Fri, 2006-05-12, 13:15:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel-of-Music

I've been looking around and can't see that anyone has done this before, but apologies in advance if I missed it...... ;D

I'm doing a bit of research, and I'm interested to know what everyone's favourite make of hard drive is and why, as well as what you don't like about that make......

thanks!  ;D

Peter

I've been working with an Internet Company for the last 6 years now. They're running large datacenters with now well over 30000 servers. The experiences they made are -in short- the following:

Seagate drives are superior in speed and durability, plus they have a 5 year warranty now.
Hitachi (former IBM) drives are close up in speed and durability, but max 3 or even 2 years warranty
Maxtor drives are good for hanging to the wall

WD drives were tested long ago and were no good then, but they have a new offering of ATA drives now which promise to be as good as SCSI server drives.

I use Seagate drives in about 500 desktop machines I supervise and at home. Good choice so far.

No, I'm not on the Seagate payroll... :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

I found Western Digital hard drives to be very touchy in computers that I've used, and WD just don't work on samplers at all.  WD seem to work best in Hewlett Packard PCs.

In my laptop (which I use for everything - including writing this) I use a 40GB Seagate drive without any trouble at all.

In my sampler (which is an E:MU 'ESynth') I exclusively use a 3GB Quantum 'Fireball' drive.  It is a little noisy, but for holding samples and sound information, it works like a dream! :)

I've tested a few hard drives in my sampler, (WD, Seagate, Maxtor, and IBM) and the Quantum was the best without question. 
The WD started heating up instead of working, Seagate was good, but the capacity was too big for the sampler to register (20GB...).  The IBM drive was very touchy and sometimes worked, and sometimes didn't. 

The Maxtor drive kept losing my samples somehow, and got thrown accross the room. ;D

Rock...and...Roll. *horns*
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Cyborg-Frask

Well i use hard drives from Maxtor now...

I'm really satisfied with them... My older computer has 1 in it for 4 years now.. never had any problems...

On my other computer has 2 hard drives, Both from Maxtor and they are installed in RAID 0, and that goes pretty well

when i wanted to buy a new computer i really didn't know what to buy, there was so much choise. First i thought of buying a Raptor (that monster runs on 10.000 rpm) but the thing is known becuase of it's loud noise is makes while it's running. so RAID 0 was a great solution and pretty cheap in comparing to a raptor hard drive.

johninblack

I have 2 Seagate drives and 1 WD on my machine and so far I can't choose between them. (they all run at 7200rpm)

PH

I have absolutely no idea, and I wonder why you have.

I have absolutely no idea what hard drive is in my pc...
Well, actually I think I have a Maxtor.
It's quite good, I have a lot of things on it! ;)

Angel-of-Music

Great, thanks you guys, I knew you'd have something to say on this topic.  ;) Basically I'm doing some copywriting, and the subject  I was given to write about is hard drives (which I know nothing about). I'm currently having to write in detail about the different brands, models, and drawbacks/problems etc and your comments have helped me! Keep em coming..... x    ;D

NijntjeRocks

Well, I use Maxtor and Quantum, both work fine, though the Maxtor can be touchy, but you have to be rude.
The Quantum is very solid, no problems at all, can throw it against the wall while working without noticing anything in a matter of speaking ;)

I should tell you that the Quantum is pre Maxtor-Quantumfusion and I think Maxtor had adopted the reliable techniques in its HD's since.
before that I never bought one, 'till I got one from a friend who told me it was a fine HD.
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

maddox

I have absolutely no idea.  ??? :-\

Not much of a help am i?  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Appelmoes??

I myself make sure I never let knowledge like that enter my mind. Before you know it, everybody is asking you questions about it ;D

(I'll stick to (micro)biology...)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2006-05-15, 21:56:54(I'll stick to (micro)biology...)

Ah cool! That's far more interesting than Harddrives if you ask me! ;)

marcello

Maxtor hard drives are the best!!!!

No particular reason why i like them.
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

Appelmoes??

Quote from: marcello on Tue, 2006-05-16, 12:07:25

Maybe because they are the best ???

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: marcello on Tue, 2006-05-16, 12:07:25

Fully agreed!

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Crazy Diamond

maddox

johninblack

Quote from: Crazy Diamond on Tue, 2006-05-16, 19:47:00
What's a hard drive ?

It's a drive that kicks the shit outta anyone that insults it. ;)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: johninblack on Tue, 2006-05-16, 20:04:59
It's a drive that kicks the shit outta anyone that insults it. ;)
Well, that saves a trip to the toillet ;D

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

marcello

I've noticed something actually. I've installed Half Life 2 onto an external maxtor hard drive and it makes these creeking sounds every time the game loads. Anyone else experience this  ???
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

marcello

*Not the regular creek of a hard drive, I mean very creeky.

funkster

Any time we go back to speaking english on this thread and away from some hybrid of techno geek babble then please invite me back to the party  :-[

This aint rock n roll this is computer talk

as Bowie once almost said

PH

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2006-05-18, 22:25:04
Any time we go back to speaking english on this thread and away from some hybrid of techno geek babble then please invite me back to the party  :-[

This aint rock n roll this is computer talk

as Bowie once almost said

Well, I can follow the last 10 replies though. ;D

keyboardistmatt

...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt