News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

funkster

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2014-05-02, 22:50:12
For me the top 3 are Subterranea, The Seventh House and Dark Matter but I think Teunis may disagree  :)

And me  ;)

The wake
Seventh house (Erosion is worth the price of admission alone)
Dark matter

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2014-05-02, 22:50:12
For me the top 3 are Subterranea, The Seventh House and Dark Matter but I think Teunis may disagree  :)
You'll be surprised then:
The Seventh House, Frequency and Dark Matter. But Ever and Subterranea not far away :).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: funkster on Fri, 2014-05-02, 22:19:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW-LbXzzuDg

Just discovered Novembers doom - a mix of Opeth ,My dying bride , Paradise Lost , Anathema and maybe a bit of Enslaved but i am more impressed by them than i have been with a metal band for a huge time  *horns*

Thanks -  I'll look into them.

That's a great mix of influences they have.
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Teunis

Still waiting for the new IQ album, not received by my local record show yet :-\.

Gazpacho - Demon

Which is a great listening experience as well ;).

Iggy

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2014-05-03, 11:41:16
Still waiting for the new IQ album, not received by my local record show yet :-\.

Gazpacho - Demon

Which is a great listening experience as well ;).

Yep I am really enjoying Demon as well. The new IQ is a fast grower. My top 3 may be changing soon.

NP The Road of Bones.

Teunis

IQ - The Seventh House  *horns*

Got a mail that my shop just received 'The Road Of Bones'. Woohoo!  *ola*

Teunis

IQ - The Road Of Bones (Played both discs twice in a row, and it's well worth the wait 8). Will definitely grow and enter my IQ top-3 after more listenings.)
Votum - Harvest Moon

PH

There's a lot of IQ talk here right now. :P

Just finished IQ's "Frequency" and enjoyed it! I think I need to listen a bit more to this.

Now listening to bits of "Subterranea" on YouTube. It's not bad, but the vocals are so different! It shocked me a bit. Some vocalists clearly get better with the years.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2014-05-04, 17:24:00
Now listening to bits of "Subterranea" on YouTube. It's not bad, but the vocals are so different! It shocked me a bit. Some vocalists clearly get better with the years.
???. Never noticed that, but it's been a while since I played 'Subterranea'. Will dig into that. I agree though that the voice of Peter Nicholls is still developing, it's really awesome on the new album.

np: IQ - The Road Of Bones  8)

Bupie

@ PH I am a bit biased with IQ since I discovered them with the two Menel albums. And my favorite IQ album is still the one that can be seen on the left  :) Especially War Heroes and Wurensh are great tracks IMO. But I am clearly in a tiny minority here.

So I would advice you to go with Ever which is an excellent album with no weak track and which is maybe easier to digest than the two CDs of Subterranea. The funny part of the advice being that I remember being awfully disappointed when Ever was released : it seemed to me such a drop compared to AYSC ! I have slightly changed my mind since that time, a time when I was not really into prog rock.

NP A.C.T. : Circus Pandemonium

PH

Actually, musically I really liked IQ's double album! And honestly, Peter's vocals aren't that bad at all. His voice is one of the best I know, especially on "The Seventh House" and "Dark Matter". So I was a bit disappointed when I heard his voice on "Subterranea". It seems something magical happened between "Subterranea" and "The Seventh House".

Now listening again to "Subterranea". I guess there's more money to be spent.

Bupie

Indeed you can consider yourself lucky to have all the IQ back catalog to discover : it promises great listens  *horns* But don't skip Nonzamo et AYSC on the basis of bad press/reviews without trying to make your own opinion based on actual listening.

NP Styx - Paradise Theatre

Despite its -IMHO- great cover and interesting concept, this one made very little impact on me by the time of its release. But it's never too late to give it another chance ...

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2014-05-02, 21:45:07
So what is the absolute best IQ album then?

Simple. The Road Of Bones. *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Bupie

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2014-05-06, 12:55:34
Simple. The Road Of Bones. *horns*

Tom
Sounds promising  :D

JF Styx - Paradise Theatre I am happy with what I heard : Half-Penny, Two-Penny is a great song  *horns*

NP IQ - Subterranea

keyboardistmatt

New Order - "True Faith"

Bupie

NP DeeExpus - Half Way Home

Teunis

Huis - Despite Guardian Angels

It arrived today, another album I bought after hearing it on Progstreaming  8) *horns*.

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2014-05-06, 11:52:30
Indeed you can consider yourself lucky to have all the IQ back catalog to discover : it promises great listens  *horns* But don't skip Nonzamo et AYSC on the basis of bad press/reviews without trying to make your own opinion based on actual listening.

I'll make sure to listen to the Menel era albums too. I don't mind my prog being on a poppy side every once in a while (Kino, Blackfield, "90125", etc). For now I'm still digging "Subterranea", which is really nice I must say.

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2014-05-06, 13:46:22
Sounds promising  :D

Sounds promising indeed!
Today I checked in the record store, but no "Road Of Bones". So I wanted to buy it online through Grooves-Inc, but they don't have it yet either. I guess I have to wait a bit longer...

keyboardistmatt

Ozric Tentacles - "Steep"
From 'Swirly Termination'

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2014-05-06, 20:39:22
I'll make sure to listen to the Menel era albums too. I don't mind my prog being on a poppy side every once in a while (Kino, Blackfield, "90125", etc). For now I'm still digging "Subterranea", which is really nice I must say.
;)

QuoteToday I checked in the record store, but no "Road Of Bones". So I wanted to buy it online through Grooves-Inc, but they don't have it yet either. I guess I have to wait a bit longer...
I ordered it from progrock.co.uk about ten days ago but it still appears in the pre-order category so I should have to wait a few more days ...

NP Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Watch

How brilliant ! Another forgotten gem. Maybe your father could talk to you about this one, PH ?

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2014-05-07, 09:38:12
NP Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Watch

How brilliant ! Another forgotten gem. Maybe your father could talk to you about this one, PH ?

:) I'll ask him about Manfred Mann's Earth Band!

I'm not playing anything at the moment, but my brother is sitting next to me and he's listening to Pure Reason Revolution. ;D

Bupie

NP Anubis Gate - Horizons

On progstreaming.com. Very interesting. Needs further listens on a better audio support but it could become as addictive as Circus Maximus' Nine. We'll see.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2014-05-07, 12:01:36
NP Anubis Gate - Horizons

You hit a great group there, Bupie 8)

To me, Royal Hunt, Anubis Gate, and Beyond Twilight are the three great Danish groups, RH more traditional melodic progmetal, in style with SW, while AG are more odd, seeking, and grim, and BT are symphonic, melodic, and experimental.

All three have excellent philosophic lyrics, and with all it's important to get into the lyrics.

I haven't yet heard Horizons - will do so asap, Thanx for notifying us, Bupie :)

I highly recommend Andromeda Unchained and The Detached by AG, both for the music and the lyrics *horns*

I'v written a lot about both in the Room, so I won't now again ;)

NP  Agni:  Kashmir

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiI5jInjxXA

Fine Indian rock/metal group, a bit retro, nice lyrics too:

"Maybe I was born to write down this song
Of lands known far and wide
And stories bygone
It's all about this place white mountains embrace
Cold winds moving by
Move down treetops with grace

Where the valleys out in green
they're crying out of the scene
bringing colours of true love
To the people beneath"

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

I let Anubis Gate aside for a while : I can hear very good things but I am definitively not in a prog metal mood these days. But I am a bit surprised that you find more similarities between RH and SW than between AG and SW. I would have said the opposite.

JF IQ - Dark Matter

Strangely enough, it's probably my least liked IQ album -which means that I still do like it- with The Wake.

NP Karmakanic - Live In The US

Plain awesome 8) And I finally got the real CDs. A nice review here : http://www.backgroundmagazine.nl/CDreviews/KarmakanicLiveInTheUS.html

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2014-05-07, 15:53:17
I am a bit surprised that you find more similarities between RH and SW than between AG and SW. I would have said the opposite.

Now I haven't yet heard Horizons. But all three are melodic progmetal with philosophic lyrics. I just find Andromeda Unchained and The Detached a bit grimmer than RH's and SW's albums.

Also try Beyond Twilight's Section X sometime, Bupie, super album, grim too, with my fave singer Kelly Sundown *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me