News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Waiting for the Flood

Started by il76candid, Wed, 2006-08-16, 11:21:45

Previous topic - Next topic

il76candid

Sometimes when you hear a piece of music it immediately reminds you of another song.
As soon as i heard Waiting for the Flood from the Immortal album
it immediately reminded me of Queensryche's Silent Lucidity !!!
Has anyone else noticed the similarity ?

Constable Hogweed

I haven't heard "Silent Lucidity" before.......However i absolutely love "Waiting For The Flood"  :)

kmorse

I can understand where someone would hear similiarities. It reminds me a bit of Jethro Tull. It is one of Rob's best vocal performances, in my opinion.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Peter

Quote from: Constable Hogweed on Wed, 2006-08-23, 16:28:10
I haven't heard "Silent Lucidity" before.......

You're kidding, right...?

QuoteHowever i absolutely love "Waiting For The Flood"  :)

Yeah, we all do :D
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Appelmoes??

I think it's my least favourite Arena song (except for some instrumentals on 'Songs' and 'Pride' :-\ imo, it doesn't fit the album musically and it's to much of a contradiction to the powerfull Chosen.

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Appelmoes??, you just hit me real hard. You will be banned to the edge of the Earth, naked. And your only equipment will be a stick, a rubber duck, an peeled orange and a maxi single of Waiting For the Flood.

Cyborg-Frask

I think Waiting for the flood is a really good song...

Tho I like the hard parts more in it then the calm parts...(as far as there are hard parts in it)

But when i'm in a calm-mood....it's always a nice song  ;)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2006-08-23, 22:05:16
Appelmoes??, you just hit me real hard. You will be banned to the edge of the Earth, naked. And your only equipment will be a stick, a rubber duck, an peeled orange
[/quote]
Cool!
Quoteand a maxi single of Waiting For the Flood.
So there will be three other songs? Do-able 8)

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: il76candid on Wed, 2006-08-16, 11:21:45
Sometimes when you hear a piece of music it immediately reminds you of another song.
As soon as i heard Waiting for the Flood from the Immortal album
it immediately reminded me of Queensryche's Silent Lucidity !!!
Has anyone else noticed the similarity ?

I tested that thought and i must say, no i don't hear any similarities. Both songs are quite different. The only thing they have in common is that they, and please don't shoot me for this explanation, are both ballads. Or quiet songs. Make your pick.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2006-08-24, 22:30:33
I tested that thought and i must say, no i don't hear any similarities. Both songs are quite different. The only thing they have in common is that they, and please don't shoot me for this explanation, are both ballads. Or quiet songs. Make your pick.  ;)

Maybe it's just the intro, which is a plucked acoustic guitar in both songs.

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2006-08-24, 22:37:18
Maybe it's just the intro, which is a plucked acoustic guitar in both songs.

Well, maybe you're right that the intro can be defined as a similarity but other than that i don't hear any hear anything else that matches.  :-\

JJ II

There indeed is a passage that sounds very similar. It has to do with the acoustic guitar...

AndersV

"Waiting for the Flood" somehow reminds me of playing poker  :)

And yes, the similarities to "Silent Lucidity" are obvious, IMO, maybe a bit too obvious at certain points. Then again, the similarities between "Silent Lucidity" and Pink Floyds "Comfortably Numb" are almost criminal...

maddox

The more i listen to both songs i must admit that the intros of both songs are quite similar indeed.

Maybe the guys needed help to be inspired.  :D

Or it's just plain coincidence.

PH

Quote from: AndersV on Sat, 2006-09-02, 14:07:50"Waiting for the Flood" somehow reminds me of playing poker  :)

Ahhh tell us about it. ;D
Does it have to do with "It really doesn't matter now, the end will be the same"?

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2006-09-02, 22:51:21
Does it have to do with "It really doesn't matter now, the end will be the same"?

If that's the case than i hope it's not strip-poker.  :D

Although that can work both ways.  *horns*

AndersV

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2006-09-02, 22:51:21

Well, first of all, some years ago I actually thought "the flop" (the first three cards, that's turned around for all to se on the table in eg. texas hold 'em or Omaha) was called "the flood"  :-\ And if you combine that with the above mentioned line and also eg. "the betting man has played his hand/he's waiting for the flood".

Also "there's nothing you can do to stop the river [the river is when all the cards are on the table] flowing blood" or even more far out "There it in black and white for you to shout out loud/but all those empty promises just sow more seeds of doubt", which could be about bluffing.

I know... It's not exactly the smartest interpretation of the lyrics  ;)

PH

Well... maybe it's not really that stupid either...
You HAVE an interpretation of that song, I don't even have one.
We should ask Clive about it. ;D

johninblack

Quote from: AndersV on Mon, 2006-09-04, 16:36:32
Well, first of all, some years ago I actually thought "the flop" (the first three cards, that's turned around for all to se on the table in eg. texas hold 'em or Omaha) was called "the flood"  :-\ And if you combine that with the above mentioned line and also eg. "the betting man has played his hand/he's waiting for the flood".

Also "there's nothing you can do to stop the river [the river is when all the cards are on the table] flowing blood" or even more far out "There it in black and white for you to shout out loud/but all those empty promises just sow more seeds of doubt", which could be about bluffing.

I know... It's not exactly the smartest interpretation of the lyrics  ;)

But thats the beauty of Clives lyrics, there what he actually means and very often 1, 2 or more ambiguious meanings. the only way to get the true meaning would be to ask Clive

intruder

Yes indeed in their is a chord change in the middle section of the song, on the acoustic guitar which indeed is just like Silent Lucidity. But I must say waiting for the flood is a masterpiece of a track and the album immortal is my favorite album.

Bupie

Quote from: intruder on Sat, 2006-11-25, 12:00:11
Yes indeed in their is a chord change in the middle section of the song, on the acoustic guitar which indeed is just like Silent Lucidity. But I must say waiting for the flood is a masterpiece of a track and the album immortal is my favorite album.

Sorry for the question if it sounds silly (I am not a musician as you could guess) but is this guitar or keyboards that we hear on the intro of the song ? I was sure it was acoustic guitar but on the Smoke and Mirrors DVD, if I don't mistake, Clive is playing it on his keyboards. So ? Guitar on the studio version and guitar-sound-programmed keyboards on the live one ???

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2006-11-27, 09:54:48
Sorry for the question if it sounds silly (I am not a musician as you could guess) but is this guitar or keyboards that we hear on the intro of the song ? I was sure it was acoustic guitar but on the Smoke and Mirrors DVD, if I don't mistake, Clive is playing it on his keyboards. So ? Guitar on the studio version and guitar-sound-programmed keyboards on the live one ???
I guess so ;)
I was stunned when I saw Clive playing it on keyboards. ;D
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

intruder

Well all I can say i'm looking forward to the live version on the Smoke and Mirrors DVD. I have only just sent for it, because I did not know that the DVD existed until I visited this site last week, as the DVD is not sold in the shops. So I cannot really comment on the live version as I have yet to hear it. I should not have that long to wait though, as it as been dispatched today. But my original comment was about the studio version from the album Immortal. And the chord change I was refering to comes 3 mins and 18 seconds into the track, and nothing to do with the beginning of the song at all. The beginning of the song bears no resemblance at all to Silent Lucidity.