News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Best albums of the year (2012 version)

Started by PH, Tue, 2012-12-11, 15:29:12

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Yes. 2012 is almost over. Only a few weeks left now.
Since most of the anticipated albums are released already (more following in 2013) I figured it's time for this topic.

What are your favourite 2012 releases?

My number one is pretty solid, but I'm still thinking about the rest.

Teunis

It was a year with many great releases. Okay, I'll start. For now, it's about this:

1. DeeExpus - King Of Number 33 (difficult, but this is the one I play most, that should be a sign ;))
2. Anathema - Weather Systems (had to edit my list, forgot this album which is really brilliant! 8))
3. Neal Morse - Momentum (many disappointed fans from what I've read, really like it though)
4. Gazpacho - March of Ghosts (this sympathetic Norwegian band still at high level)
5. Muse - The 2nd Law (they don't repeat themselves and went electronic, dig it 8))
6. Alan Reed - First In A Field Of One (very versatile album, he can do it without Pallas. Now on Progstreaming ;))
7. Silhouette - Across The Rubicon (Dutch prog band, really love the keyboard sounds)
8. Overhead - Of Sun And Moon
9. Sylvan - Sceneries
10. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
11. Steve Thorne -   Crimes & Reasons
12. Asia - XXX (better than the two earlier reunion releases, but not enough to enter my top-10)
13. Threshold - March Of Progress
14. Panic Room - Skin
15. Arjen Lucassen - Lost In The New Real (disappointed, expected more. Too predictable)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

At the moment, I only have 7 fave 2012 albums:

1  Rush:  Clockwork Angels
2  Jeff Loomis:  Plains of Oblivion
3  Animals as Leaders:  Weightless
4  Periphery:  II This Time It's Personal
5  Ihsahn:  Eremita
6  Monuments:  Gnosis
7  Stealing Axion:  Moments

Caveat: The order could easily change, particularly as I expect to get Threshold's March of Progress and Anathema's Weather Systems in there (both groups are pantheon with me), maybe also Alan Reed's album - Teunis, thanx for reminding me  :)

Looks like my taste has diverged quite a bit from mainstream Room; of my seven fave 2012 albums, you guys probably only know Rush's, and probably only few of you are familiar with it  :-\

Edit 12-12-26: Yeah, definitely Storm Corrosion - thanx for reminding, Paxi  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

As I already said, favourites change with each listen. Neal Morse and Anathema are solid number one and two. But third, fourth, fifth and sixth place are shifting each time. Same for the rest to be honest. 2012 was a really good year for prog.

1. Neal Morse - "Momentum"
As soon as I heard the album I knew this was gonna be the number one for me. Somewhere on this site I compared it to TransAtlantic and Neal's album "Sola Scriptura". This album is truly one of Neal's better albums. The song World Without End is absolutely wonderful!

2. Anathema - "Weather Systems"
This band really blew me away, when I first heard a few songs by them a year ago. "Weather Systems" is an album full of emotion. 55 minutes feels like only 15, so I often play this album when I don't have much time. ;) Seriously though, when it's finished I'm inclined to play the whole thing again.

3. Threshold - "March Of Progress"
Between (the excellent) "Dead Reckoning" and this album, there are five years of silence. But a lot happened. Mac sadly passed away, a new guitar player was added and the comeback of Damian. The new guitarist certainly brings something new to Threshold. Same for Mr. Wilson of course. His voice is exceptional. This album takes longer to get into, but is more progressive than "Dead Reckoning".

4. Storm Corrosion - "Storm Corrosion"
You really have to be in the mood for this kind of music. It can be very strange at times. I like this very much.

5. OSI - Fire Make Thunder
Although most of the songs are interchangeable with their previous album and (to lesser extend) the one before that, it's constantly of high quality. Their music doesn't evolve much from album to album, but still, the style is something unique.

6. Gazpacho - March Of Ghosts
Another moody album. Which means I can't always listen to this one, although it's a good one for sure. This album made me buy the back catalogue. It's funny to see how they've developed from a Radiohead kind of band, to a Gazpacho kind of band.

7. Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisted II
A double album, full of the best songs by one of the best bands. If these weren't covers, it would probably be the number one.

8. Arjen Lucassen - Lost In The New Real
Really nice. Arjen gives his all. Really nice artwork on the cover and booklet.

9. It Bites - Map Of The Past
Some pretty solid songs. It's a shame John Mitchell still isn't world famous.

10. Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
It's catchy and heavy. But some songs are forgettable.

11. The Flower Kings - Banks Of Eden
Some very nice melodies drowned in mostly tiresome music... Still, it's better than I thought it would be.

12. Kaipa - Vittjar
This album is much like the previous. I think I wouldn't notice the differences that much. To be honest, i haven't listened to this album that much. I'm sure this will end up a lot higher, but I need to give it more than two listens.

13. Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made
Haven't listened to this one that much either. I hope it's better than my initial impression, because that wasn't too good...

I have also listened to Flying Colors, Squackett and DeeExpus which sounded all really good, as soon as I have got my hands on them, they'll probably end up among favourites.
Also 2012 was the year in which I began to really like Yes' albums "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge".

Things I'm looking forward to in 2013:
Steven Wilson's new album. A new Spock's Beard (thought it would be released this year). Hopefully A.C.T will finally release their fifth album. Frost*'s third (hopefully better than "EIMA", because that one didn't age too well for me.) Also a new chapter of Ayreon and Haken!

Bupie

Thanks for this detailed contribution, PH !

So far, my favorite albums of 2012 are clearly Threshold's March Of Progress and Circus Maximus' Nine. Big Big Train's English Electric Part One is a bit of a letdown so far. So is It Bites' Map Of The Past. Those two have not enough "edge" to keep me involved all way through. I have mixed feelings about DeeExpus' The King Of Number 33 though I liked it a lot at first listen ... but it's a 2011 release anyway  :)

In my list of "not listened to yet but I would like to" are, amongst others, Anglagard, Echolyn, Mystery, IOEarth, IZZ and Citizen Kain. I think it could also be the right time to try a Neal Morse solo album or a Devin Townsend output. But I lack so much time for new music :P

On the other hand, I don't feel any urge to listen to the new Anathema, Marillion, Kamelot or Arjen Lucassen.

For 2013, my biggest expectation is for a Seventh Wonder new album but it seems too soon in the process ...

Teunis

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2012-12-26, 15:25:31
I have mixed feelings about DeeExpus' The King Of Number 33 though I liked it a lot at first listen ... but it's a 2011 release anyway  :)
There's discussion going on (e.g. Facebook), but even DPRP and Progwereld mention 2012 as year of release.

I've heard the new Antimatter album 'Fear Of A Unique Identity', which is also great and has to enter my top-10 eventually. Albums I'm looking forward to in 2013:
Ayreon, Riverside and hopefully finally the new Asia Feat. John Payne album 'Americana'. The new single is very promising. And the new Clive Nolan rock opera/musical 'Alchemy'.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2012-12-26, 15:25:31
... have not enough "edge" to keep me involved all way through.

Bupie, if you want edge, then you could check up the groups on my pantheon list. Edge is what I go for. Most of the Room stuff puts me to sleep nowadays  :-[

I don't any longer go wrong with my cd purchases, cuz I'm a lot more upfront than I used to be  :)

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2012-12-26, 19:06:08
the new Clive Nolan rock opera/musical 'Alchemy'.

That one I'm also looking forward to  8)

I'm actually a big fan of Seventh Degree. I regard it as a milestone in rock  *horns*

Just checked up Arena on Wiki. It's sad that they characterize Arena as "a British neo-progressive rock musical group". That sounds sooo old-fashioned, and it's not really true either; Arena are a lot more progressive than that, they'r in several ways groundbreaking.

I'm afraid that Wiki's classification keeps a lotta people from goin further  :(

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me