News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Twilight of the Bands

Started by Clive, Fri, 2007-08-03, 10:17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart

It seems sad that in order to make any sort of 'living' out of prog, or any other non-mainstream genre, you have to play in as many bands as you can. As others have said, you need product to sell, whether it be a new CD, gigs or a other merchandise and having multiple outlets for that via various 'bands' and side projects is the way many choose to go.

There simply isn't the market today to support the number of bands that exist and anything new that comes along generally feeds off of the existing fan base, rarely bringing any new fans into the genre. The downloading issue isn't going to go away, it is just that when business is marginal, it is of course all the more obvious. I also wonder if the existing market is shrinking. Just ask Martin Hudson of the CRS how tough it is promoting these days.

It is even sadder when you consider that so many truly great bands struggle today to keep going, when they are creating new and relevant material, and you can have a band like Genesis who have done nothing for years, troop out on their past merits to play sell-out stadiums. I doubt that even a small %age of the folks attending their gigs even know there are bands here today still creating and performing prog.

So for me the only way out of this is to increase the size of the buying marker by connecting with that larger prog audience somehow. Not easy to do, but maybe forming some form of alliance between a number of Euro prog bands to get a sampler CD out or a common website with samples from various bands and targeting that at the 10s of thousands that paid a fortune to see Genesis, or Yes, or Rush etc etc.

maddox

Quote from: bellanova on Fri, 2007-08-10, 18:15:10
I cant see it getting any better either. i just have no idea what we can do about it.

The only thing i can think of is to let people see that there are more than what they hear on the radio.

For instance, i don't mind if someone loves R n B with the same passion as i love Prog as long he's/she's aware that there is a choice. Music doesn't begin with top 40/50/whatever songs and music doesn't end with prog either. There's a lot to explore in between.

Music is personal, you see.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

johninblack

Another problem is the complexity issue. People automatically associate 'complex' with 'difficult to listen to'. I once played someone some Kino, he asked about them and when I told him they were ,I think I put it as 'very Prog influenced' he said 'No, Can't be, I can listen to that'. What the hell can you do with people with that kind of belief?

Stuart

I think the 'prog' tag is often the issue here John. Some bands today wield the prog tag with pride, but it often does nothing but harm. Many of the bands today are just darned good rock bands. Maybe it is time to move away from this outdated genre tag.

P.S. John I think you need to make another post, that number just looks wrong, better to get to 667 quickly  ;)

johninblack

Quote from: Stuart on Fri, 2007-08-10, 19:34:31
P.S. John I think you need to make another post, that number just looks wrong, better to get to 667 quickly  ;)

Didn't even notice! Post 666 needs to be honoured properly.......Sing along everyone.....

Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea
for the Devil sends the beast with wrath
because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding
reckon the number of the beast
for it is a human number
its number is six hundred and sixty six.

I left alone my mind was blank
I needed time to think to get the memories from my mind

What did I see can I believe that what I saw
that night was real and not just fantasy

Just what I saw in my old dreams were they
reflections of my warped mind staring back at me

Cos in my dreams it's always there the evil face that twists my mind
and brings me to despair

The night was black was no use holding back
Cos I just had to see was someone watching me
In the mist dark figures move and twist
was all this for real or just some kind of hell
666 the Number of the Beast
Hell and fire was spawned to be released

Torches blazed and sacred chants were praised
as they start to cry hands held to the sky
In the night the fires are burning bright
the ritual has begun Satan's work is done
Sacrifice is going on tonight

This can't go on I must inform the law
Can this still be real or just some crazy dream
but I feel drawn towards the chanting hordes
seems to mesmerize...can't avoid their eyes
666 the one for you and me

I'm coming back I will return
And I'll possess your body and I'll make you burn
I have the fire I have the force
I have the power to make my evil take its course

maddox

;D

I just did  *horns*. Fortunately the neighbours are on holidays.  :P  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-08-09, 13:47:03
OK, guys, it's high time, who's got some creative ideas?

Don't know if the idea is really new, but reading this

Quote from: Stuart on Fri, 2007-08-10, 18:46:39
It is even sadder when you consider that so many truly great bands struggle today to keep going, when they are creating new and relevant material, and you can have a band like Genesis who have done nothing for years, troop out on their past merits to play sell-out stadiums. I doubt that even a small %age of the folks attending their gigs even know there are bands here today still creating and performing prog.

So for me the only way out of this is to increase the size of the buying marker by connecting with that larger prog audience somehow. Not easy to do, but maybe forming some form of alliance between a number of Euro prog bands to get a sampler CD out or a common website with samples from various bands and targeting that at the 10s of thousands that paid a fortune to see Genesis, or Yes, or Rush etc etc.

I couldn't help thinking that maybe a tour with one of those bands - as Arena did with SAGA a few years ago - could help increase their popularity. Of course I don't know what the conditions are to be the support act of one of those bands (it wouldn't make much sense if they had to pay them to be on the tour)... but at least the audiences should be big!

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2007-08-10, 21:49:59
I just did  *horns*. Fortunately the neighbours are on holidays.  :P  ;)

The Name of the Beast is:  Maddox  (say the neighbors, and Missus, and Nicky (when teased))  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Quote from: Stuart on Fri, 2007-08-10, 18:46:39
It seems sad that in order to make any sort of 'living' out of prog, or any other non-mainstream genre, you have to play in as many bands as you can. As others have said, you need product to sell, whether it be a new CD, gigs or a other merchandise and having multiple outlets for that via various 'bands' and side projects is the way many choose to go.

I think the 'prog' tag is often the issue here John. Some bands today wield the prog tag with pride, but it often does nothing but harm. Many of the bands today are just darned good rock bands. Maybe it is time to move away from this outdated genre tag.

I found your last two posts very discerning, Stuart. Hope to see some more posts from you. Guys, looks like we got some intelligence up there in kiltland too  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Just made me think: Dream Theater are as prog as it gets, and they're big, which is interesting here. So maybe we should try to figure out how they made it, and do the same for Arena? Certainly Arena deserve as much attention.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-08-13, 11:29:52
... Certainly Arena deserve as much attention.

I think they deserve even more attention - much more!!

Mmm... that probably means they need some Asian guy in the band... (see Dream Theater or Spock's Beard)  ;)

Nicky007

... or maybe a woman, a strong one! What are you up to the next few years, Bluey?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Well, I'd LOVE to be in a band, even better if it was Arena, but I'm not sure my poor musical skills would qualify me for that. Or like I said: I CAN sing, but I'm not sure anybody wants to hear it!  ;)

Of course I could always go back to my old "job" in Arena, selling CDs and T-shirts... no, wait, that wasn't really my job!  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-08-13, 12:13:53
Of course I could always go back to my old "job" in Arena, selling CDs and T-shirts... no, wait, that wasn't really my job!  ;D

You could wear the T-shirts (hey, any censorship around here?)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

I AM wearing them!! Remember the black girlie Tee with the silver logo they had during the "Contagion" tour? I was the one who bought one!  ;D

Er - censorship??

Nicky007

OK, so it's probably a see-through by now.

How come you weren't at the Baltic Prog Fest last fortnight swinging around with your T on?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Good question... mostly because Lithuania is not just 'round the corner, if you know what I mean... moreover I'd be anything but relaxed if I had to take my (quite new) car there... yes, I know, that would rather be Poland, but still... next time just give me a lift and I'll be there!  ;D

I promise I'll be at one of the next Arena gigs in Germany - remind me to wear the t-shirt!

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-08-13, 12:27:24
... moreover I'd be anything but relaxed if I had to take my (quite new) car there... 

We want you everything but relaxed, Bluey, for you to get us A-fans.

> ... next time just give me a lift and I'll be there!  ;D

Cap's the lift guy. So once again, I guess I got the jobs distributed.

Hey, Bluey, you're competing with DT here. Who's gonno win?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-08-13, 12:33:39
We want you everything but relaxed, for you to get us A-fans.
Well, I'm working on that... in September I'll be in Berlin and will also be seeing my longtime pen pal who - can you belive it! - isn't an Arena fan yet... I'll do my best to change that soon! I'll make him listen to all their CDs AND watch the live DVD and although he's more into the hard stuff (i. e. Heavy Metal) I bet he will like it! (Would be better for him.  ;))

Cap's the lift guy.
I know, and he doesn't live too far from my place, too!  ;D ;D ;D

Hey, Bluey, you're competing with DT here. Who's gonno win?
What, I am competing with them?!

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-08-13, 12:40:09
... and will also be seeing my longtime pen pal who - can you believe it! - isn't an Arena fan yet...

Hey, Bluey, take Tom instead! He's a bigtime Arena-fan, and you can keep him in your pen.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-08-13, 12:54:16
Hey, Bluey, take Tom instead! He's a bigtime Arena-fan, and you can keep him in your pen.

May have to anyway - my pen pal already has got a girlfriend.  ;)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-08-13, 12:56:40
May have to anyway - my pen pal already has got a girlfriend.  ;)

Okay, where can I sign up?;)
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

bluepony

Clive

well we do seem to have strayed off topic a little....

Arena doesn't plan on entering that Twilight Zone quite yet... if we can write this next album, I reckon we have a little more time left.  :)

Hopefully we will play a few more gigs next year to keep things ticking along until the next release...

bluepony

Quote from: Clive on Tue, 2007-08-14, 12:59:58
well we do seem to have strayed off topic a little....
Ooops... sorry!  :-[

Quote from: Clive on Tue, 2007-08-14, 12:59:58
Hopefully we will play a few more gigs next year to keep things ticking along until the next release...
YES!!! More gigs! Please!!

Now that you mention it - I hardly dare to ask - how's the writing for the new album coming along?