News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

I tried 3 different books from Pratchett and.... failed/gave up/threw em away. I always found him to be a "try-super-hard-wannabe-Douglas-Adams-of-fantasy-by-making-up-extremely-strange-
stories-and-hiding-humour-in-between-lines-and-pages-or-even-chapters" -something... just my 2c. Never got warm with him.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: erik on Sun, 2005-09-04, 18:13:43
It's actually the Discworld version of Santa Claus... Death takes his place when the Hogfather has been kidnapped and... read the book! The whole series is highly recommended. And very unsuitable for reading in public places because you're constantly provoked to laugh out loud, which makes the people around you raise their eyebrows, unless they know Terry Prathett and understand  ::)

I was sitting in a bookstore reading and laughing at Mort by TP.  People were looking at me in a strange way. :D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Moonloop

David Gemmell - White Wolf

8)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

erik

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2005-09-04, 19:04:27
I tried 3 different books from Pratchett and.... failed/gave up/threw em away. I always found him to be a "try-super-hard-wannabe-Douglas-Adams-of-fantasy-by-making-up-extremely-strange-
stories-and-hiding-humour-in-between-lines-and-pages-or-even-chapters" -something... just my 2c. Never got warm with him.
There's a lot more to it! Discworld is not just fantasy with a twist, it's a mirror of our own world, where certain things are different but others are very much the same... It elegantly touches on subjects such as religion (Small Gods), journalism/the free press (The Truth), the music business (Soul Music) and so on... See also http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/themes.html
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

keyboardistmatt

That's a good site!

NR: Sound On Sound magazine

Xanxtuary

Now reading Dean Koontz - Strange Highway

Bit of a change of genre for me, but I like to take a break from epic fantasy from time to time.

Still haven't read any Terry Pratchett ... maybe one day I will get around to it!
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

The Pope

The Discworld Almanak - The year of the Prawn by Terry Pratchett and Bernard Pearson excellent work if you are into Brassicas!
I need a biscuit !

Moonloop

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Mon, 2005-09-12, 23:00:30
Now reading Dean Koontz - Strange Highway

Bit of a change of genre for me, but I like to take a break from epic fantasy from time to time.

Still haven't read any Terry Pratchett ... maybe one day I will get around to it!

Used to love Koontz's earlier books but, to me, he's gone off the boil in the last few years  :(

Much preferred him when his books had one word titles and the plot involved the main character undergoing hypno-regression - which was like, every book...  ;)

Appelmoes??

I started in part 3 from Wheel of Time. I liked the second book very much.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

CygnusX1

Just started the Gormenghast trilogy, never read it before.

Xanxtuary

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-09-13, 08:42:05
Used to love Koontz's earlier books but, to me, he's gone off the boil in the last few years  :(

Much preferred him when his books had one word titles and the plot involved the main character undergoing hypno-regression - which was like, every book...  ;)

Well this one seems a bit contrived.  It's OK and like I said, makes a change from my usual fare.  But I wouldn't have gone out to buy it specially ... a relative passed it onto me after she had finished with it.  The best Koontz novel that I read was False Memory, although I recall liking The Bad Place as well.

keyboardistmatt

The latest copy of Sound On Sound magazine ;D

Deenfan

I'm on "The Lake of Death" by Jean Rabe. A DragonLance saga book of course... 8)

Moonloop

David Gemmell - The Swords of Night & Day

;D

Appelmoes??

I just started with the first series of books from Robin Hobb. It took some getting used to, since it is written in the first persons form.

My drawings on MySpace

Lady_Reaper

I'm currently reading "Monstrous Regiment" By Terry Pratchett.
I go through books so quickly you might find I'll turn into a regular in this particular thread!  ;)
Humanity is a nice place to vist, But you wouldn't want to live there.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-09-22, 12:22:50
I just started with the first series of books from Robin Hobb. It took some getting used to, since it is written in the first persons form.
My girlfriend didn't leave part 2 at my place >:( Now I've got nothing to read :'(

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

Robert Westall - 'The Machine Gunners'

Lady_Reaper

I'm now reading The Ghatti's Tale: Book Two. Mind Seekers Call - By Gayle Greeno.

:-[ I did say I might become a regular here.....

Xanxtuary

Just started The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin.  I think I read something by her years ago but nothing since and since I've heard good things about her, I picked this one up the other day.  Four books in one, so it should keep me going for a while!

Appelmoes??

Scrolling through this forum made me just realise: I don't have music on! :o
Let's see what I can do about that...

Bob Dylan - I want you

Edit: Had so much beer, I can't read properly anymore... *copy-paste to 'playing topic*

My drawings on MySpace

erik

Quote from: Lady_Reaper on Fri, 2005-09-23, 22:31:04
I'm currently reading "Monstrous Regiment" By Terry Pratchett.
I go through books so quickly you might find I'll turn into a regular in this particular thread!  ;)
Good choice! Still haven't got/read that one, nor Going Postal and I saw that Thud! is out now too!
Allways good to have some Pratchett in store, as I just can't seem to get enough of it  ::)
Now reading A Hat Full Of Sky
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Moonloop

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-09-22, 12:22:50

Hope you enjoy them, I think the 3 trilogies are some of the best Fantasy books I've read in a long time  8)

Lady_Reaper

Quote from: erik on Tue, 2005-09-27, 13:06:14
Good choice! Still haven't got/read that one, nor Going Postal and I saw that Thud! is out now too!
Allways good to have some Pratchett in store, as I just can't seem to get enough of it  ::)
Now reading A Hat Full Of Sky

It's a really good book, the ending was very touching (Although I'm just a closet softy). I'm the same when it comes to Pratchett, I go through them so quickly that the libarary's running out of books I've not yet read....... That's a good thing, right? :-\

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace