News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Clive's New Recording Studio

Started by Xanxtuary, Mon, 2005-07-18, 20:41:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Where should Clive's new recording studio be located?

Bathroom (waterproof)
4 (33.3%)
Deep end of swimming pool (waterproof)
0 (0%)
Dog Kennel
1 (8.3%)
Garden Shed
0 (0%)
On the roof
0 (0%)
Underground
2 (16.7%)
In a tree house
4 (33.3%)
In a custom built helicopter
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Xanxtuary

Sir Clive Nolan of Nolanshire is rumoured to be consulting leading Architects about the design and construction of a new recording studio.  He has asked us to suggest the best locations for such a progressive project. 

Any others not listed above, please suggest them.  Then Clive and his design team can do their research and pick the best location.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Constable Hogweed

Gotta be a dog kennel, complete with an Amstrad stereo system with microphone mixing and bass boost. Oh and he would of course have a rather large dog in there with him, lovingly licking his face while he freaks out on the Rolf Harris stylophone.  ;D

Cunning poll my beloved.

gelert

Lorks A'Mussy...

Wot 'ave I started...?

I'll go for the MIDI-equiped Cattery, with Breakfast Bar, and a 24/7-hellicopter-shuttle to the manufacturers of a Polish-Vodka thing called 'Krupnik'...all wallpapered with Kate Bush-iconised tiling...
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

marcello

Thank goodness, bathroom it is, now, Clive can have have the choice of black and white keyboard style bartops, or merge the bartops with the keyboards, for a kind of "sunk in" effect.
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

Xanxtuary

Yep, adding to the sunken effect a corner bath/jacuzzi with a built in waterproof mixing console.

When the whole project is complete, a special guest will be invited to cut the black and white keyboard patterned ribbon with a large pair of fluorescent pink scissors.  Martin Orford has been asked to do the honours, wearing his 1980s special edition piano keyboard tie (as featured on the Wake album photographs of the band)

8)

Herben

I thought Underground is nicely isolated with ground around it so there won't be strange noises on the new records, and it's safe when a bomb is falling.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Peter

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2005-07-18, 22:25:05
I thought Underground is nicely isolated with ground around it so there won't be strange noises on the new records, and it's safe when a bomb is falling.

tsktsk, do you think we want to hear grass-growing and worm-crawling on the next album....this is not Pink Floyd :P
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

gelert

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-07-19, 09:47:27
tsktsk, do you think we want to hear grass-growing and worm-crawling on the next album....this is not Pink Floyd :P

If you play the album at the correct speed, then Alan is not growing grass...
...it is in fact the sound of eggs being fried...

And that worm-sound is a wasp...

;)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Herben

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-07-19, 09:47:27
I never heard the grass growing, the cutting of the grass makes more noise. I once heard from someone who had a record with only the noise of a grassmower, the "song" lasted about 15 minutes.

gelert

Quote from: Herben on Tue, 2005-07-19, 20:15:41
I never heard the grass growing, the cutting of the grass makes more noise. I once heard from someone who had a record with only the noise of a grassmower, the "song" lasted about 15 minutes.

Aaaaah....true progressive rock....

Happy days, when you could make-up your own tune and lyrics to the sound of grass being cut, and still arrive at a credible double-vinyl concept album title....

MMmmm...pass the chillum, Peter.

marcello

Whats the difference between a concept album and a conceptual album?
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

Xanxtuary

Quote from: marcello on Tue, 2005-07-19, 21:30:19
Whats the difference between a concept album and a conceptual album?

Erm ... don't quote me on this but I think a concept means that all the tracks in their correct order tell the "story" of the concept, whereas a conceptual album deals with themes/ideas but the songs don't necessarily relate a story/series of events.

How was that?  Anywhere near reality?  Or mayhap someone else can tell it like it is.

Deenfan

In a tree... Call it Solace Studios. ;)

keyboardistmatt

Just out of sheer curiosity... What's the matter with Thin Ice Studios?? ???
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Xanxtuary

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-07-20, 00:44:37

Oh, nothing!  But these prog musicians, sometimes they go all experimental and decide to record somewhere else to get a certain feel on a particular track or album.

Clive's obviously in his bathroom/treehouse/kennel mode at the moment!  :)

gelert

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Wed, 2005-07-20, 19:26:26
Oh, nothing!  But these prog musicians, sometimes they go all experimental and decide to record somewhere else to get a certain feel on a particular track or album.

Clive's obviously in his bathroom/treehouse/kennel mode at the moment!  :)

Ah yes...I know that feeling...

I'm out-of-my-tree, go to the bathroom, and get sent to the doghouse...  :D

Meanwhile, I suspect that he's writing the lyrics...to a brand-new tune...

Er, sorry...Instant-Genesis...just add lager...

No, he's conceptualising a new concept album, that explores the difference between a concept, and a conceptual, er, concept.

Alternatively, if he's now got the same kind of headache that has rapidly overtaken me, he's been sensible and gone off down the pub...

Herben

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-07-20, 00:44:37
Have You been there at the Thin ice recording studio? I only know that people make nice music there but I don't know how they look, maybe they are underground as well! Do you have a picture of the Thin ice studio?

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Herben on Wed, 2005-07-20, 20:57:17
Have You been there at the Thin ice recording studio? I only know that people make nice music there but I don't know how they look, maybe they are underground as well! Do you have a picture of the Thin ice studio?

http://www.thinicestudios.com/ ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Herben

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-07-20, 23:54:40
http://www.thinicestudios.com/ ;)
Interesting site, but I didn't see any building, only what's inside. There is a nice overview of all the bands that played there, such as Threshold, Shadowland, Pendragon, Medicine man, Strangers on a train, and of course Arena and so on with all their records, interesting site I would recommend this to all Arena fans.

Xanxtuary

Well the reason why there's no photographic evidence of what Thin Ice Studios look like from the outside is because ...

the studios are actually literally beneath some very thin ice.  There's a kind of pond thingie, perpetually covered in a coating of thinnest Verglas ice, and neath the ice lies the waterproof recording studio beloved of Arena, Pendragon, etc ...

In order to access the studio, one has to be either a band member, production type person or to have been specially invited (and thus given the password which allows ingress through the Crack in the Ice ...)

Peter

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-07-24, 15:03:22
Well the reason why there's no photographic evidence of what Thin Ice Studios look like from the outside is because ...

the studios are actually literally beneath some very thin ice.  There's a kind of pond thingie, perpetually covered in a coating of thinnest Verglas ice, and neath the ice lies the waterproof recording studio beloved of Arena, Pendragon, etc ...
In order to access the studio, one has to be either a band member, production type person or to have been specially invited (and thus given the password which allows ingress through the Crack in the Ice ...)

Ah, now that you say it, I think I must have went past it two or three times on my way to meeting Treebeard some time ago.

Xanxtuary

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2005-07-24, 16:23:34
Ah, now that you say it, I think I must have went past it two or three times on my way to meeting Treebeard some time ago.

No doubt on the way to one of those oak music festivals!

Peter

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-07-24, 18:54:19

hummm harummm :)

Herben

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-07-24, 18:54:19
Treebeard was no oak but an Ent, some living tree in the film Lord of the rings, the Ents went to destroy the works made by Saruman some great wizard, who went crazy.

Peter

Quote from: Herben on Thu, 2005-07-28, 19:37:28
Treebeard was no oak but an Ent, some living tree in the film Lord of the rings, the Ents went to destroy the works made by Saruman some great wizard, who went crazy.

wiseass! nevertheless he could have had many oaks as friends.