News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Drinking/Eating Thread

Started by PH, Sat, 2005-10-08, 19:49:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-04-01, 01:28:08
That's an interesting conclusion, Greenie: Jonesy, Iggy and I are crazy about Marmite. The only one who expressed discontent was Paxi, and that's cause he thought it was shampoo, and he wondered why his girlfriend turned her nose the other way  ;D

I distinctly recall a link to Vegemite.  Even some Aussies are afraid of Vegemite.  If we ever meet up, I might be willing to try it out, but only if there is plenty of Guinness on hand in case I need reviving.    ;D
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Iggy

It's bagel time maybe with marmite.

Steve Jones

Alas, we're out of Marmite here :'( :'( :'(
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

PH

Just had cornflakes.
Without Marmite of course...

PH

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2009-04-01, 05:34:31
I distinctly recall a link to Vegemite.  Even some Aussies are afraid of Vegemite.

Ya can't compare Marmite and Vegemite. That's like comparin Devin and Céline  :P

.. only if there is plenty of Guinness on hand ...

*horns* whatever the reason.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-04-01, 23:15:21
Ya can't compare Marmite and Vegemite. That's like comparin Devin and Céline  :P

Arrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!!!  Don't even joke about such things.  I might have an aneurysm.    :o :o :o :o

Steve Jones

Cup of tea and a muffin.  Not from the Utility Muffin Company.
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Last drops of sisi and then...

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-04-01, 23:15:21

Well... they both live in Canada.
They might be the same person.

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2009-04-01, 23:59:40
Well... they both live in Canada.
They might be the same person.

Technically yes, but there's a major difference:

Devin is from Canada -- Canadians tend to be like Americans with better manners.
Celine is from Quebec - Quebecois tend to be like Frenchmen who are angry that they have to live near people who are like Americans.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-04-02, 11:10:19
Devin is from Canada -- Canadians tend to be like Americans with better manners.
Celine is from Quebec - Quebecois tend to be like Frenchmen who are angry that they have to live near people who are like Americans.

I think I'm following this.  So which one is Marmite and which one is Vegemite? ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-04-02, 11:13:47
I think I'm following this.  So which one is Marmite and which one is Vegemite? ;)

The thing that immediately brought to mind, I can't say, because there are a few ladies who frequent this forum now and then, and it's rude.  Brewery leavings notwithstanding, I've generally found the "English" Canadians more cordial, although there was a drop-dead gorgeous girl from Quebec in grad school, and women who do math are rare enough, let alone beautiful ones.

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-04-02, 11:21:59
Well that's certainly on-topic ;)

If I think about her too much, I'll surely need to drink a few cordials.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-04-02, 11:23:22
If I think about her too much, I'll surely need to drink a few cordials.

Don't mind us.  Pour yourself a stiff one.
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Now eating: Corn Chowder - Yum!

Does chowder exist where you folks live, or is it strictly something the Bostonians came up with after they'd wasted all of Steve's tea?

maddox

@Manatee: Well it's some sort of soup so i guess the answer would be yes.
We've got a variety of soups over here. Mushroom, tomato, chicken, brown beans soup. Even some mustard soup.
Make your pick.  ;D

Now eating: Left overs.
I'm not very hungry lately but during the evening my stomach begins to wake up.  :-\

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-04-02, 22:21:36
Does chowder exist where you folks live, or is it strictly something the Bostonians came up with after they'd wasted all of Steve's tea?

Well it's not especially native to England, although you can get most things anywhere these days.  Last time I had any was in LA, a gorgeous clam chowder - I can almost taste it now :P

Not quite the same, but in Northern Parts where my other half originates, they have something called Cullen Skink - a fish based soup that is very nice indeed.  Shame about the name ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-04-02, 22:30:44
Well it's not especially native to England, although you can get most things anywhere these days.  Last time I had any was in LA, a gorgeous clam chowder - I can almost taste it now :P

You were in LA?  I hope you kept an eye on your biscuits.  People are strange there.   :o

Not quite the same, but in Northern Parts where my other half originates, they have something called Cullen Skink - a fish based soup that is very nice indeed.  Shame about the name ;)

That is indeed a name and a half.  It still doesn't quite strike the same fear into my heart that 'Spotted Dick' does though.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-04-02, 22:36:58
You were in LA?  I hope you kept an eye on your biscuits.  People are strange there.   :o

It was around 15 years ago, we were going to Comdex in Vegas but flew into LA initially before moving on next morning.  Had a great meal (see earlier!) and then wandered into a bar for further refreshment.  Something R.E.M. was being played as we settled down, and it turned out to be the whole album rather than just one track.  I fell in love with America at that very moment ;D

Curiously, I never understood the concept of bog-standard US beer (Bud, Coors) until I went to Vegas.  After a gruelling day in the heat (it was a business trip) a few bottles of Bud were really refreshing.  It's never seemed the same back here, though!

Now drinking: the last of my Murphy's supply.
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-04-02, 22:45:55
Curiously, I never understood the concept of bog-standard US beer (Bud, Coors) until I went to Vegas.  After a gruelling day in the heat (it was a business trip) a few bottles of Bud were really refreshing.  It's never seemed the same back here, though!

Bud can only be tolerated in situations like that, where you're so hot and thirsty that anything cold tastes like fresh water.  (Bud is, of course, polluted water.)   One of my friends showed me a mock study someone had done on canned American beers.  They'd worked out a measurement in time of how long the can can be open in warm weather before the taste becomes offensive.  They called this the "suckpoint."  Bud has a negative suckpoint.   ;D

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-04-02, 23:44:49
Bud can only be tolerated in situations like that, where you're so hot and thirsty that anything cold tastes like fresh water.  (Bud is, of course, polluted water.)   One of my friends showed me a mock study someone had done on canned American beers.  They'd worked out a measurement in time of how long the can can be open in warm weather before the taste becomes offensive.  They called this the "suckpoint."  Bud has a negative suckpoint.   ;D

i did better I had Clam Chowder in New England.

Conversely When I went to LA I thought if this is America they can keep it.

But having visited San Fran and Boston/Maine I like America

*edit that didn't come out quite right  :P