News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

How do you feel right now?

Started by Appelmoes??, Wed, 2005-10-26, 20:39:46

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

I'm feeling good, I had a great weekend.

On Friday one of my best mates got married. The ceremony was very nice and the party that followed was awesome. Too bad I was the one who had to drive home... :P

On Saturday my alarm went off at 6:30AM: It was time to drive to Germany for Night Of The Prog! And what a day it turned out to be... Here's a short review.

Haken opened the day. They played most of the songs from Aquarius and also a new song that sounded pretty interesting.

Then it was Vanden Plas' turn. They played a few songs from Christ 0, my favourite album by them so I was happy.

RPWL was next. I had seen them before but I was amazed by the stage presence of the guitarist, Kalle Wallner. His playing wasn't too bad either... ;-) Highlight of their set for me was Hole In The Sky. What a song! *horns*

After a quick turnaround IQ took to the stage. Musically they were as good as ever. The weak link was Peter Nicholls, especially at the beginning. After a few songs it got better though and when they played Guiding Light I found myself in another world.

Then...... Dream Theater, my main reason to visit the festival in the first place. When they were preparing the stage for DT and Mike Mangini's drumkit was rolled into position the crowd went nuts and cheered and applauded at the sight of this monster-kit, much to the amusement of the crew. I never witnessed something like that at any gig I ever went to.
Unfortunately there were some technical issues forcing the band to delay the start of the gig (I saw their manager Frank Solomon running around in anger backstage, James LaBrie also seemed pretty pissed) but they made up for it big time. The band sounded very tight already and LaBrie was on fire. Also, Mike Mangini seemed somewhat moved by the reception of the crowd when LaBrie introduced him. It was great to see. John Myung also seemed to be really enjoying himself on stage, battling it out with John Petrucci on several occasions.

Setlist:

Intro: Dream Is Collapsing
1 - Under A Glass Moon
2 - These Walls
3 - Forsaken
4 - Endless Sacrifice
5 - Drum Solo
6 - Ytse Jam
7 - Peruvian Skies
8 - The Great Debate
9 - On The Backs Of Angels
10 - Caught In A Web
11 - Through My Words
12 - Fatal Tragedy
------------------------------------
13 - The Count Of Tuscany

Then it was time for Anathema, but I didn't get to see them. We were exhausted and figured that we had seen them enough the last few years to skip this performance. Besides, we still had a four hour drive ahead of us so the festival ended there, at least for us.

A special mention must go to the location. Night Of The Prog is held in an old amphitheatre on top of a hill overlooking the river Rhine and it's surrounded by forests and old castles. During DT's gig the sun was slowly setting and that gave the whole experience just that little bit extra. It really was amazing and I had a great time.

That's all! ;)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

That's quite a bill, Tom  8)

DT, Haken, Vanden Plas, and Anathema are pantheon with me  *horns*

For some reason IQ don't do it for me. Maybe if I had a chance to experience them live, it would change matters  :-\

RPWL I would have liked to experience  :)

I'm actually most curious about the Haken concert, as they'r a bit of a pet group for me, until they really break thru, as I expect they will. Their Aquarius is formidable imo  *horns*

Could you describe their concert a bit more  ;)

You wrote "we". My guess is that it was you and Madame Butterfly  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Dream Theater
Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2011-07-12, 08:58:42
Hey Teunis, are we beginnin to like this band ?  :)
Nope Nicky, I just named a few bands to state there was a lineup with well-known bands, DT is not my cup of tea :D.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2011-07-12, 14:07:42
I'm actually most curious about the Haken concert, as they'r a bit of a pet group for me, until they really break thru, as I expect they will. Their Aquarius is formidable imo  *horns*

Could you describe their concert a bit more  ;)

Well, for starters, the singer wore bright red trousers... ;D

The music came across really well in a live-setting, it was a flawless performance by all bandmembers. They seemed to get the crowd along pretty easily, although I saw many puzzled looks during the growling-sections. But that's to be expected I guess.

One thing that stood out for me (besides the trousers) was the singer's voice. It was really good. He has such a versatile voice. 8)

The new song sounded interesting. It has all the ingredients we've come to expect based on Aquarius. By the way, the next album is supposed to come out around the end of this year!

So yeah, all in all the day was off to a good start. *horns*

QuoteYou wrote "we". My guess is that it was you and Madame Butterfly  ;D

Correct. :) And my dad was with us as well. He's the one who introduced me to prog many years ago. He thought he was going to like DT since he adores the Score-DVD (which I gave him last Christmas), but that was not the case. In fact, he hated it. Afterwards he said that he didn't hear a single bit of melody. Oh well... :-\  He did like the rest of the bands though, except for Haken (initially). He thought they were trying too hard to be like DT. In some ways I think I can see where he's coming from, but I didn't agree with him. I said: "Wait 'till you hear the real DT later today". When we walked back to the car he said: "Wow, Haken is really good!" :P

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2011-07-13, 16:00:52
Well, for starters, the singer wore bright red trousers... ;D

That's pretty prog  :D

They seemed to get the crowd along pretty easily

Nice. One would think so. They have lotta melody, variation, and imagination  *horns*

I saw many puzzled looks during the growling-sections

All those krauts have been worked over by Cap  :P

And my dad was with us as well.

Looks like several of us got our parents involved  ;)

In some ways I think I can see where he's coming from, but I didn't agree with him.

If you stand outside of melodic heavy metal, they can sound alike, but within MHM I consider that Haken have carved their own very special slot. E.g. they have all that playfulness (more like Bigelf)  8)

the next album is supposed to come out around the end of this year!

Super !

These days I'm enjoying Aquarius immensely  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

I feel tired! :-\

Had to work at IKEA today. Monday will be my third week at the IKEA and it's really great actually!
But today I had a customer who was a bit frustrated because noone could help him get signed up for something.
I did not know how to do it either, and the ones who DO know, where absent. So in the end he got really pissed (and I can imagine that). But there was nothing I could do... He was angry and wanted to speak the manager, etc. etc. Didn't feel to well at that very moment... :-[

Oh well... ::)

Back at home now, so I'm going to have a shower, a beer and some crisps or something.

Smegal

MY PRECIOUS

PH

Just exterminated a bunch of ants. They were hiding behind our refrigerator.
It's a pest really. They're everywhere. We have anti-ant powder for quite some time now, but you just can't stop them.
I'm sure I've got rid of one of the main nests now. So I'm feeling a little bit victorious, and a little bit nauseous too. :P

Anyone who had similar problems?

Teunis

No ants over here PH  ;).

Feeling great, holidays until 29th August  *horns*.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2011-07-28, 19:45:56
No ants over here PH  ;).

Good for you! It's absolutely one of the worst things that can happen! :(

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2011-07-28, 19:45:56
Feeling great, holidays until 29th August  *horns*.

Once again: good for you! ;D Are you going somewhere?

Smegal

burried an old friend today 

so i feel great

not really

Rest in peace Fred Bennet you'll be missed buddy
MY PRECIOUS

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2011-07-28, 23:42:25
Once again: good for you! ;D Are you going somewhere?
Germany once again, bring on the delicious beer  *horns* ;).

PH

Quote from: Smegal on Fri, 2011-07-29, 02:03:16
burried an old friend today 

so i feel great

not really

Rest in peace Fred Bennet you'll be missed buddy

I'm sorry to hear that! :(

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2011-07-29, 10:52:41
Germany once again, bring on the delicious beer  *horns* ;).

Ah I'm also going to Germany! Tomorrow! ;D
Last-minute. I hope it will be alright.
I'm going to Burgwald. Anyone know the place?

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2011-07-30, 00:17:54
No, don't know that. Have been in Hessen too a couple of years ago, but is was more in the north.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2011-07-30, 00:17:54

Have a nice holiday, Paco!!

And no, I haven't heard of Burgwald before but I'm sure it'll be fun!  *horns*

maddox

Weird.  :-\

Yesterday I read that Andrew Mcdermott (ex vocalist of Threshold) had died but that was not confirmed.

Today however, it got confirmed. :(

RIP, Mac.

The Butterfly Man

I'm feeling like a sicko! I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing though... ;D

Tom

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2011-07-30, 08:53:35
No, don't know that. Have been in Hessen too a couple of years ago, but is was more in the north.

Hessen and Burgwald are around the same place. We were in Wiesenfeld, a very very very small village in the town Burgwald, which lies in the district Waldeck-Frankenberg in the province (or county) Hessen. ;)
So, where exactly have you been? :P

PH

Can't sleep... :(

Will try now anyway.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-08-10, 01:59:16
Can't sleep... :(

Will try now anyway.

Yet...you're still awake. ;)

I am too.
But I have a good reason for it.

Had to work 'till midnight and got home at about 00:45.

So I feel sleepy yet awake at this very moment.

How weird is that!

PH

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2011-08-10, 02:25:32
Yet...you're still awake. ;)

Yes, but when you log into The Shattered Room for just five minutes, it lets you show up in the active users list for twenty minutes or something.
When you posted your reply, I was luckily asleep.

I feel great! Just had my girlfriend on the phone. :) Still desperately in love. Both of us. ;)

debsss

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-08-10, 22:43:27

I feel great! Just had my girlfriend on the phone. :) Still desperately in love. Both of us. ;)

Damn I envy you....!
Got sacked with 2 little kids last month......For no serious reason. Wish you all the luck PH!!

maddox

Quote from: debsss on Mon, 2011-08-15, 23:35:13
Damn I envy you....!
Got sacked with 2 little kids last month......For no serious reason...

I already suspected that, after reading your hyves page but man...

How the heck is that possible?  :o

Especially without apparent reason, that must be quite tough for you!

Wish you all the best, Debs.  *horns*
Heads up, the world is to beautiful to keep staring at the ground.  ;)

PH

Quote from: debsss on Mon, 2011-08-15, 23:35:13
Damn I envy you....!
Got sacked with 2 little kids last month......For no serious reason. Wish you all the luck PH!!

When I first read that, I didn't really know what to reply so I didn't say anything. But I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope in a while you'll be doing fine!