News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

NP  Cloudscape  on  MySpace

http://www.myspace.com/cloudscapemetal

Guys, this group is awesome  *horns* ;)

The bass & drums are like being kicked in the head by a supersexy domina  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Just fell over this wonderful music by Pretty Maids, a Danish group that I'm listening to for the first time  :-[ Man, is this embarrassing!

http://www.myspace.com/pmaids

From Wiki, Pretty Maids: "Pretty Maids are a Danish heavy metal band from Horsens, Denmark. Formed in 1981 by Ronnie Atkins and Ken Hammer. Their sound and music can be described as classic guitar-laden heavy rock with a strong emphasis on melodic elements like vocals and keyboards."

This could easily become a Room staple. Even Teunis can join in on it :)

The singing reminds me of Russ Allen's, when he gets mellow - mmmmm  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Kamelot ~ Peotry for the Poisoned  *horns*

;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2010-10-04, 08:31:44
Why does Joe Nevolo play on only Venom and Gold Dust ? (Trusting Wiki, Gary plays drums on all the other tracks.)
I've read it somewhere ..... found it in an interview with Gary himself:
"And once we had a talent like Joe in the band, there was really no reason for me to try to get behind the kit. Because Joe does a great job, and he does exactly what's needed for the band. But this time, he wasn't available to do all the songs. And although I was scrambling for any other option than me doing it, it was Carl and Brendt who kind of talked me into it. Because I was only prepared to play on the song "Pain". I did demo drums for that. I liked the way they turned out, so I thought, wow, I just save myself little bit of time, we won't have to have Joe learn it, we'll just keep what I did for that song. But suddenly that one song turned into five or six, including some of the bonus tracks."

NP: Millenium - Back After Years
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2010-10-04, 08:31:44
NP

You get long stretches of music from Digital Ghosts here  *horns*

Why does Joe Nevolo play on only Venom and Gold Dust ? (Trusting Wiki, Gary plays drums on all the other tracks.)

Iggy, how was the concert ?

Great to see that SG was the headliner at ProgPower Europe in Baarlo. Shows that they at long last are getting the attention they deserve  8)

Mad, you'r not very informative !

Hey, I didnt know that there was a story that runs thru all Tyranny and Room V:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_%28album%29

Nicky.

The concert was great. A good mix of old and new. I was impressed with the lead singer who had a great voice. The sound was a little iffy in places but it was a really small venue (I think the singer accidentally kicked someone at the front LOL). Given that they have played so few concerts they did pretty well. I wouldn't hesitate to see them again. I kind of got the idea that it was Mike Baker who didn't want to play live which if true is a great shame given how good his voice was.

funkster

Glad you enjoyed it Iggy

Now playing Enslaved - Below the lights  *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2010-10-04, 20:21:44
;)

;)

What's yer opinion, Mad ?

Thanx for the quote, Teunis, and for the account, Iggy  :)

Played:

Soundgarden:  Down On The Upside

Audioslave:  Revelations

Hm, of course much better than the junk that they play in the radio nowadays, but it doesnt at all grip me the way that his Euphoria Morning together with Alain Johannes and Natasha Shneider does, or even his more solo Carry On  :-\

So I needed somethin like:

DT:  Octavarium  *horns*

Btw guys, don't tell Tom that I said it, but he's back from Egypt, he's just hiding - Peeping Tom  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Borknagar - Universal

For fans of Enslaved  Opeth and Amorphis

Interested ? You should be

http://www.myspace.com/borknagar

The Butterfly Man

Albums I regularly listened to on my trip to Egypt:

- Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
- Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
- Gazpacho - Missa Atropos
- Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR
- Amaseffer - Slaves For Life
- Cherry Ghost - Beneath This Burning Shoreline
- Explorers Club - Age Of Impact
- I Am Kloot - Sky At Night
- Oceansize - Self-Preserved While The Bodies Float Up

NP: James Labrie - Static Impulse

Nicky, go and get it...NOW! :P

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2010-10-06, 09:40:02
Nicky, go and get it...NOW! :P

I can't, Tom, my bread is on the toaster, and the alarm will go off  :o

I take it that it's quite good  ;)

So, what are

- Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
- Gazpacho - Missa Atropos
- Cherry Ghost - Beneath This Burning Shoreline
- Explorers Club - Age Of Impact
- I Am Kloot - Sky At Night
- Oceansize - Self-Preserved While The Bodies Float Up
- James Labrie - Static Impulse

like ?

NP  At Vance:  Dragonchaser

Great German melodic metal band  *horns*

Dragonchaser associates to Dragonforce, and in fact this album moves between Dragonforce and Judas Priest, also moves close to Blind Guardian. It's a very diverse album. There are two anthemic power metal songs, similar in style to those of Dragonforce - not my thingy. But the stuff they do in the Priest tradition is really great, particularly Crucified. Here, guys, give it a run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHOCLi_leXY

There's also a fine metal cover of the famous 1. Movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony, with the guitars doing the original string stuff, spiced up with discreet but savory drumming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH9sJqHQQ8c

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

JP: Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

NP: King Crimson - Red

Could be time to expand my KC collection.   *horns*
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2010-10-06, 17:39:56
JP: Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

NP: King Crimson - Red

Could be time to expand my KC collection.   *horns*

I don't get KC. I have never really clicked with them.

NP Blind Ego - Mirror
JP Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane.

I am just debating whether to see Avenged Sevenfold who are being supported by Pain of Salvation. All these concerts are taking toll on my wallet.

Nicky007

Played:  SlipKnoT:   Iowa    Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)

After a long pause, I decided to give my two SlipKnoT albums another run.

Iowa didnt really do anything for me. It seems rather monotonous, just grinding on without much variation. I'l of course return  :-\

The Verses were much better, in part, I guess, cuz Rick Rubin took the production. This guy has a magic touch  ;)

SlipKnot has placed itself in the tradition of Machine Head, Korn, and Linkin Park, one could maybe say a nu-grunge version of Linkin, if that can give an impression.

Very American ('hood), and probably not somethin for Caps, Teunises, and Bupsies  :)

But definitely somethin for Tom and Jerry (Funkster), who like to be grrrunged and grrrowled thoroughly  ;)

Paul Gray  RIP  :)

Pearl Jam:  Riot Act

One of my fave PJ's. Has some wonderful mellow moments, like Thumbing My Way and I Am Mine  8)

David Bowie:  Hours

Another wonderful album  8)

This guy really knows how to put together a smashing song while still giving it an edge. A true master !

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2010-10-07, 14:06:47
SlipKnot has placed itself in the tradition of Machine Head, Korn, and Linkin Park, one could maybe say a nu-grunge version of Linkin, if that can give an impression.

Very American ('hood), and probably not somethin for Caps, Teunises, and Bupsies  :)
Yes, you might probably be right about that  ;D

NP Marillion - Brave
I have been struggling with this one for more that 15 years now. It finally clicked at listen n° ... well, a big number  :P but it will never become a favorite, although I can understand the amount of passion and work the band put into it.

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2010-10-05, 16:29:52
;)

What's yer opinion, Mad ?

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, Nicky but it's a whole lot better than Ghost Opera.
Up until now I couldn't do anything with that album but Peotry is soo much better!! *horns*

NP> Demians ~ Mute

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2010-10-07, 14:06:47

You definitely should ad 'mad' into that list, Nicky. ;)

Not my cup of thrash metal. Or whatever kind of metal you want to label them with. :P

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2010-10-07, 21:04:34
Not my cup of thrash metal.

Well, it's not thrash metal iac. Far beyond that  ;)

These guys live hard, e.g.:

Wiki, Paul Grey (the bassist):

"On June 21, 2010, autopsy results were released that stated Gray had died of an accidental overdose of morphine and fentanyl, and had also shown signs of 'significant heart disease.'"

Wiki, Corey Taylor (the main vocalist):

"Taylor, along with his mother and sister, lived in an 'old dilapidated farmhouse,' which on days in late autumn would 'look like Black Sabbath album covers.' By age fifteen, Taylor had developed a drug addiction and had overdosed on cocaine twice."

"Taylor has also had alcohol abuse problems, which his ex-wife, Scarlett, helped him through as well as keeping him from committing suicide. On November 14, 2003, Taylor attempted to jump off a balcony of the eighth floor of the Hyatt on Sunset Boulevard, but Scarlett stopped him. She told him that either he would have to get sober or she would annul their marriage."

Wiki, Craig Jones (keyboardist and sampler):

"He begins most interviews with the zipper covering his mouth opened, and closes the zipper before making any reply to the questions asked. Jones prompted a burst of complaint letters when, another time he broke his silence during an interview, he was quoted as having made the sole statement that, 'If I wasn't in this band, I'd probably be out killing people!'"

I wonder where I would be had I not found prog  ???  Probably not killing other people, but quite possibly killing myself  :(

NP  King Crimson:  The Power To Believe

Iggy, I think one has to approach this sorta music in a different way than e.g. Arena. Arena have so much melody, rhythm and harmony that it doesnt take long before one takes to linking'm. KC otoh are more experimental, they deliberately cut down on the melody, rhythm and harmony in order to try out new avenues. Accordingly they require many more listens. But I think it's possible to get to enjoying'm just as much as Arena - don't you think too, Erik ?  After a few runs, there will be passages here and there which emerge as enjoyable, then on next run a few more passages, and then the album as a whole will become appealing  ;)

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2010-10-06, 09:40:02
NP: James Labrie - Static Impulse

Gotit on my SL now. If you say so, Tom ...  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Just saw somethin interesting on Wiki (The Orb):

"The Orb's forthcoming album Metallic Spheres features David Gilmour of Pink Floyd."

"The Orb are an English electronic music group known for spawning the genre of ambient house. Founded in 1988 by Alex Paterson and KLF member Jimmy Cauty, The Orb began as ambient and dub DJs in London. Its early performances were inspired by ambient and electronic artists of the 1970s and 1980s, most notably Brian Eno and Kraftwerk. Because of its trippy sound, the Orb developed a cult following among clubbers 'coming down' from drug-induced highs. The Orb has maintained its drug-related and science fiction themes despite personnel changes including the departure of Cauty and other Orb members Kris Weston, Andy Falconer, Simon Phillips, and Andy Hughes."

Hm, is this Dave goin back to his Saucerful roots ?

I dislike both ambient and house, but I sure will get Metallic Spheres  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2010-10-08, 13:54:15
NP  King Crimson:  The Power To Believe

Would you rate this as one of their better ones, Nicky?  I was thinking of trying an older one next, perhaps Larks Tongues in Aspic, since I really like Red, which I think is the last of their "old" era.

NP: Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2010-10-08, 17:31:09
Would you rate this as one of their better ones, Nicky?

I don't really know KC well enuff to rate their albums, Greenie  :-\

All I know is that KC are a groundbreaking group, and The Power To Believe is a challenging album  *horns*

Sooo, I guess as a proggie one should strive toward having their entire catalog and be prepared to spend a lotta time on/with'm  8)

NP  Pain of Salvation:  Remedy Lane

What a fascinating album, man *horns*

It draws you in, you wonder, I mean wonder in a pristine sense:  What is this ?  What's going on ?  What's the story ?  - the connection ?  and the music is highly evocative too.

This seems to be a very biographical album for Daniel G, he goes back to formative events in Eskilstuna and Motala. For me, having been drawn into Swedish society, this is of special interest.

And then forward to Budapest, which he says he fell in love with. Tom, what do you know about Daniel G and Budapest ?

This guy has sooooo much to tell the world ... but only very few choose to make an effort to listen. Most default to Lady Gaga, Grand Prix, X-factor, and all that superficiality  :'(

Hey, anyone prepared for involvement in life ?  ;)

Guys, this is a group that is very rewarding. I'm happy to know that they are rated highly by several Roomies  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

Just: Riverside - Out Of Myself

Now: Morow.com track: Opeth: Still Life

As long as I don't hear CMV, Opeth is quite enjoyable  ;)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

funkster

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2010-10-09, 21:36:43
Just: Riverside - Out Of Myself

Now: Morow.com track: Opeth: Still Life

As long as I don't hear CMV, Opeth is quite enjoyable  ;)

2 cracking albums  :D

Anubis - the detached

Bit of prog/power metal as i have overdosed on some darker stuff recently.

Iggy

Pink Floyd - A momentary lapse of reason.

A much underrated album imo.

funkster

Indeed it is - i love One slip 

maddox

Quote from: funkster on Sun, 2010-10-10, 16:13:27
Indeed it is - i love One slip 

One Slip, Yet Another Movie, Sorrow...

It is their best Gilmour-era album but still not their best album overall.

I do like their Venice concert though.
One of the best concerts ever played for I'm concerned.  8)