News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Started by Moonloop, Wed, 2005-04-13, 10:59:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonloop

Well, it's taken a few spins but this album is now rapidly becoming my album of the year.

Really difficult to get into for the first couple of listens but then the melodies, riffs, time changes and intricacies begin to become familiar and the whole album just opens up  ;D . The 10 minute title track opens the album with some really heavy guitarwork, it's an odd, challenging track with no discernable chorus, melody or structure  :o , but somehow it works, quite spectacularly. "Shallow" & "Lazarus" follow, the former a 'big, dumb rock song' and the latter a quiet, beautiful piano based number with a killer chorus.

"Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" is the centrepiece, a 12 minute prog epic moving from heavy guitars to an almost ambient workout. Truely magnificent.

Other highlights are "The Start of Something Beautiful", "Melotron Scratch" and the closing number "Glass Arm Shattering".

I'd honestly recommend it to anyone, but only if they're prepared to give it some time as it's a bit hard going at first  ;)

The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

The Voyager

In course of time I stopped to listen to their albums . In my view, Porcupine Tree isn't worthy to be called a great prog-act. Not too bad, not too good.  :-\ There is a lot of fine bands which are producing superb quality music. As for Steven Wilson, his head began to swim.  :P Sorry, Moonloop.        

Moonloop

Quote from: The Voyager on Wed, 2005-04-13, 18:26:21
In course of time I stopped to listen to their albums . In my view, Porcupine Tree isn't worthy to be called a great prog-act. Not too bad, not too good.  :-\ There is a lot of fine bands which are producing superb quality music. As for Steven Wilson, his head began to swim.  :P Sorry, Moonloop.        

I'm not too sure whether I'd refer to them as a prog-band to be honest (even though that's their main audience). They're certainly my favourite band of the last 5-10 years but I can appreciate the fact they aren't everyone's cup of tea  :)

Peter

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-04-14, 08:00:01
... but I can appreciate the fact they aren't everyone's cup of tea  :)

Heh, so you're one of those who listen to the music because it's out of the ordinary.... ;)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Voyager

Hey Moonloop. Please get me wright, don't be offended. It's just a matter of personal taste.  ;)

Moonloop

Quote from: The Voyager on Thu, 2005-04-14, 17:15:09
Hey Moonloop. Please get me wright, don't be offended. It's just a matter of personal taste.  ;)

Nope - not offended, not in the least  ;D

(I've been married for 10 years so I'm used to not having my opinions agreed with  :D  ;) )

Peter

Em, by the way, and to get back on topic, this is actually really an amazing album. I attended one of their concerts this week, and I was totally blown away (as already mentioned in another thread :) ). Can't stop playing it at the moment.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Quote from: Peter on Sat, 2005-04-23, 14:52:20
Em, by the way, and to get back on topic, this is actually really an amazing album. I attended one of their concerts this week, and I was totally blown away (as already mentioned in another thread :) ). Can't stop playing it at the moment.

Glad to hear it. It's certainly a "grower" and the logical progression (if you pardon the pun) from its predesessor "In Absentia". Still have a soft spot for the earlier more ambient/Floydy stuff though but the later albums will do just fine for now....  ;D

Moonloop