News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Copenhell

Started by Nicky007, Thu, 2011-06-23, 17:50:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

I promised to write a bit about Copenhell 2011 - whether ya like it or not, guys - ya better like it - growl  >:(

I think that the metal Roomies will find somethin of interest  :)

OK, the big expectation for me was of course Judas Priest. This was the one and only chance for me to experience them, as I had never before, and it was their Epitaph tour.

Btw, as I hear it, they'r currently recording a new album - megastoked here  8)

They'r one of my fave groups (not the only one), and I'm particularly cult about them, because they'r from my birthtown Birmingham, they worked their way up from the furnaces of British Steel, and cuz Glenn Tipton's religiousness speaks very deeply to me (Paxi  ;) ).

Priest were the headliner of Copenhell 2011 and played Friday at midnight. Altho I had heard several great groups earlier in the evening (more later), I was really excited. What would Glenn be like, Rob, the new guitarist Richie Faulkner, and how could Scott and Ian create such a formidable rhythm section ::)

I went early in order to secure me a place upfront. We waited long. People were tired, but also excited. For everyone up here, these guys were L-e-g-e-n-d !

And then the curtain went up, and the guys played. All of'm except Rob were in top shape from the word go. Rob probably hadnt warmed up much, he seemed somewhat remote. He stood with his head down when silent, then raised it for the singin. Not much action.

Richie went all the way forward right from the beginning, I guess to become friends with those who were disappointed that it wasnt K.K. bandying with Glenn. In any case, he made a good impression, burned thru, but without tryin to take over the show. Fine musician, for sure, and a boon for Priest  8)

Well, Rob took his time, bumbled around for a while, kept his register at medium. But slowly the crowd's excitement caught hold of him, and he really took off. Man, what a singer - still  *horns*

They played only one song from Nostradamus, the theme song Nostradamus, one of the biggest rockers on the album. I of course would have liked more, but I know that only few Priest fans dig this album. Whew, Rob was clad like a real medieval alchymist, in a long black robe, he had his natural big beard, and carried a staff with three forks above. Here he got into it bigtime. At some point the three forks started spitting fire, and man, what a powerful performance  *horns*

Glenn did his, giving the cues, and he played some tremendous solos, often so fast and intricate that I couldnt follow them. What a wonderful musician  :)

Ian keeps himself in the background, but clearly enjoys being there and doin his thing, and man, does he get that bass rockin  8)

Scott was all over the place, but could also spice with some delicate tingles, proving himself one of the best drummers around, and a great choice for Priest - considering the difficulties they had finding the right drummer.

They played for two hours and gave us their all. What a great experience  *horns* *horns* *horns*

The first group I experienced at Copenhell when I arrived Friday afternoon was Opeth. They had a big crowd of fans up there, and they drew us newcomers into the magic. The Opeth guys don't whip up much show, it's just Mikael saying some friendly words between the songs, but you see that they'r really into their music, and the music fully does it. Great concert  *horns*

I have some cult with Opeth too, as Madame 007 is from Malmö, and we've been a lot in Stockholm, Opeth's hometown. So I feel that I can tune in with the coolness - in all senses - of Opeth  8)

The biggest positive surprise for me was All That Remains. I hardly knew them before Copenhell. Man, were they good. The evening sky was all electric, and the blast beats were like lightning streaks. The bassist Jeanne Sagan was the only woman musician I experienced at the festival, she must be a witch  ;D

Also singer Philip Labonte has an extraordinary magnetism on stage, really burned thru to the crowd, charismatic, cool, and down to earth - like a true prog musician should be  :)

After checkin'm up a bit more on YouTube, they'v become pantheon with me  *horns*

Baptized in Blood from Ontario I had never heard about. Normally I avoid groups with such names, but I'm sure glad that I didnt here. A young group, aspiring and crazy, and fully professional and fulfilling. I'l have to get their albums  8)

Korn I was also very stoked about. As you know, their music is very special, requires different criteria than other groups  ;)

Also they gave a great show. Jonathan Davis is sooo much a musician, he gets fully into it, and opens up his enormous bag of tricks. And the other Korn guys really knew how to whip up a show of dimensions. Ray Luzier, their new drummer (after David Silveria), really spread out his wings and was fully convincing as Korn drummer.

Bullet for My Valentine was another very positive surprise. There are actually quite a number of excellent metalcore bands around these days. One of the things that distinguish Valentine is their singing: They have no lead singer, all the instrumentalists are great singers, and they take turns leading, while the others chime in with harmonies. The synthesis is mesmerising  :)

Another group I have to follow up on .....

There were three groups that disappointed: Deicide, Mayhem, and Kvelertak. All three I left after a few songs  :-\

Deicide means "killing God", and they sure made a convincing attempt to do just that. I don't think I'v ever heard a group that noisy - it was as if it was noise for noise's sake. But I think in the last end, God survived - at least I hope so  ;)

Kvelertak are a big name in metalworld. They sing in Norwegian. Unfortunately I don't find neither much melody nor variation in their music, so it ends up being noise to me  :'(

Mayhem were weird - bigtime - and monotonous. The best description I heard was "vampire rock". The singer was basically droning out stuff like "Sweet Satan, come to me". Hm, not exactly my cup of blood  :(

So guys, guess that's it. Questions and requests for details are welcome  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

OK guys, I finished my report. Hope ya enjoy it  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Wow, the lineup for Copenhell 2012:

SLAYER
MARILYN MANSON
MASTODON
LAMB OF GOD
IMMORTAL
KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
TRIVIUM
ANTHRAX
ALL SHALL PERISH
SKELETONWITCH
KORPIKLAANI

Mastodon, Trivium, and Anthrax are pantheon with me, so  *horns* *horns* *horns*

Slayer I like a lot too, so I'm looking forward to their concert too  *horns*  they'r a bit too monotonous, and their lyrics seem to me to be a bit too anti-Christian, to be pantheon

Re Marilyn Manson  :o  I'l try to go to the concert and see whether they have some musical merit  ???

Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, and Immortal havent yet gripped me, so they don't have top priority, but I would like to experience them  :)

Skeletonwitch, All Shall Perish, and Korpiklaani (looks Finnish) I don't know, so  :-\

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

OK, a report about Copenhell 2012.

The crowd seemed a bit bigger to me than last year, which is good, as it can easily grow. With sooo many big names, there could comfortably be some 50% more guests.

You hear lotta non-Danish spoken, indicating that people come long ways to this exceptional occasion. To my taste, it's the best music festival in all Scandinavia, even better than Sweden Rock, as Copenhell is very much oriented toward edgy metal, and thus attracts choosy clientele - like me  ;D

What I often wonder about is, where do the Danish guests come from ?  Most of the crowd seemed to me to be Danish. There were only two guys who I knew before attending Copenhell 2011. Since then I'v gained a few more friends/acquaintances, who I meet at the festivals. (I'm not the type who just stands quietly in the corner, as you guys may have guessed.) What sorta people go to metal festivals, and why don't I meet'm in civil life  ???

So, I heard three of my pantheon groups - what a treat: Anthrax, Mastodon, and Trivium. I missed Gojira, as they played late Friday, and by that time I was sated. Well, there'l be some other occasion.

I had a great time with Anthrax. These guys are simply such fabulous musicians, and you really felt at Copenhell that even now, some thirty years after they started, they still love playing their stuff for us fans. I only really know their latest two albums, Worship Music and We've Come for You All. I truly enjoyed their rendition of the pieces from these albums, and everybody else enjoyed their earlier stuff, transporting me too.

We were all happy to see Joey Belladonna back in the mix (after I don't know how many other singers). He's a very charismatic frontman, in the best of senses, masters the material fully, and uses his extraordinary energy and experience to uphold an amazing contact with the audience. He's half Iroquois, and has a genuine compassion for the weak in society.

Mastodon were on later Friday. They were also great. Brann Dailor is an amazing drummer; unfortunately he whips up the mood a bit too much, and the other guys also raised the bar, so the sound got too muddy, and you couldnt quite get all the fine melody, harmonies, and instrumental stuff. Even so, they put on a great show.

Musically the best concert was that of Trivium imo. Sure, they played loud, heavy, and fast, and got us fans doin lotta crazy shit, like a good metalband should, but still all their fine melody and solos were perceptible without straining oneself, and that made for some welcome variation in the music. Naturally the highlights were the songs from Shogun, the fave of most fans.

The big surprise for me was Immortal. These guys appear on first listens to be a very weird and dissonant Norwegian black metal band (from Bergen), but several guests I talked with at the festival recommended their show warmly, so I was quite curious. They dress up in black robes and face paint, so already there they create a special atmosphere, and then they play loud as hell - only three guys ! - the drummer pounding relentlessly on his drums with anything that can move; and the effect is quite a sound assault, but truly gripping in its own special way.

Here, just to give an impression:     Immortal:  All Shall Fall     www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo

I also heard Killswitch Engage. Unfortunately they don't really engage me. (Maybe that's why I don't kill switches, I keep a respectful distance to'm.) They'r OK, but .... Anyone here into'm ?

And Brutal Truth (claimed to be pioneers of grindcore), All Shall Perish, and Lamb of God, which engaged me even less. Hey, what happened to melody ???

All in all a great experience, just like last year's Copenhell; and the beer was better this year, as they had got Tuborg in the mix, and Tuborg Gold goes real well with metal concerts 8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Seems like you had a great time out there.
There are quite a few bands that I've heard of: Slayer, Marilyn Manson, Mastodon, Lamb Of God, Trivium, Anthrax, Korpiklaani, but out of those there is only one that I like: Mastodon.
I'm not that much for Slayer or Marilyn Manson. But I've heard some good things about Gojira. What are they like? I know they're from France, which makes me wonder even more, since there's surprisingly little Prog coming from France.

The Immortal song you just posted does nothing for me. Their 'Kiss' masquerade is funny though.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2012-06-18, 17:17:52
Seems like you had a great time out there.

Yup, I did  *horns*

And I'l finish my report soon. There's just been lotta other stuff these days  ;)

There are quite a few bands that I've heard of: Slayer, Marilyn Manson, Mastodon, Lamb Of God, Trivium, Anthrax, Korpiklaani, but out of those there is only one that I like: Mastodon.

Well, Paxi, if you like Mastodon, I think that you could get around to liking Trivium and Anthrax too. Just be patient - you know, that's the key virtue for proggies  ;)

Get Trivium's Shogun, and Anthrax' Worship Music, at some point. Once you'v given'm some runs, you won't regret your purchases  :)

there's surprisingly little prog coming from France.

That's actually not the case any longer. France is now what I'd call a second-line prog country (first line being UK, USA, and Canada), together with Norway, Sweden, Germany, and Poland. (Your Netherlands, and my Denmark, I'd say are third line, + some further countries).

France is really changing in these times, the Frenchies becoming much more open and interested in what's goin on in the rest of the world. Great, cuz that's led to, among other good things, the emergence of fine prog groups like Adagio, Gojira, Spheric Universe Experience, and Demians, and many excellent French musicians playing in groups based in other countries.

Gojira are pretty harsh, and there's lotta growl. Paxi, I think you'd initially enjoy the other three mentioned groups more  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

So guys, I finished my Copenhell 2012 report. Hope you enjoy it - ya better >:( >:( >:(

:P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

You did not tell us about the really interesting things :

How many people in the audience wore earplugs ?

Were there girl-fronted bands ? If yes, did you enjoy them ?

And so on ...  :)

I heard a few songs from Spheric Universe Experience on the Net and I liked them. A band to check.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2012-06-20, 14:10:13
How many people in the audience wore earplugs ?

Only the pussies  ;D

Were there girl-fronted bands ?

Among the about two hundred musicians that I experienced at Copenhell 2011 and 2012, there was one woman (Jeanne Sagan, bassist in All That Remains, a fine bassist at that).

It can't be a surprise to you guys, that there are about five times as many males than females at metal festivals - and most of the women look like they'v had a difficult childhood  ;)

That was a bit nasty  :-[  But metal is obviously a very male thing, probably a combination of that it is aggressive, loud, and involves a lot of technology  ???

did you enjoy them ?

What, the women ?  :D

I heard a few songs from Spheric Universe Experience on the Net and I liked them. A band to check.

8)  Bupie

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Glad you had a good time.

I do enjoy a good festival although there doesn't seem to be any in my future at the moment.  :(

maddox

I will read through your thoughts later this weekend, if you don't mind Nicky. ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2012-06-20, 21:55:05

I do enjoy a good festival although there doesn't seem to be any in my future at the moment.  :(
This one I would have LOVED to go : http://www.celebr8prog.com/Festival_Line_Up.html

You are lucky to live in England ... sometimes  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2012-06-21, 00:11:06
I will read through your thoughts later this weekend, if you don't mind Nicky. ;)

As long as ya don't go too deep, Mad  :o

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2012-06-20, 21:55:05

:)  Iggy

Answer:

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2012-06-21, 10:40:41
www.celebr8prog.com/Festival_Line_Up.html

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2012-06-18, 17:17:52
The Immortal song you just posted does nothing for me.

I didn't expect any other Roomie to go for it - well, maybe Funky, in an opportune moment  ;)  - but, tellya, their live shows are worth an experience  :)

I'm planning to get their Sons Of The Northern Darkness soon, as it was recommended warmly to me by my good friend Fona Mads  8)

Let's see. Who says life has to be foreseeable ?  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Sounds like you had a real good time Nicky and thanks for your thoughts and comments on it

Immortal do no do anything for me except make me reach for the ear protectors  :D

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Sun, 2012-06-24, 20:29:19
Sounds like you had a real good time Nicky and thanks for your thoughts and comments on it

8)  Funky

Immortal don't do anything for me except make me reach for the ear protectors  :D

Well, they'r Immortal, so they'l still be around next time ya come  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2012-06-24, 20:49:55
8)  Funky

Well, they'r Immortal, so they'l still be around next time ya come  ;D

Nicky.

Lord no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;)

Nicky007

OK, man, Copenhell comin up next weekend, Friday 14. & Saturday 15. - Yoohoo  *horns*

Most important: Alice in Chains, Friday 21:30 - rilly lookin forward to that !

Got Between the Buried & Me at 15:30 - another good one for me.

In Flames at 19:00, have some expectations for that.

Amon Amarth at 16:30, I'll do that mainly for Funky - cost ya a beer, man  ;)

And Illdisposed, Ghost, Parkway Drive, and Scarred by Beauty, which I don't have any expectations about  :-\

Tell ya a bit afterwards. Any special requests ?

Can't attend Saturday, as we have a big reunion with old physicist friends from India, Oz, and Britain. Gonna miss Down and TestAmenT  :'(  but the most important is that I will experience AiC - understandable, huh, Mad, Funky, Jonesey ?

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Copenhell 2013 was great  *horns*

I got in a bit late, and there was a long queue this time, so I was only there at 6 p.m., missing BtBaM and Amon Amarth, groups that I would have liked to experience. Otoh at 11 p.m. I was so worn out that I didnt regret it any longer.

At 6 was Illdisposed from Aarhus, Denmark. They didnt do much for me, so I went to another scene, where was:

Cancer Bats from Toronto, Canada. Had never heard of'm. Surprisingly, since they were real good. They were eager to share their music, so there was a good contact with the audience. CB are very eclectic. They have a basis which often sounds like AC/DC, but they put a lotta extra stuff into it, making them quite progressive.

In Flames was the biggest surprise for me. I wasnt big on'm ... till now. Their concert was a blast. Yes, it is Gothenberg metal (which can often be somewhat monotonous (what a lotta o's)), but they have built so much into it, that it really ripped you away again and again. Super! I have to induct them into my pantheon and buy some of their recent albums.

Then there were Ghost from Linköping, Sweden. Another pleasant surprise. The singer dresses up like a pope, and the other guys cover themselves up, making a rather gothic appearance. Their music was also very eclectic, from reminding me of Stone Temple Pilots to Latin chant. Also a great experience.

I had to leave before they were finished, cuz I wanted to make sure that I was in position for: the one and only, legendary, Alice in Chains! When I heard AiC first time eight years ago, I was totally blown away. What a sound! They were super yesterday. They'r so professional now, have perfected their sound, had a real thumpy rhythm section, their special skew harmony singing, and man, it was just sooo good. Realised that they are big in Scandinavia: Everybody was singing along "Here comes the rooster" and stuff, and people went totally bananas.

People are real nice at CH. They buy lines of beer, and distribute them to people around them. Me, being a pauper these days, I was happy to get two free 40 cl beer mugs. Gonna return one day. And no anger at all, only helpfulness and smiles and even hugs with guys I'v never seen before. Got me an excellent vegeburger (on request without the stupid cheese), hadnt expected that at a metalfest.

So, guys, that's it. This eve it's a gettogether with old physicist friends, so no Copenhell.

- Nicky

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Teunis

It seems you had a great time Nicky, thanks for your review *horns*.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Thanx Teunis  :)

I'll take you along next year, hold your hand when they growl  ;D

Glad that you'r gettin into Dream Theater  8)

How are you with Alice in Chains ?

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Thanks for the report.

In Flames, another band that I have to check as soon as possible.

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2013-06-17, 12:31:17
How are you with Alice in Chains ?
Know them by name, not the music as far as I know (I assume they're not that radio-friendly if you like them ::) ;)). Have to google/YouTube them.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Peter

backlog: in Flames, Ghost
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2013-06-17, 19:49:59
I assume they're not that radio-friendly if you like them ::) ;)).

I take that as a compliment, Teunis  ;D ;D ;D

I think you may quite like AiC. I recommend some of their early stuff from the 90's to begin with. They'v gotten heavier with time. But guaranteed growlfree  :D

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2013-06-20, 16:50:02
backlog: in Flames, Ghost

No need to overreach, Cap: I don't expect you to like In Flames - they are very heavy and growly and shouty - and Ghost are rather weird - I havent yet gotten properly into'm.

Let me recommend something more in your and Teunis' lines:

Royal Hunt definitely. Start with Collision Course. Give it a few runs. Superalbum, similar to and just as great as The Wall, and very Arenaish too. Can't really get any better  :)

Else there's their Fear and The Mission - a bit lighter than CC.

I'v been trying to get Roomies into RH, but I think till now it's only Jonesey who's caught on. Some people just don't want to hear great music  ;)

Then there's Haken. Complex music, needs even more runs, but then they'r super duper. Here I think more Roomies have caught on, even Paxi, whose strange ways I can't quite follow  :o

And just one formidable piece by To-Mera - crank up the volume:   Traces  www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir-YrP8Qqgc

But then leave them and take up RH and Haken instead, as To-Mera are else very heavy  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can