News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Ayreon

Started by funkster, Sun, 2011-01-30, 09:49:27

Previous topic - Next topic

funkster

Any recommendations would be greatfully received

Iggy

You could try downloading timeline from amazon 11.49. It is a triple CD with stuff from all of his Cd's.

My favourite changes but Into the Electric Castle is probably one of the best. It is all personal preferences. I think I got the Human Equation first as it has James Labrie in it.

funkster

Listening to Into the electric castle now an i am HUGELY impressed

Bloke is a genius  *horns*

Iggy

Excellent. There is quite a bit of Ayreon on Spotify.

Peter

Quote from: funkster on Sun, 2011-01-30, 17:44:55
Listening to Into the electric castle now an i am HUGELY impressed

Bloke is a genius  *horns*

This is a good start. Try "Universal Migrator Part 2, Flight Of The Migrator", next. It's part of a double album, too, but pt.1 is not actually metallic :)
After that try his "Star One - Space Metal", then ""Ayreon - The Human Equation". Those are the Ayreon highlights, in my humble opinion.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Peter on Mon, 2011-01-31, 20:38:07
Try "Universal Migrator Part 2, Flight Of The Migrator", next. It's part of a double album, too, but pt.1 is not actually metallic :)

Funny. Although it's far from metal, The Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer is probably my favourite Ayreon-album. I think it's the only album that is a bit 'different' compared to the rest of their (his) discography. That's not to say that I don't like any other Ayreon-stuff. In fact, if The Human Equation was toned down to a single album that would probably be my favourite. The latest (and last?) album, 01011001 is also really good, it's a bit darker but I can't stand some of the lyrics on this one.

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2011-02-02, 08:41:34
Funny. Although it's far from metal, The Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer is probably my favourite Ayreon-album. I think it's the only album that is a bit 'different' compared to the rest of their (his) discography. That's not to say that I don't like any other Ayreon-stuff. In fact, if The Human Equation was toned down to a single album that would probably be my favourite. The latest (and last?) album, 01011001 is also really good, it's a bit darker but I can't stand some of the lyrics on this one.

Tom

I also prefer The Dream Sequencer over The Flight Of The Migrator. It has some great songs like "When The Druids Turn To Stone" (one of my favourites of Ayreon).

If I had to make a list:

1. Universal Migrator, Part 1: The Dream Sequencer
2. The Human Equation
3. Into The Electric Castle
4. The Final Experiment
5. 01011001
6. Actual Fantasy
7. Universal Migrator, Part 2: The Flight Of The Migrator

But the list changes everytime.

--Paco

maddox

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2011-03-14, 11:44:54

But the list changes everytime.

--Paco

That is a fact.
I have that all the time but with Ayreon I always put ITEC on pole position.
Lately though, it has been replaced by The Human Equation.
Terrific album indeed.

And I also agree with the two Migrator albums.
The softer one is way better than the speedy one.
You mentioned Druids but what about 2084? Captain Frans B? And The First Man on Earth?

Awesome to say the least!  *horns*

01011001 is also good but to polished to my liking.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

New Ayreon album in 2013!  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D776GI1qYwI

Really like the things I hear, refreshing ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Peter

Yeees, sounds great, wann have it! Now!

Teunis

Well, at least a little bit of Ayreon news today ;):

Sorry that there have been so few updates from me lately...working hard on the new Ayreon album! I just started writing the lyrics and I decided on the album title. It's called... 'The Theory of Everything" Won't tell you what it's about yet though!

PH

Yeah read about it on the Facebook page! *horns*
"The Theory Of Everything" sounds a little bit pretentious. But I guess that's what Ayreon is all about. Over the top to the max. ;D

Looking forward to it!

Teunis

After hearing the soundbytes on the Ayreon Facebook page I'm even more looking forward to the album, just 8). And the guest musicians and singers that were announced, surreal. What do you think of: Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Jordan Rudess, Steve Hackett, Troy Donockley and (one of my favourite singers) John Wetton? Bring it on!

PH

Yes, it's fantastic!

Take a look at these vocalists!:

Marco Hietala (Nightwish)
JB (Grand Magus)
Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)
Michael Mills (Toehider)
John Wetton (Asia, King Crimson)
Sara Squadrani (Ancient Bards)
Tommy Karevik (Seventh Wonder, Kamelot)

What's so great about Ayreon is that you come to know all these (to me) unknown singers. Gives me a lot of new bands to discover!
And I just LOVE John Wetton being on Ayreon. The guy has a pretty good voice after all these years.
Also Tommy Karevik as vocals for the lead role on the album. Man, this should be good! 8)

Keith Emerson (ELP)
Rick Wakeman (Yes)
Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)
Steve Hackett (Genesis)
Troy Donockley (Iona, Mostly Autumn and recently also Nightwish)

All these classic players. It's unbelievable! Why Arjen still can't convince David Gilmour is still a mystery to me.
Also Troy Donockley on uillean pipes is a great move! What a sound. Love it!

After all these super stars, let's not forget Arjen's fixed group of household artist surrounding him:
Jeroen Goossens on flutes
Ben Mathot on violin
Maaike Peterse on cello

And of course the fantastic Ed Warby. As Arjen deservedly says: "who needs all these drummers, when you've got Ed!"

This new Ayreon album is pretty hyped up, but not without a reason.
I. CAN'T. WAIT.

PH

Teunis

maddox

The meaning of life.

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Yes, and that's only the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.
Can you imagine what it would be like if we actually knew what the question was!

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2013-09-07, 21:32:13
Yes, and that's only the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.
Can you imagine what it would be like if we actually knew what the question was!
We do. "6x7=?"
Let your conscience decide !

PH

Quote from: Draco chimera on Sun, 2013-09-15, 12:01:15
We do. "6x7=?"

Oddly enough, in this particular case the ultimate question would be more likely to be "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?". This, of course, only applies when you put the question together with Scrabble stones randomly pulled out of a bag. Preferably at a restaurant at the end of the universe.

Though, some would reason that To be or not to be, that is the question.

Peter

*ola*

can't wait. urgently needed this update.

did I already mention that I can't wait?

PH

Time to pre-order the good stuff:

http://store.arjenlucassen.com/preorders.html

I was tempted to go for the Limited Edition Luxury Artbook Bundle, which consists of 2 cds (the actual album) two discs with instrumentals, a DVD, a T-shirt and a poster, but in the end I chose to buy just the Limited Edition Luxury Artbook (the double album + two discs with instrumentals and the DVD).
I just have to get me the instrumentals. ;D

Bupie

And what about a normal edition for those who just want the music ? :P  Not available on preorder or not avalaible at all ?