News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Muse - The Resistance

Started by The Butterfly Man, Fri, 2009-09-04, 08:33:09

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

The new Muse-album 'The Resistance' will be released in less than 2 weeks and after hearing 30-second clips from all songs on http://muse.mu/media-player/albums/47/the-resistance/ I'm really excited! Based on the samples I think the album will be quite proggy so I think it will be an interesting album for some of the people in the Room.

I've been a Muse-fan for quite some years, so I will definitely pick this album up on release-day, no matter if it's proggy sounding or not! ;)

Any opinions on Muse in general and the new album samples?

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

I love Muse!
Definitely will check this out!

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2009-09-04, 08:33:09
Any opinions on Muse in general and the new album samples?

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious rather than truly progressive imo, as to Muse in general (I havent heard their latest stuff, but I can't imagine them having turned progressive all of a sudden)  :-\

prggy

Maybe that's what it is  ;D

Tom, you seem less prog than usual atm. I would have thought that Zero Order Phase was more to your taste  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-09-04, 18:06:16
Tom, you seem less prog than usual atm. I would have thought that Zero Order Phase was more to your taste  ???

You're right about me being less prog I guess. I'm really into bands like Muse, Saybia and Dredg at the moment. I still get my daily dose of prog, but in general the balance seems to be shifting a bit these days. I don't know if it's just a fase, but we'll see. It's not all bad though, I listened to some Scar Symmetry just a few hours ago... ;)

Tom

maddox

I can agree with Saybia there but why Muse?

Somehow i just can't get into them.
There's no connection. :(

Maybe I'm listening with the wrong ears.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2009-09-04, 21:31:49

Try the big ones.

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2009-09-04, 20:51:20
It's not all bad though, I listened to some Scar Symmetry just a few hours ago... ;)

OK, I was really gettin worried about ya  :o

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2009-09-04, 21:35:41
Try the big ones.

That's corny  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-09-05, 12:18:18
OK, I was really gettin worried about ya  :o

There's no need to worry, but thanks! :D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-09-04, 18:06:16
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious rather than truly progressive imo, as to Muse in general (I havent heard their latest stuff, but I can't imagine them having turned progressive all of a sudden)  :-\

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2009-09-04, 21:31:49
I can agree with Saybia there but why Muse?

Somehow i just can't get into them.
There's no connection. :(

Well, I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about what is prog and what is not, but I'm a bit surprised there isn't more love for Muse here in the Room.

Tom

erik

I'd say Muse are definitely prog-related/influenced and are worth a try, the vocals are an acquired taste though. I have all their albums except the first and have pre-ordered the new one, as Tom has said it promises to be their proggiest work yet!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

I had a period a couple'o years ago when I found them exciting, but I tired quite fast, and now I find'm cloying. I feel I'v been thru those experiences with my classical music bouts (remember, guys, I'v been around for longer than most'o you); I dont need it anymore.

However, since you guys are ravin bout their new album, I'l give it a run sometime .....

What I do need is -> NP

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

What I like about Muse is they are totally over the top and all over the place, pretentious yet tongue in cheek at the same time. And they sure can play their instruments. *horns*
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2009-09-07, 16:51:19
What I like about Muse is they are totally over the top and all over the place, pretentious yet tongue in cheek at the same time. And they sure can play their instruments. *horns*

Exactly! They are really expressive!

Manatee

I'll need to give Muse a more thorough listen.  I heard them from time to time on Pandora (haven't used that in ages since I started getting lots of band tips from you lot).  My impression was they had interesting moments, but I didn't really hear a song that grabbed me in a big way.  That could certainly change with a larger sampling.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Guess I go for stuff that's more edgy/uncomfortable  :-\

It has to hurt to feel good  ;D

Guess that's why most'o you guys don't like Nevermore  ???

Just a pity that so many Nevermore fans are morons  ::)

In general, I think it's important that one really tries out music for oneself, doesnt let oneself be swayed by neither media, friends, nor roomies. Aint that so, guys ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-09-08, 15:25:38
Just a pity that so many Nevermore fans are morons  ::)

So you're basically talking about Nevermorons? ;D

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2009-09-08, 15:50:13
Nevermorons? ;D

;D

But also  :(

This great band merits some more serious listeners  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-09-08, 15:25:38
In general, I think it's important that one really tries out music for oneself, doesnt let oneself be influenced by neither media, friends, nor roomies. Aint that so, guys ?
Yep, you're the one listening in the end, it has to be worthwhile for you! But the influences you mention can of course be valuable in pointing you towards interesting music and helping you "select" from the abundance of music out there.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

The Butterfly Man

Like I said earlier, based on samples I heard I expected it to be proggy and after listening to the album a couple of times I can confirm that it is their most progressive work to date. There are a lot of Queen-references as well which I find interesting. Apparantly they are getting a lot of criticism for this but I think that I will come to really like this album. I need to give it some more listens though.

Tom

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2009-09-17, 11:00:43
Like I said earlier, based on samples I heard I expected it to be proggy and after listening to the album a couple of times I can confirm that it is their most progressive work to date. There are a lot of Queen-references as well which I find interesting. Apparantly they are getting a lot of criticism for this but I think that I will come to really like this album. I need to give it some more listens though.

Tom

I listened to this album today, and it's great. One for the collection!
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

maddox

As a man who always claimed that Muse is not my thing i must say this:

I'm pleasantly surprised by their latest album, The Resistance.

Especially Uprising is a huge track with a great chorus.  *horns*
I do have mixed feelings about the singer though. He tends to annoy me.  :-\
I also hear the Queen influences and nevertheless still like it. Especially since i'm probably the only living soul who doesn't like Queen.  :-[ :-*

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2009-10-13, 11:28:52
... i'm probably the only living soul who doesn't like Queen.  :-[ :-*

I sure hope so !!!

What's wrong with ya, Mad  :o

Give Sheer Heart Attack a coupl'o runs, and then we'l talk about it .....

But OK, I'l soon try out The Resistance .....

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-10-15, 17:22:30
I sure hope so !!!

What's wrong with ya, Mad  :o

I developed a certain taste in music.
And Queen does not belong to it.  ;D

Bupie

Apart from a few songs (and especially Bohemian Rhapsody  *horns* *horns* *horns*), I am not really a huge Queen fan. But a band that found a song's title like "Fat Bottomed Girls" can't be bad  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2009-10-15, 20:50:58
I developed a certain taste in music.
And Queen does not belong to it.  ;D

... and you still havent listened to Sheer Heart Attack, the best Queen album before they went stadium (imo)  ;)

Their last studio album Made in Heaven is great too.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2009-10-16, 09:53:25
(and especially Bohemian Rhapsody  *horns* *horns* *horns*),

Especially because Bohemian Rhapsody i h. .. . eh...don't like them so much.  :-\

That song is soooo overrated in my humble opinion.
Everybody says its the best song ever made but i can't find anything positive nor good about it.
As a matter of fact, I even rate Innuendo much and i say MUCH higher. That is a good song.  ;)

And to be honest, the statement that Freddy was the best singer in the world ( i tend to hear that from time to time) is hugely exaggerated.
True, he was good but he was a better performer than singer.
And those are two different things.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-10-16, 12:41:45

... and you still havent listened to Sheer Heart Attack, the best Queen album before they went stadium (imo)  ;)

Sorry, I did.  ;)

But it hasn't changed my opinion in the past and i doubt it ever will.  ;)