News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Porcupine Tree - new album: The Incident

Started by PH, Wed, 2009-06-17, 07:21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

ironcow2103

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2009-09-11, 21:24:28
Yay! Had an e-mail to say 'The Incident' has despatched *horns*

Too much to hope it'll turn up tomorrow - probably Monday at the earliest :(

Also had an email on Friday, not in Saturday, Monday or Tuesday's post - hope the postie isn't a PT fan!  ;)

Peter

Also eagerly awaiting the new album now. Previews sound much more promising than FoaBP, methinks...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Iggy

Quote from: ironcow2103 on Tue, 2009-09-15, 18:51:21
Also had an email on Friday, not in Saturday, Monday or Tuesday's post - hope the postie isn't a PT fan!  ;)

Unlucky.

Mine came from Amazon Jersey so maybe it's still on the Ferry enjoying the duty free.

ironcow2103

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2009-09-16, 12:39:03
Mine came from Amazon Jersey so maybe it's still on the Ferry enjoying the duty free.

Arrived Wednesday with the new Muse album - PT are edging it at the moment!  ;)

Peter

OK, third and more intense spin here, and... it's gorgeous. Really.

Btw: does anyone know who does the whispers and spoken words on PT albums? Something makes me think that it could be Gavin, somehow...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Manatee

OK, Porcupine Tree must have gotten too popular.  They're not even shipping mine out until Monday.   :(
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

erik

Great album, but why don't the tracks segue seamlessly??! ??? >:(
I've got the retail version and between all tracks there's a 2-second break/silence that of course should not be there and quite ruins the listening experience. And no I'm not playing it on my PC but on my perfectly well functioning stereo cd player. Anyone else noticed this? I've got one from the Monday morning batch?
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

bellanova

That is the problem i had too but as it happened with The Visitor too i replaced the cd player. But i havent tried The Incident again.Will see later!

erik

Don't have this problem with other concept albums (or live albums), so don't think it's the cd player. But will give it a try on our other stereo just in case.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Iggy

Quote from: erik on Sat, 2009-10-03, 13:34:36
I've got the retail version and between all tracks there's a 2-second break/silence that of course should not be there and quite ruins the listening experience. And no I'm not playing it on my PC but on my perfectly well functioning stereo cd player. Anyone else noticed this? I've got one from the Monday morning batch?

Mine plays seamlessly however it take a couple of minutes for my Cd player to load which was weird.

That hasn't happened before!

Manatee

Quote from: erik on Sat, 2009-10-03, 13:34:36

Very strange.  I can't usually even tell when it's changed songs on my copy.  I have that problem with the CDs of Gazpacho that I burned from my downloads (legal, of course), but that was my own mistake since iTunes gives you the option of whether you want the gap or not.  Maybe you did get one from the Monday morning batch.   :-\
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

erik

QuoteMaybe you did get one from the Monday morning batch :-\

It seems to be the case, tried our other stereo and same thing there, so it's really the cd. I'll  contact Roadrunner 'bout it now.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

erik

Status report, CD WOW where I ordered the album has stated the following:

QuoteIt has been brought to our attention that a number of initial copies of Porcupine Tree's new album 'The Incident' are faulty. Whilst CD WOW always strives to give Best Value Always we do not compromise on the quality of the product we send to our customers. The initial batch of 'The Incident' have booklet print quality issues, and we are now sourcing new copies from our supplier which meet our high standards. These new copies will be sent to you free of charge, and there is no need to return the copies we initially sent. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will be sending you a new version of 'The Incident' as quickly as possible. We will update you when we ship these CDs.

They say the booklet is flawed and don't mention the breaks between the tracks. Be as it may, I received a new copy yesterday which does not have the breaks, hurrah!! *horns*
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

maddox

Quote from: erik on Thu, 2009-10-22, 09:36:49
Status report, CD WOW where I ordered the album has stated the following:

They say the booklet is flawed and don't mention the breaks between the tracks. Be as it may, I received a new copy yesterday which does not have the breaks, hurrah!! *horns*

Funny, i received one as well.
Thought that they've messed up things since i had ordered a different album of PT which hasn't arrived as of yet.

Good service i'd say!
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Draco chimera

What about your favourite track on the album?

My father and I agree that Drawing the Line is really excellent. It's closer to the traditional scheme (Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Birdge-Chorus) than the other PT's songs, even if it has no bridge. But to me, The Incident is the best. I was quite surprised by this track the first time I listened to it, as it is very experimental. But I loved it ! :)  Circle Of Manias, too.
What about you?
Let your conscience decide !

Iggy

Quote from: Draco chimera on Fri, 2009-10-30, 22:37:18
What about your favourite track on the album?

My father and I agree that Drawing the Line is really excellent. It's closer to the traditional scheme (Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Birdge-Chorus) than the other PT's songs, even if it has no bridge. But to me, The Incident is the best. I was quite surprised by this track the first time I listened to it, as it is very experimental. But I loved it ! :)  Circle Of Manias, too.
What about you?

I really like the recurring guitar theme, Time Flies is my favourite but Drawing the line is excellent as well.

I like it more and more every time I play it which is how it should be.

Nicky007

Interesting, from Wiki (Porcupine Tree; my bold, nb):

"As a teenager, Wilson was a fan of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. From this starting point, his interest in music progressed on a cyclic path. When he discovered Seventies music and progressive rock, his interest in metal diminished in favour of experimental music. He later (in the 2000s) discovered bands like Gojira, Mastodon, Neurosis and Meshuggah, which restored his faith in metal music. 'For a long time I couldn't find where all these creative musicians were going...', said Wilson, 'and I found them, they were working in extreme metal.' Shortly thereafter he went to produce three consecutive albums by Swedish progressive death metal band Opeth and this had a considerable influence in his further songwriting.

This shift in influence explains why the musical range of Porcupine Tree can be split into three phases, namely from long psychedelic and space rock pieces in early works, to shorter pop rock songs in late nineties, and darker more metal-oriented songs in the beginning of the 21st century. There is also some noticeable influence from krautrock and electronic music since Wilson likes bands such as Can, Neu!, Tangerine Dream, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and artists like Klaus Schulze and Conrad Schnitzler among others. Wilson has also mentioned on multiple occasions that he also admires the work of American musician Trent Reznor."

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me