News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Another radio program of interest

Started by johninblack, Sun, 2006-04-02, 02:49:03

Previous topic - Next topic

johninblack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/pip/2pfhl/

Thought you might be interested in this - a program called My Wizard (original title alleged to be My Wizard is Bigger Than Your Wizard)

Here's the write up,

Investigating the phenomenon known as Prog Rock. John Aizlewood discovers what it was, and asks why it became the genre that dare not mention its name.

Born out of jazz and killed off by the Punk movement, Progressive Rock spawned numerous mind-altering album sleeves and became the catalyst for stadium rock pomposity.

With contributions from some of the most important progressive rock musicians, My Wizard asks why such a disparate group of bands were labelled as 'prog' when their influences incorporated styles as diverse as classical, jazz, folk and blues.

Contributors include Keith Emerson from ELP; Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull; Rod Argent from The Zombies and Argent; Fish, ex-Marillion, Heather Findlay from
Mostly Autumn; Hawkwind's Dave Brock and Simon Frith, Professor of Music at Edinburgh University.

Prog Paul

Hi

Listened to this on Saturday morning.. thought it was an April Fool thing... but.. no it was a real 'documentary'.. telling us how awful prog was etc, etc... Yaaawwwwnnnnn... sorry...

Very retrospective, (as usual), with no mention of the great bands doing the tours and albums that we all love...

Ahh well, one day maybe we will get a feature on 'TODAY'S' prog rock scene.. oh eck a big elephant just flew past my window!

Grumpy Prog Paul  8)

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....