News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now watching

Started by funkster, Mon, 2009-11-09, 17:03:54

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: Draco chimera on Mon, 2012-01-30, 14:57:49
Started watching Terra Nova a few days ago, I'm at episode 5. I expected more from it, but it's good though. I was quite skeptical after seeing TV spots, but it turns out they show part of the series in a way that makes it sound like the worst show in the universe. I'm glad it's not. CGI effects just look awesome.

Yeah, I've seen "Terra Nova" and I liked it very much. Although I must say it has many similarities to the British series "Outcasts".
Some said that "Terra Nova" is like a science fiction version of "Little House On The Prairie", and I can see why. It's got a 'family thing' to it.

I'm trying to follow "Grimm" and "Alcatraz".

Grimm is about a cop who is a 'grimm'. Some people are actually creatures from the grimm fairy tales. Like a big bad wolf, or a pig. The fairy tales weren't just tales, but warnings. Only a grimm can see these creatures for what they are. It's kind of ridiculous series, but it holds my attention just enough to keep watching.

Alcatraz is one I just jumped in on. It's about the Alcatraz island, obviously. In the 1960s Alcatraz closed and all the prisoners were moved to other prisons. But in reality this never happened. They disappeared and reappeared fifty years later, where they have their revenge on people. So there's some wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff going on.

Bupie

About Terra Nova : maybe I am getting too old but I find it rather dull. The episode with the "birds" coming back home was  :P And why did they take the same actor than in Avatar to play the camp's chief ?  ::) It brings to mind comparisons that are not in TN's favor IMO.

Teunis

Shadowland - Edge Of Night DVD
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Draco chimera

Oops, long time no update in this thread (and others, too!)

Sooo, I finished Terra Nova a few months ago. I must say it turned to be disappointing. Not unpleasant, but plots were a bit too simplistic, the characters were not all very consistent... We were told it was a high-budget series, and I don't doubt that. But even some (few, yes, but still!) of the CGI scenes were failed! Overall, it looked really good, but it is quite incredible to think that some of the images of such an expensive series can be failed. Of course, many paleontological aspects of the show are complete nonsense, but I expected that.  ;)
I heard Fox was trying to sell the show. I'm not opposed to a season 2, but they better get some serious scenarists to get the series back on solid feets.

I completely forgot to talk about Sherlock here. Was fan of the first season, and the second just proves incredibly good. Inventive, fast-paced, and respectful of Conan Doyle's works... Characters are very convincing, and we quickly like them. A must-watch, in my opinion.

Now, I was interested for some time in Primeval, as it involved time passages and dinosaurs. So I watched season one, and started season 2 today. I'm a bit confused, as it mixes good elements and in a second turns in complete chaos. There are some vey interesting leads, but the overall picture seems a bit... weak. I came to wonder if scenarists fell into profound coma at some moments (this is a spolier alert, although it's only about the pilot episode) (e.g., one of the very first thing the Home Office does upon the discovery of time anomalies is to send an investigation team into the past? Really? Have these people ever heard of the Butterfly effect?) or if they had smoked what was in their backyards (this spoiler alert is about season 1 finale) (the Home Office lets Helen Cutter go back through the anomaly without preventing her, asking her why anomalies happens, and everything she knows...?!. Also, I found that when the series tried humor (which happens relatively often), it's 50/50: either it works, either it looks a bit ridiculous.On the other hand, some plot twists are intelligent, and scenarists manage to make the situation evolve a bit episode from episode. I am really wondering where all this is going. If you don't take it too seriously, it is entertaining, but I would've liked something a bit more cohesive.
I've heard that a Canadian spin-off was on its way. It is said to be darker, more serious than the original show. That would be welcome. I'm very interested in paleontology (especially dinosaurs, eversince I was a kid), and the basic idea for the series is great. I hope they will be able to create a show that makes sense.
Let your conscience decide !

tired_of_dancing

As big Sherlock Holmes fan I enjoyed Sherlock too.
Sometimes I forget that he isn't real, but I remember reading his biography some years ago. :)
Looking forward to season 2, but its not broadcasted before May here in Germany.
We'll have three famous stories as background there. A Scandal in Bohemia, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The final problem.
I'm very curious about "The Woman" Irene Adler. Great character.

'I can do anything, I'm still the child.'

PH

Yes, I've seen both Sherlock series and enjoyed it very much. I like the cliffhanger at the end of series two. Makes me craving for the third series.

PH

Last week I've finally seen the Terminator movies. I grew up never watching these 'classic' Schwarzenegger films and people always told me that I missed something. "You need to see these movies before you die" and all that. Well, I've seen them. I enjoyed it. Still feel I could die happily even if I didn't see them, but it was nice either way. I like how the fourth movie is both a prequel and a sequel to the series.
Anyone else seen them? And what do you think of them?

Nicky007

Paxi, I'v watched parts. Ms 007 even tried to get me to watch the entire first part, but I tired after about 20 minutes of mayhem. Might have watched more at your age, just like I saw several James Bond movies thru, years ago. (Didnt take my name as a tribute to these.)  ;)

A movie that has really boggled my mind is The Man From Earth, which I'v now watched thrice thru. It can easily bear so many views  *horns*

Thanx again to Draco  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

@PH : I liked the first and the last but I don't consider them as unforgettable. Episodes 2 and 3 were a huge waste of money IMHO.

There are many better movies of this period in the scifi genre, even with Schwarzy. I had much more fun watching Predator, for instance, or even The 6th Day or Total Recall.

The last action movie that I really enjoyed -but be warned that it is very violent- is Kick-Ass. I had several laughters that I did not expect  :)

Nicky007

Another great movie that I watched recently (at the flicks) is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It's intriguing, complex, subtle, well played, and very English  *horns*

I'm now reading the book (by le CarrĂ©), slowly plowing thru (looking up words, for one), and it's fabulous  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Well the first (The Terminator) was alright. But it's more of a brainless action movie. Michael Biehn as Kyle Reese was nice, since I've only known him as Commander Michael McNeil in the video game "Tiberian Sun". The second movie was pretty funny and has the memorable lines like: "I'll be back" and "Hasta la vista, baby". It was actually full of funny quotes and moments. Just don't take it all too seriously and you have a great laugh.
The third (Rise Of The Machines) was the most forgettable in the franchise.
Terminator Salvation was nice in it's own right. But I feel it was taking itself too seriously. Still nice to watch though. I don't think this one would make much sense if you didn't see the previous movies.

Iggy

Real Madrid Vs Bayern Munich.

Manatee

Baseball!  This is not any of the sports referred to as "football."    ;)
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Draco chimera

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2012-04-25, 12:29:57
A movie that has really boggled my mind is The Man From Earth, which I'v now watched thrice thru. It can easily bear so many views  *horns*

Thanx again to Draco  :)

Nicky.

You are very welcome  ;D

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2012-04-25, 16:44:55
The last action movie that I really enjoyed -but be warned that it is very violent- is Kick-Ass. I had several laughters that I did not expect  :)

That movie has been on my "to-watch" list for months, friends of mine saw it and said it was fun. I think I'm going to give it priority on my list, since I get more and more positive feedbacks.  :)

I forgot to mention that I recently watched Matrix with friends (I have somehow managed to live through the 2000's as a teenager without watching it). Interesting concept, fast-paced interpretation, some good and some pretty ridiculous fight scenes, gigantic plot holes... rather fun overall, but I wouldn't watch it all over again too soon if I were given the chance.

tired_of_dancing

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2012-04-25, 22:16:19
Real Madrid Vs Bayern Munich.

Man, this was a match. And now for the Bayern the dream is true, playing the final match on homeground. :)
Would have watched Chelsea vs Barcelona too but this one was on pay TV only.
'I can do anything, I'm still the child.'

Teunis

Last DVD I watched was Toto - Live in Amsterdam, really exciting stuff 8).

maddox

I was watching Don't Say a Word, with the lovely Femke Jansen. ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Draco chimera

Watched The Blues Brothers on TV yesterday. I just love this movie  *horns*

I started season 4 of Primeval (yeah I know, I got there rather fast  ;D). This season starts in a much better way than the others in my opinion. More realistic context, character development, and a better balance small stories/big story.

Teunis

Watched the Pendragon DVD 'Past And Presence' last night. Although I prefer their latest stuff, I really enjoyed it  8).

maddox

Quote from: Draco chimera on Fri, 2012-05-18, 22:45:18
I started season 4 of Primeval (yeah I know, I got there rather fast  ;D). This season starts in a much better way than the others in my opinion. More realistic context, character development, and a better balance small stories/big story.

We have Primevil over here as well, on the SyFy channel.
Some episodes are pretty nice but overall I'm not really enjoying the series.
Don't know which episode they have over here though.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2012-05-19, 15:31:02
We have Primevil over here as well, on the SyFy channel.
Some episodes are pretty nice but overall I'm not really enjoying the series.
Don't know which episode they have over here though.

I've seen a couple of Primeval episodes. But to me, they're too much of the same stuff. Dinosaur of the week, that sort of thing.

Iggy

Quote from: tired_of_dancing on Thu, 2012-04-26, 21:06:06
Man, this was a match. And now for the Bayern the dream is true, playing the final match on homeground. :)
Would have watched Chelsea vs Barcelona too but this one was on pay TV only.

Bayern vs Chelsea last night.

I feel a bit sorry for Bayern on any other day they would have won easily. An astonishing finish the season.

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2012-05-19, 18:23:07
I've seen a couple of Primeval episodes. But to me, they're too much of the same stuff. Dinosaur of the week, that sort of thing.
Yeah, that was the main problem with the first three seasons in my opinion. It seems to me that season 4 has some longer story to tell, with more link between the episodes. At least, it looks this way (I just started this season, so I can't definetely tell yet). I wtahced the first three seasons partly because I always had interest in paleontology, and though this show is far from scientific, I wanted to see what they could come up with.

funkster

alvin and the chipmonks - chipwrecked on saturday with the boys and kate

And it was not too bad as it goes, in fact i enjoyed it  ???

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2012-05-20, 14:14:22
Bayern vs Chelsea last night.

I feel a bit sorry for Bayern on any other day they would have won easily. An astonishing finish the season.

I agree.
Bayern was a lot better than Chelsea, who's football I disapprove actually.
They deserved to win, and they had the chance...
Yet Robben chose the wrong corner.  :-\

Benfica was better, Barcelona was better, Bayern was better, yet the un-football that Chelsea played won.
Hopefully, next year will be better.