News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Hannover 11th October

Started by Datmaster, Tue, 2005-10-11, 13:16:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Datmaster

Hello from a new member. Let's hope that today's attendance at the Hannover Musikzentrum show will be a bit higher than in some of the previous shows. At least it isn't sold out (yet) since I bought my ticket just about an hour ago in my hometown Hamburg. This will be my first Arena concert (however I saw Kino as opener for Spock's Beard a couple of months ago, does this also count  ;) )  and I'm really looking forward to it. At least I think it will be a more comfortable concert than the Dream Theater concert in Hannover three days ago, and somehow I think it will also be slightly better  :D

JJ II

welcome Datmaster!

I'm sure you will enjoy the show. I think the atmosphere at Arena gigs is always very special....

Peter

yeah, have fun, and make sure not to forget pen and paper for writing down the setlist :)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Proglady

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-10-11, 16:08:36
yeah, have fun, and make sure not to forget pen and paper for writing down the setlist :)

:D

and welcome Datmaster!

Datmaster

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-10-11, 16:08:36

sorry, I only had a DAT recorder & microphone ;) I'm not a true Arena die-hard and don't know all their albums, so unless someone else is posting it I will need some assistance.

As for the show...it was excellent. Extremly good PA sound (I stood center stage in front of the FOH mix). They started a little bit late (9pm instead of 8.30pm) The "Musikzentrum" in Hannover is a small but cozy hall which has a bar one one side, and one could also stay upstairs.
I assume that there were no more than 120-150 people yesterday, still the hall looked relatively full (but a refreshing change if I think of the Dream Theater gig in Hannover three days ago, there it was so crowded that I could barely breathe).
Arena deserves a much bigger audience, the show is flawless, they are all masters on their instruments and the presentation incl. the video screen looks absolutely professional. The audience loved every minute, and I'm so glad that I made the right decision to drive to Hannover :)

josol08

I also saw the gig at hannover last night. From my point of view in total it was a good one, but I wouldn't say it was the best one I ever saw (seen them 5 times up to now I guess). The venue (MusikZentrum) was appropriate (not to big), sound was really good and the audience (I would also say appr. 150) fine (even not enthusiastic).

But I have to admit I had some problems with Rob Sowden outfit first. With his long blonde hair he looked a bit childish to me and reminded me of some german fairytale featuring "Frau Holle" all the time. But tastes are different, I know...

The one thing I was really wondering about was John Mitchell. I mean, there was nothing wrong with his guitar playing, he was brillant as ever and simply is a guitar god. And I also don't mean that he wore shoes this time ;-) But I had the impression that yesterday he didn't have the fun he had in former times. For a few occasions, some other memebers of the band tried to catch him with their good mood (especially Ian Salmon), but obivously it didn't really work. And I remember him different from former times, being full of energy and totally sweat after the gigs. Might there be some relationship to his other projects (Kino)? Is he a bit tired? Did he simply had a bad day before the gig? Or am I wrong and the only one with this impression?

Last thing: I would have loved to get "Salomon" as the final encore instead of "Jericho" (besides this setlist was the same as in former gigs I guess). But the gig lasted appr. 2 hours Salomon, so really no complaints about that. The setlist was a nice journey through ten years of arena containing most of my favourites (especially Chosen was brillant!)

So don't get me wrong. As I said it was a really good gig yesterday and I don't know too many things you can do within 2 hours having more fun and better music. So if you have a gig ahead and still considering: Go there and maybe you can share your (different) impressions here!

Peter

Quote from: josol08 on Wed, 2005-10-12, 11:01:09
But I have to admit I had some problems with Rob Sowden outfit first. With his long blonde hair he looked a bit childish to me and reminded me of some german fairytale featuring "Frau Holle" all the time. But tastes are different, I know...

So this statements outs you as one the guys who doesn't own a Pepper's Ghost album yet, right! Shame on you, look at the artwork and you'll know what the wig was for.

btw, I found the outfits quite cool!

josol08

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-10-12, 11:15:17
So this statements outs you as one the guys who doesn't own a Pepper's Ghost album yet, right! Shame on you, look at the artwork and you'll know what the wig was for.

btw, I found the outfits quite cool!

Wrong ;-))) I own Pepper's ghost and I know about the relationship to the tales and the artwork of Pepper's ghost (at least I have an impression). Instead of this I found it somehow childish. But as I said: tastes are different...

By the way: The video artwork related to the tracks of Pepper's ghost was absolutely brillant, no doubt about that!

TomSawYa

Mm interesting, Rob wore no wig in Augsburg, just the hat and a jacket for a few songs.
Changes arenĀ“t permanent - but change is !

Peter

Quote from: TomSawYa on Wed, 2005-10-12, 11:54:44
Mm interesting, Rob wore no wig in Augsburg, just the hat and a jacket for a few songs.

I think it's quite unconfortable to wear it on stage, because of the heat. He wore one in Pratteln, but not in Karlsruhe.

Spad

Quote from: josol08 on Wed, 2005-10-12, 11:01:09

[...]
Or am I wrong and the only one with this impression?
[...]

.... I also had this impression, even in the first leg of the tour, in April...... but I really can't imagine why.......  ??? Maybe it's just a bad period for him....
If this, I hope it will ends soon!  ;)
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Datmaster

Oh yes, I forgot to mention John. I so far saw him only once (with Kino when they were supporting Spock's Beard), but yesterday he was the total opposite and looked completely bored and most of the time he just stared at some imaginery spot (maybe it was the bar? ;-)  He definetely looked like someone who wished he would have been somewhere else. Maybe the low attendance spoiled his enthusiasm. But that obviously didn't affected his guitar playing, it was great as usual.

grizzly475

Hi Guys,
I was at the concert yesterday and it was amazing! My first-time-ARENA-experience, but definately not the last!
Has someone the complete, correct setlist?
Did anyone tape the show?
Greetings,
grizzly475
Greetings,
grizzly475

Datmaster

Here's the setlist, but there's one track which I could not identify. Some of the lyrics go like this (it was played right behind "The hanging tree")
"vengeance lies behind these eyes"
"as the fallen angels follow me"
"you never truly know the kind of place I'm coming from"
HELP appreciated :-)

the setlist goes like this:

William Tell ouverture
Bedlam Fayre
A crack in the ice
Midas vision
The hanging tree
????
Breathe
Smoke and mirrors
Purgatory Road
Witch hunt
Waiting for the flood
Medusa
Serenity
The shattered room
City of lanterns
Chosen
Skin game
Enemy without
Friday's dream
Crying for help VII
Jericho

the show lasted for approx. 2.10 hours.

A BIG THANK YOU to Arena for doing a tour, I guess it's very stressful (both physically and mentally) and I really appreciate it :)

grizzly475

The Song that's missing in your setlist is A STATE OF GRACE, I think.
Greetings,
grizzly475

Spad

Quote from: Datmaster on Wed, 2005-10-12, 17:43:47
Here's the setlist, but there's one track which I could not identify. Some of the lyrics go like this (it was played right behind "The hanging tree")
"vengeance lies behind these eyes"
"as the fallen angels follow me"
"you never truly know the kind of place I'm coming from"
HELP appreciated :-)

the setlist goes like this:

William Tell ouverture
Bedlam Fayre
A crack in the ice
Midas vision
The hanging tree
????
Breathe
Smoke and mirrors
Purgatory Road
Witch hunt
Waiting for the flood
Medusa
Serenity
The shattered room
City of lanterns
Chosen
Skin game
Enemy without
Friday's dream
Crying for help VII
Jericho

the show lasted for approx. 2.10 hours.

A BIG THANK YOU to Arena for doing a tour, I guess it's very stressful (both physically and mentally) and I really appreciate it :)

.... mmmmhhhh  ???  ??? City Of Lanterns without Riding The Tide ???  ???

Have you forgot it or have they really not played it???

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Spad on Thu, 2005-10-13, 14:20:53
.... mmmmhhhh ??? ??? City Of Lanterns without Riding The Tide ??? ???

Have you forgot it or have they really not played it???

That's just what I thought... Funny, that. :D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Datmaster

ok, here's the final setlist:

William Tell ouverture
Bedlam Fayre
A crack in the ice
Midas vision
The hanging tree
State of grace
Breathe
Smoke and mirrors
Purgatory Road
Witch hunt
Waiting for the flood
Medusa
Serenity
The shattered room
City of lanterns
Riding the tide
Chosen
Skin game
Enemy without
Jericho

Spad

Quote from: Datmaster on Thu, 2005-10-13, 21:55:13
[...]
City of lanterns
Riding the tide
[...]

... ok... now it's better!!  ;D There's no Arena concert (since Contagion) without Riding The Tide!!!!!! :D
What a great track Clive!!!!  *ola*