News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

I-Pod players

Started by Xanxtuary, Fri, 2005-08-26, 22:31:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanxtuary

I've been wondering for a while whether to get an I-Pod player.  I already have two other MP3 players, one is quite old-tech now but even the newer one only has a very small capacity.  I bought it because it's compact and was cheap at the time.  The I-Pod is well within my price range, but I just wanted to know:

How easy is it to transfer MP3s from PC to I-Pod?

Can you drag a whole album file folder in there or do you still have to drag each track?

How user-friendly is it to scroll down track listing, etc?

Thanx
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Peter

My sister has an Ipod, and PC-Ipod interaction gets a -4 out of 10 from me. I'm quite a computer freak, but this is a hassle.

I can recommend the creative jukebox players, I have a Zen Xtra with 30GB drive, and it's cool. You need to install an application and a driver, attach the player and dragndrop music in there. If the music is correctly tagged it will display nicely ordered on the zen. They're a lot cheaper, too...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Clive

Actually I think I-Pods rule!!  :) I would be without mine on tour... as is the case for most of the other band members in fact (there was an I-Pod frenzy when we were in the USA).... as far as I'm concerned they are easy to use and reliable..... as indeed all things Apple!  :)
If I could find an excuse, I'd have two  ;)

Xanxtuary

Oh dear ... Xanxa is all confused now!  ??? ???

I was looking at the Creative ones as well, they also look very good and I have used Creative products before.  Yet the Clivemeister loves his I-Pod!

Still the thing that would win me over would be the user-friendliness and the ability to drag and drop.

I will ponder at least til after payday!  Thanks anyway!

Proglady

I bought one for my son and he is very happy with it. He also told me that it is very easy to use it.

Peter

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sat, 2005-08-27, 22:32:03Yet the Clivemeister loves his I-Pod!

Yes, co he most probably attaches it to an Apple computer....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Xanxtuary

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2005-08-28, 09:12:13
Yes, co he most probably attaches it to an Apple computer....

OK well since I have a PC not a Mac, I guess that's made my decision.  Sorry Clivester, please don't feel too hurt but I think I will go the Creative route ... nothing to do with you but limited by my beloved computer. 

For info, my very old MP3 player is a Samsung Yepp and it's not compatible with Windows XP, although it still connects nicely to my old Windows 98 machine, but that's in storage.  My newer one is a BenQ and it's lovely and shiny and silver and very tiny, when I first got it my mum looked at it in bewilderment and said "Does that thing really play music?"  She was astonished when I demonstrated.

So I will most likely treat myself to a Creative shiny silver MP3 player with capacity to put whole Arena, Pendragon, etc, albums on ... for listening on my ten minute bus journey to work!  8)

Proglady

:o

The I-Pod works also with windows very well and easy.

Xanxtuary

Pity I can't take them both home with me and try them out!  That would be the best way around the problem, although I suppose I can buy one and take it back to the shop after a day or so if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for the info and help everyone.  I will let you know in due course when I've made a purchase!

Xanxtuary

The choice has been made ... the plastic has been wielded.

Clive I didn't get an I-Pod, although a friend at work has one in girlie pink!

I ended up with a Creative Zen Micro 6GB player ... now I'm trying to learn how to use it!  It loads really quickly and at first I put tons of stuff on there just because I could.  Now I've got to delete it all because it wasn't indexed and tagged properly!  Sigh!

FYI ... I don't get my MP3s as peer to peer downloads, they are all from my own CD collection properly bought and paid for.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Tue, 2005-09-06, 19:38:13
The choice has been made ... the plastic has been wielded.

Clive I didn't get an I-Pod, although a friend at work has one in girlie pink!

I ended up with a Creative Zen Micro 6GB player ... now I'm trying to learn how to use it!  It loads really quickly and at first I put tons of stuff on there just because I could.  Now I've got to delete it all because it wasn't indexed and tagged properly!  Sigh!

FYI ... I don't get my MP3s as peer to peer downloads, they are all from my own CD collection properly bought and paid for.

Perhaps there is some information... a pamphlet, if you will...

It'll have a few things on the fromt of it... one word hovever will either be "Instructions" or "manual"...

It may contain some valuable information... :P ;) ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Moonloop

I say bring back 78's and wax cylinders  ;)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Xanxtuary

I've discovered the part where you can tag the music so it goes neatly into albums.  So now I can play a proper album in its correct order.

Friend at work has a girlie pink I-Pod though!

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-09-07, 16:09:58
I say bring back 78's and wax cylinders  ;)

That would be interesting!

Most people are so reliant on new technology (iPod, CD, Minidisc, etc) that they probably wouldn't know what to do with a wax cylinder!

As for 78's, they'd probably like the shape, order loads, and tile their roof with them or something! :D

ironcow2103

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Tue, 2005-09-06, 19:38:13

Index? Tag??!

See if you'd bought an iPod and a iMac you just stick the Cd in and press on little button and it does it all for you...

When will the world see the light? Macs - like Prog really, only the enlightened few understand!  ;)

Steve

gelert

Alternatively, burn straight from the CD to the MP3-player...

HHB CDR 850, via MIDIMAN converter set to xyz bandwidth, and cut out the middle-man....

Me...well no time to download to MP3...
...so whilst in Germany in February, after 10 hours of intense factory automation problems (and successes!),  I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Salted Poltergeist in my hotel room on Sennheiser Ovations (HD565), whilst decyphering the lyrics and comic-strip from the CD booklet, er, whilst watching the locals from the window, struggling home in the market square, through the local blizzard, whilst drinking Bitburger...(me Bitburger, not them...!)

So, I'll stick to carrying discs...c/w the artwork...

But each to his own...

Follow Me To Salzburg, anyone...?

Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Moonloop

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-09-07, 20:53:36
As for 78's, they'd probably like the shape, order loads, and tile their roof with them or something! :D

LOL..!! That's not a bad idea actually  :D

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-09-08, 00:41:20

Follow Me To Salzburg, anyone...?

Why, is it your round..??  ;D

Xanxtuary

Quote from: ironcow2103 on Thu, 2005-09-08, 00:01:26
Index? Tag??!

See if you'd bought an iPod and a iMac you just stick the Cd in and press on little button and it does it all for you...

When will the world see the light? Macs - like Prog really, only the enlightened few understand!  ;)

Steve

Well thanx Steve ... but now I've found that there's a CD ripper with the software that lets me tag the stuff before it gets ripped.  Just didn't notice that at first!

creme anglais

ok............so tomorrow I get my new i-pod.................(shrieks in a girlish way!!!)
I am not sure that I would have gone out and bought one, but (shrieks once more!) I won one through a work promotion.
Having read all this tho I seem to be mighty confused!
Will it be easy to transfer my files from my trusty pc onto my shiny new i-pod? or tomorrow night, will I be posting here shrieking in absoloute frustration???

tips that are understandable to a girly please!!!

Cheers! cax

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: creme anglais on Thu, 2005-09-08, 21:29:26

Cheers! cax

Enjoy it. ;D

Xanxtuary

Quote from: creme anglais on Thu, 2005-09-08, 21:29:26
ok............so tomorrow I get my new i-pod.................(shrieks in a girlish way!!!)
I am not sure that I would have gone out and bought one, but (shrieks once more!) I won one through a work promotion.
Having read all this tho I seem to be mighty confused!
Will it be easy to transfer my files from my trusty pc onto my shiny new i-pod? or tomorrow night, will I be posting here shrieking in absoloute frustration???

Cheers! cax

Is it pink?  Is it fluffy?   8)

Have you got a Mac??  Never mind if you haven't, I'm sure the Clivemeister will let you hook up to his to transfer your music! 

I'm loving my Creative Zen player, though because my journey to work is so short (10 mins on bus and a quick walk) I don't even get to listen to whole albums.  It takes about 3 trips to listen to an album!  But the sound quality is excellent, hardly any difference from a proper CD.  I'm sure the I-Pod will be just as good.