News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Urbane - Straylight

Started by The Butterfly Man, Mon, 2006-01-02, 11:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

On www.theurbane.com there are soundclips from The Urbane's new album 'Straylight'! Go check them out!

They also opened a myspace-account on http://www.myspace.com/theurbane where you can listen to some tracks from their last album 'Glitter'.

Have fun!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

The Butterfly Man

Wow, I knew there wasn't much interest for The Urbane in the general media, but I didn't expect no reactions after 100 views on the Arena-forum!

Appelmoes??

You just said: "Check them out" not, "Let me hear what you think of them" :P

I'll give it a listen, and give my comment ok?
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Appelmoes??

It sounds ok, I like it, eventhough it's not prog ;)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2006-01-16, 19:29:13
You just said: "Check them out" not, "Let me hear what you think of them" :P

Hey, that's why this place is called a discussion forum! :P

PH

I liked The Urbane's first album 'Neon' so much that I want to buy it, but I haven't done that...

But I don't care, I think I'll buy them all three! ;D You know what? I'll buy Solar's album too.
My salary was in my advantage last month anyway!

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2006-01-16, 20:15:14
I liked The Urbane's first album 'Neon' so much that I want to buy it, but I haven't done that...

Shame on you!!!

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2006-01-16, 20:15:14
But I don't care, I think I'll buy them all three! ;D You know what? I'll buy Solar's album too.
My salary was in my advantage last month anyway!

Ah, now we're talking! :D

PH

And there's light at the end of the tunnel once again!

I quote Paddy Darlington:

Quote from: Paddy (in Japan ;) )Hi Anyone :-)

Just to say that JM and I have confirmed some extended studio time in Outhouse studio 2 during late December to finish the writing and tracking of the final half for "Straylight" :-)

Then in early Jan we'll get Scooby to record Drums (and I hope some backing vox too)...

then it's post production - I'll be spaming my new Korg Oasys all over the Triton stuff I've got already :-)))) ...

... and then its all over to Mr Jem Godfrey to sort out the mess and splatter some sense over proceedings :-)

~ Paddy

:o :o :o
8) 8) 8)
;D ;D ;D

The Butterfly Man

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

;D

Almost a year has passed without any news on the progress of the new Urbane-album whatsoever. Too bad, because I am (or should I say was?) really looking forward to it. It also seems that their website isn't working anymore... :-\ But on the other side, JM has been quite busy this year with It Bites and of course Frost* so maybe next year he has some spare time (I wouldn't count on it though! ;)).

Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Tom

PH

Yes, I was also planning to come back to this topic, but now it seems you already did.

I'm REALLY disappointed. This album was planned for a 2006 release if I'm not mistaken.
Everything John Mitchell touches turns into gold, so I am (still!) really interested in this release by The Urbane.

The fact that their website isn't working could mean that something terrible is happening... Or it could mean that a new and much better website is on its way...

-Paco

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2008-11-10, 15:30:14
I'm REALLY disappointed. This album was planned for a 2006 release if I'm not mistaken.

Indeed. But I think you know The Urbane is 'just' a hobby-project of JM and maybe he's just too busy these days. Good for him but really bad for us! ;D

A couple of years ago I heard an online radiobroadcast where JM was guesting. They played a couple of Straylight-demos which I managed to record so at least I can hear something from it, albeit not at the best quality. Oh well...

Tom

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-11-13, 08:22:12
Indeed. But I think you know The Urbane is 'just' a hobby-project of JM and maybe he's just too busy these days. Good for him but really bad for us! ;D

A couple of years ago I heard an online radiobroadcast where JM was guesting. They played a couple of Straylight-demos which I managed to record so at least I can hear something from it, albeit not at the best quality. Oh well...

Tom

Yes, I also heard a song "Plastic" and I think I heard another one. Sounded really brilliant if you ask me.

Hurry up John! :)

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2008-11-13, 15:24:36
Yes, I also heard a song "Plastic" and I think I heard another one. Sounded really brilliant if you ask me.

Yeah, there's a preview of that song on their MySpace. Sounds great indeed! The songs I heard (and recorded hehe) are called 'Grace' and 'Keep The Toys'. Maybe, if you're interested, I can try to send them over to you?

Tom

The Butterfly Man

Uh oh......I was just surfing the net when I stumbled upon JM's MySpace-page. What I read there was quite a shock. Let's quote this:

Quote from: John Mitchell
I'm a right moody f**ker who plays guitar/bass/sings in to following bands:- Arena (whenever we can be ars*d) Frost* It Bites And HAVE played guitar/bass/sang for:- Gash John Wetton/Geoff Downes 'Icon' Kino The Urbane.

In other words, I think The Urbane is dead. :-[

Tom

PH

Hmm.... :( Looks like it... :'(
But what about the extended studio time Paddy mentioned a while ago? Whatever came out of that then? Hmm?

It can't be over like that... :'(

maddox

Funny thing is that i never heard anything from The Urbane.

Do i miss much?
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2008-12-16, 18:47:21
Funny thing is that i never heard anything from The Urbane.

Do i miss much?

If you only like prog and nothing but prog you probably won't like it. But the best thing is to listen to some songs and then make up your mind.

http://www.myspace.com/theurbane

Tom

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-12-16, 19:50:04
If you only like prog and nothing but prog 

Oh, you mean 'The prog, the whole prog and nothing like the prog'?

;D

Thanks for the link. Will listen to some snippets in a bit.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

The Urbane is a must have for a John Mitchell enthusiast.

Nicky007

NP  The Urbane on MySpace

Sounds rather bland to me, and indistinguishable from so many other radio bands. I really don't understand what John Mitchell is doing there.

Much rather have him in Arena.

But I guess that the Arena guys are having a hard time getting their act together, quite literally, so the guys go other places. Hm  :(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-12-16, 22:28:26
Sounds rather bland to me, and indistinguishable from so many other radio bands. I really don't understand what John Mitchell is doing there.

Well, The Urbane is/was just a hobby of John Mitchell...And if he likes the music himself, why shouldn't he do it?

Nicky007

That's an acceptable explanation to me, Tom. And if listening to The Urbane can lead people to Arena, even better.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

There are a few tracks there that are really worth to be mentioned.
Aeroplanes and Immaculate come to mind. And there are more.

It's really a shame if The Urbane stops...

bellanova

Yes Immaculate is an excellent song and also love The Tide. OK its not prog but i tend to like everything John does. He has a really good voice and his guitar work is always something special. The Urbane is just another string to his bow and shows his versaitility. I think its a must if you havent heard his solo stuff. Glitter is also a good album too with some quirty tracks on it.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: bellanova on Wed, 2008-12-17, 17:17:22
Glitter is also a good album too with some quirty tracks on it.

Yes I like Glitter a lot! Especially tracks like Beautiful Sun, Glitter, Cut The Wire, Suffocate and Manhattan. And all the rest of course! :D

Tom