News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Fabchannel has stopped...

Started by PH, Wed, 2009-03-18, 00:08:15

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Yeah guys... Fabchannel, the service that brought concerts right into your living room, has stopped.
On 13th of March it was R.I.P.
I'm sure some of you have heard of it. I've seen Tom mentioning the website at least twice.
It's a shame that they had to stop... It all has to do with the tunnelvision of the narrowminded record labels.
Here, read this: http://www.fabchannel.com/

I ask you, who's right? The record labels? Or (in this case) Fabchannel?
And what alternative is there to bring small and unknown bands to the listener? How can a problem like this be solved?
And the internet, is it a threat or a blessing?
And what about the commercial side of music? Is music money making business?

Some loose ideas. You can bring in new ideas and points of view of course.
I'm interested in what this topic brings up.

Discuss!

-Paco

maddox

Sad....i guess.

But i never even knew it existed.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

I didnt either. So I don't have any view on this matter.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Ok, but you can have an opinion about the issues without knowing of Fabchannel.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2009-03-18, 00:38:34
Ok, but you can have an opinion about the issues without knowing of Fabchannel.

Yes, agreed.

Will think about it after a good night of sleep.  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2009-03-18, 00:08:15
Yeah guys... Fabchannel, the service that brought concerts right into your living room, has stopped.
On 13th of March it was R.I.P.
I'm sure some of you have heard of it. I've seen Tom mentioning the website at least twice.
It's a shame that they had to stop... It all has to do with the tunnelvision of the narrowminded record labels.
Here, read this: http://www.fabchannel.com/

Yeah I know...Last thursday I spend the complete evening on www.fabchannel.com, watching concerts because it was the last time I would be able to do so... :'(

I truly loved that site. Sometimes I just went to visit Fabchannel and browsed through their pretty extensive archive, looking for new music. This way I discovered Elbow for instance. And because I liked the concert so much I actually bought some of their cd's. Now I won't be able to discover new music this way again, so in the end it really is the record labels' loss... :-\ Sure, there are other ways to discover new music, like MySpace, but I had so much fun this way! Plus, by watching a concert (with good audio/video quality, far superior to your average Youtube-video), you get a better view on a bands' back catalog and capability of reproducing their work in a live-environment. To me, these are quite important criteria when 'spending' money on an artist (or should I say recordlabel?).

Sure, I know the music-industry is in a bit of a crisis with the decline of album-sales and people downloading stuff illegally, but still...I think a service like Fabchannel is a great promotion-tool for music. By doing this the way they do (did) they only encourage people to buy music. But I guess it doesn't work this way (at least the labels seem to think so...). I think downloading music for free is something you just cannot stop, no matter how hard you try. So it seems to me that every single person who actually buys an album is a good thing these days. If you can reach these people through services like Fabchannel, what's the problem then? ???

>:(

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

johninblack

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-03-18, 11:18:18
Yeah I know...Last thursday I spend the complete evening on www.fabchannel.com, watching concerts because it was the last time I would be able to do so... :'(

I truly loved that site. Sometimes I just went to visit Fabchannel and browsed through their pretty extensive archive, looking for new music. This way I discovered Elbow for instance. And because I liked the concert so much I actually bought some of their cd's. Now I won't be able to discover new music this way again, so in the end it really is the record labels' loss... :-\ Sure, there are other ways to discover new music, like MySpace, but I had so much fun this way! Plus, by watching a concert (with good audio/video quality, far superior to your average Youtube-video), you get a better view on a bands' back catalog and capability of reproducing their work in a live-environment. To me, these are quite important criteria when 'spending' money on an artist (or should I say recordlabel?).

Sure, I know the music-industry is in a bit of a crisis with the decline of album-sales and people downloading stuff illegally, but still...I think a service like Fabchannel is a great promotion-tool for music. By doing this the way they do (did) they only encourage people to buy music. But I guess it doesn't work this way (at least the labels seem to think so...). I think downloading music for free is something you just cannot stop, no matter how hard you try. So it seems to me that every single person who actually buys an album is a good thing these days. If you can reach these people through services like Fabchannel, what's the problem then? ???

>:(

Tom

OK then Tom. If Fabchannel had announced that the only way for the service to continue would be on a subscription only basis how much would you be prepared to pay?

I found Fabcnannel a couple of months ago and since then watched several shows. The audio and video for all the shows I saw were superb. A most impressive service.
For the record I would not subscribe simply as we can barely afford the standard of living we have. Shame that. If money were not an issue I would happily part with £10 ($14.49, €10.62) A month for unlimited streaming.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2009-03-18, 00:29:13
Sad....i guess.

But i never even knew it existed.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Neither did I...

Which means we missed it...

*Sigh* :-[
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt