News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Immortal?

Started by Peter, Thu, 2005-02-03, 22:29:10

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2005-07-02, 01:04:35
Of course, "The butterfly man" and "Ghost in the firewall" are songs that nothing can be compared to.

The two big synth sweeps in "Ghost In The Firewall" are pretty damn good! ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

creme anglais

well I must say that Immortal? is still my fav arena album..........I sing SOloudly along with this!

(obviously when no one is listening...............my singing is criminal!!!)

CAx

gelert

I've sung with some of the greatest...

Freddie Mercury, Tom Jones, Ronnie James Dio, Roger Daltrey, etc...

Mind you, I was in the bath and they were on the radio at the time.

;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

erik

Immortal? consists of great individual songs (excluding Climbing The Net, refer to thread least favourite Arena track), but as an album it just isn't very cohesive somehow. Probably also suffers from the "post-Visitor-effect". Do love the heavier sound and the production is great.

I'm not ecstatic about Moviedrome by the way, it has great sections but as a whole doesn't really do it for me (which applies to more of the modern epics such as Marillion's This Strange Engine or Dream Theater's Octavarium). Chosen is probably my favourite.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

marcello

The Buttefly man is my favorite song on the Immortal? album. Arenas Dark lyrics are really inspiring
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

JJ II

I agree with Erik and to me Chosen and Butterfly Man are great crowdpleasers live as well. Though I'd love to see that acoustic version of Waiting for the Flood return.
As a whole I think the album is a bit 'slow'. Up till Climbing (not my favourite either) it has a steady pace, that's not very fast. Very Floydie so to say.

Emilia

My favourite one on Immortal? is Moviedrome. I find this album darker, harder and more aggressive than the previous ones (which really suits my taste, I was hoping they would follow that line...) though "Friday's Dream" is a really lovely ballad which I tend to re-play on my CD  ;) over and over again when I get into a ballad mood.
The cover design was a bit surprising as for a prog band. I thought rather more suitable for some industrial or alternative metal band  ;) But really gets the climate of the album. Reminds me a bit of "Clockwork Orange" atmosphere - rotten 20th century word.
E.
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Deenfan

Interesting that you should mention it. Industrial, I mean. I have no patience for that type of music, but I'm happy that others do, 'cause Clive, for instance, can take what little is good about it and make use of it in a stylish way. The last few Arena albums has had that slight touch of something "new" to it here and there, without dissolving into noise. Noise, as you may well know, is unpleasant. ;D

Emilia

Quote from: Deenfan on Sun, 2005-08-14, 23:47:12
Interesting that you should mention it. Industrial, I mean. I have no patience for that type of music, but I'm happy that others do, 'cause Clive, for instance, can take what little is good about it and make use of it in a stylish way. The last few Arena albums has had that slight touch of something "new" to it here and there, without dissolving into noise. Noise, as you may well know, is unpleasant. ;D
me neither, a bunch of my friends are totally crazy for Rammstein, Tool and such....but I do not really get the point of this music... my wits are too small ... I guess  :)
As for Arena I always expect something new out of each release, and I do not mind their experimenting at all, in fact I'm for more "heavy" Arena sound and would appreciate more of it. I am really curious how they sound live (someone here earlier asked the band If they got more metal-like because he heard someone saying they did) - I never thought of Arena as metal music ;D but would not mind them being heavy at the concerts (which by the way I'm not gonna see this year as I wrote somewhere before, alas..)
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

CygnusX1

Despite a slight temptation to rename it "Climbing up the Market Square" ( ;D), I really love "Climbing the Net" - it's one of the highlights of the album for me.  Also love "Waiting for the Flood" - Clive's keyboard solo in this is great, relatively simple but effective.

Wiebe

Hey Peter,

It sounds familiair. I lived and worked in Brussels for 5 years and during travelling time to work I listened a lot to Arena.
Especially "Solomon", "Crying for Help IV" and all the Visitor songs spinned loads of rounds in my walkman (now discman). During Solomon I went almost jumping through the streets and shopping centers, must have been a strange thing to see for other people that didn't hear my music.
There music also helped me through difficult times (problems at work, problems with women ;D)

Take care,
Wiebe

Saryna

I know the feeling!  This past spring I bought my new car to the "Pepper's Ghost" album.  It was always in my car at the time, playing in my head in the background to all the deals that had to be made.  Now it's known as the Pepper's Ghost car with the cd always in it ready to play if needed.  A cayenne red, Subaru 2005.  :-*   Yes, who knows what people thought as the music bled through the windows.  Who cares. ;)

Oh yeah, I definately like Arena with the metal edge as well.

funkster

Immortal ? arrived on the doorstep tonight and i am enjoying it a lot  :) A few more spins and  am sure it will be amazing

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: CygnusX1 on Thu, 2005-08-25, 17:35:05
Also love "Waiting for the Flood" - Clive's keyboard solo in this is great, relatively simple but effective.
Agreed, the Mellotron flutes at the end are blissful as well!
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

funkster

After 4 or 5 spins this album is really starting to impress me.

Pepper's Ghost has been on major play on the Funkster decks of death for a few weeks now so Immortal ? had a lot to live up to. And it has.

Once again there are some amazingly good musical passages and the packaging is ace.

Arena have now overtaken Pallas in my neo prog loves and are hot on the heels of IQ  :)

Apologies for the vast majority here who already know how brilliant this album is  :-[but i am a newbie 

Peter

You're welcome, funkster, absolutely. Nice to see someone getting so into it :D
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Quote from: funkster on Sun, 2006-02-19, 15:42:58Apologies for the vast majority here who already know how brilliant this album is  :-[ but i am a newbie

It's always nice to hear someone's story.

willowroolz

I listened to Immortal ? for the very first time on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The intro to Moviedrome, that wonderful almost (as someone else mentioned above) cinematic theme, lulled me. I was sitting there at about midnight, lights down low, headphones on and volume up. When the rest of the band kicked in it startled me so much I nearly hit the ceiling  :D :D

funkster

Quote from: willowroolz on Mon, 2006-03-20, 11:31:08
I listened to Immortal ? for the very first time on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The intro to Moviedrome, that wonderful almost (as someone else mentioned above) cinematic theme, lulled me. I was sitting there at about midnight, lights down low, headphones on and volume up. When the rest of the band kicked in it startled me so much I nearly hit the ceiling  :D :D

Fancy seeing you here  ;)

Immortal ?is very very good even the Market Square heroes homage that is climbing the net.

In fact i have now taken Ghost reveries off and put Immortal ? on ahain

All your fault Will  :)

willowroolz

Quote from: funkster on Mon, 2006-03-20, 15:43:13
In fact i have now taken Ghost reveries off and put Immortal ? on ahain

All your fault Will  :)
That's just bizarre - I was listening to Ghost Reveries on Saturday night - then I took it off and put Immortal ? on  :D

Don't I know you from somewhere Mr F?  :D ;)

h9

Hi everybody
This is my very first post to this forum.  ;D
Talking about this album, i have a different version and a different approach to enjoy it.
Actually i am a huge fan of Progressive metal band such as dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, and Pain of Salvation.
The Visitor is my first Arena album. I love some of the single but still feel 'lessen'. The duration is too short and it makes me stuck. ;D
So, I jump to another Arena's album that contains an epic song. So, i found 'Moviedrome' and 'sirens' as my favorite song.
Although i love that song, i still can't enjoy the whole album. 
After several months, there are some albums of IQ that blew me away.
I really enjoy their music, that could blend Metal and symphonic cohesive-ly.
And then i've been introduced by another neo band, Pendragon.
And I see that one of the brain of this band is Mr. Clive Nolan.
After my ear could accept the style of Nolan's keys after spin the Pendragon album more and more I back to Arena's album.
Finally, i feel differ feel when spin "Immortal?: album.
They start with a 'metal sense' style 'Chosen'. And then a contradiction style, in ballad way "waiting for the flood".
And then there is one of their peak 'creature', name 'The Butterfly Man'. This song really makes me happy and 'proud'.
Another songs that contain special mood is Climbing the net. Clive really could makes a special sound in the opener of this song.
The atmosphere really remind me to Pendragon song 'not of this world pt 1'.
Moviedrome still peak the Top Chart of my favorite neo songs.
So as a conclusion, Immortal? is really good stuff that created by a very solid band.
Departure of  Paul Wrightson and John Jowitt, can be replaced by outstanding work from Mr. Sowden (that for my ear is reminiscent of Mr. Wrightsonl  :D ) and Ian Salmon (his work in 'The Butterfly Man' is really rockin my ear).

Deenfan

Well, you've done it. I have to put this one on again now...

The Butterfly Man

This thread inspired me to play Immortal? again. All I can say is wow. It's as if I've never heard it before. It still sounds fresh, even after eight years. I really like Rob's voice on this one. And Moviedrome is such an epic track.

I really should listen to this album more often!  *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

h9

And for these recent days, i'am still concentrating on 'The butterfly Man'. Bass line in the middle song is really nice and being one of memorable Arena's solo.

Nicky007

Tom, have you heard the song The Butterfly Man on Immortal? ? ;D

That was an Appy special, but quite standard this time  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me