News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Moon Safari

Started by PH, Fri, 2014-09-19, 11:48:55

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Tsk tsk tsk.... this band doesn't have its own topic yet.

Moon Safari is a Swedish band (aren't they all?)

In 2005 they released their debut album "A Doorway To Summer" and they were hailed and praised as the new Flower Kings. Indeed they have the same vision as the blossomy royals: love and peace and happiness and sunshine and oooohh and aaaahh and yeeeeyyyy wooohooo!
At first it was too much happiness for me. "Too much happy in your prog can't be good" I thought and turned away to the dark and melancholy of Arena and IQ and Porcupine Tree, etc.
So I missed their next few albums after having listened only once (I think) to their debut.

[ Eight years of ignorance ]

Well, in 2013 they released their fourth album "Himlabacken, Vol. I" and because of very high ratings and rave reviews I decided to give Moon Safari another chance. Besides, I was now accustomed to happiness because of A.C.T (another excellent band from Sweden).
I was overwhelmed in an overwhelming way! What a very fine album this is! It is extremely catchy with wonderful melodies but it also has complex musical parts not much unlike Dream Theater. And harmony vocals...
Yes, it is happy, very happy. But these guys are so good.

So naturally I had to buy their complete back catalogue, including their debut.
And I liked it. Still I think what's coming after their debut album is a lot better.

Their second album was released in 2008 and is called "Blomljud". It's a double album. I mean, every Prog band needs a double album right? Even Arena has one now. And Ayreon has err... a lot of them. So double album is prog. And "Blomljud" is also a very proggy album. There were quite a few times that I thought: "Hej, it's Yes!" ('hej' is Swedish for 'hey').

Then in 2010 "Lover's End" was next. Actually, I have yet to discover most of this album, since I have been such a fan of "Himlabacken" and "Blomljud". There was no time for a new favourite.

Some think "Blomljud" is their best, others choose "Lover's End".
I think "Himlabacken, Vol. I" is their best, but this might also be because it made me a fan.
I say bring on "Vol. II"!
They are writing again, right?

You should really check out Moon Safari if you like the following bands:
- The Flower Kings
- A.C.T
- Genesis
- Dream Theater
- Yes
- Spock's Beard

Teunis

Also dig 'Himlabacken Vol. 1', which is the only album I know from them. I'll definitely check out their back catalogue.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)