News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Boys & Girls...............

Started by creme anglais, Thu, 2005-09-15, 21:13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Wider than your nose is long....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

It's only what I believe.... don't know if it's correct....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

maddox

Quote from: Peter on Sat, 2005-10-01, 20:50:52
It's only what I believe.... don't know if it's correct....

Kinda had the same problem a minute ago  ;D

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Vanderwoude

I've had a girlfriend for just over two months, but we broke up because she wanted time for herself, so she could do wat she liked. I think that's really selfish. I think that people who are thinking a lot about life etc. are less selfish than other people. After my relationship I realised that I don't know very much people who are thinking in the same way as I do. But I think here's the place to be to meet nice people  ;). I'm also enjoying figuring out the Arena lyrics, Clive did a good job, writing them
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

Xanxtuary

All good points and I particularly like Vanderwoude's bit about "listening to music is like recharging yourself".  Brilliant!  If people took more time to do that, there might be less violence and misunderstanding on this planet.

I think another point to be made is that a lot of women tend to feel guilty if they take time out to just enjoy themselves, they believe that they ought to be looking after their men or their children, doing housework, etc, and therefore, if they have music on it does tend to be in the background, rather than taking time out just to listen, without doing anything else.  It's a whole way of life that has evolved through many generations, and even nowadays with relative equality between men and women, women still carry the guilt factor that they must look after everyone else before taking care of themselves.

So with all that going on in their heads, it's little wonder that women don't sit or lay down listening to complex prog albums and pondering the meanings of the esoteric lyrics, letting the haunting melodies creep up and transport them to another state of consciousness. 

I on the other hand have no such guilt and gladly indulge in lots of prog listening!  As do the other women on these forums, which is a good thing!

Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

creme anglais

PH wrote..........
"Generally Progrock is something for intellectuals.
(Don't flame me for that)
"

again I say is it not weird then that more men than women seem to like prog????

don't worry I am not flaming.............I am laffin me sox off ;D :D ;D

CAx ;)

Saryna

Intellectuals?  Ah but it's the progrockers who say that of course! :D

Women like prog.  It's just a matter of opportunity right now and where to find it.  There was a time when prog was very popular and lots of woman were always at the gigs.  It wasn't as hard to find as it is right now. 

I'm laffin too dude!

Every young generation believes they are more individualistic than the last.  Each are more individualistic than their previous generation in one way shape or form.  One would hope and think things are getting better and more evolved.  But in this case  its really a matter of opportunity and where to find it.  As we all know prog is not on a banner in Times Square.  You have to look for it fortunately and unfortunately.

Vanderwoude

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sat, 2005-10-01, 22:23:11
I think another point to be made is that a lot of women tend to feel guilty if they take time out to just enjoy themselves, they believe that they ought to be looking after their men or their children, doing housework, etc, and therefore, if they have music on it does tend to be in the background, rather than taking time out just to listen, without doing anything else.  It's a whole way of life that has evolved through many generations, and even nowadays with relative equality between men and women, women still carry the guilt factor that they must look after everyone else before taking care of themselves.

This is an interesting vision. I think many mature women are thinking like this today. But I'm 'just' 17 years old, and I think my generation is more individual than older ones. I'm hoping that it has to with the fact that not everybody I know has grown up yet. But I fear that this generation always gonna be very individualistic.
Let's hope that there's going to be a radical change of atitude, whatever should trigger this. I'm willing to try my best to live in an harmonic society.

CygnusX1

Quote from: Saryna on Sun, 2005-10-02, 10:18:25
There was a time when prog was very popular and lots of woman were always at the gigs.  It wasn't as hard to find as it is right now. 

Is that true? (I'm too young to know ;D )  I seem to remember in an interview Phil Collins attributed the change in Genesis' style between the 70s and 80s to be partly down to the lack of women at gigs during the Gabriel era.  But when "Follow you follow me" came out more girls, he claims, started taking more of an interest.

Moonloop

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Sun, 2005-10-02, 12:49:39
This is an interesting vision. I think many mature women are thinking like this today. But I'm 'just' 17 years old, and I think my generation is more individual than older ones. I'm hoping that it has to with the fact that not everybody I know has grown up yet. But I fear that this generation always gonna be very individualistic.
Let's hope that there's going to be a radical change of atitude, whatever should trigger this. I'm willing to try my best to live in an harmonic society.

Just an observation, but I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that people are more individual now, I think that's always been the case. The difference now perhaps is that society is more accepting and tolerant of individualism than it has been in the past  ???
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

PH

Quote from: CygnusX1 on Mon, 2005-10-03, 13:38:46I seem to remember in an interview Phil Collins attributed the change in Genesis' style between the 70s and 80s to be partly down to the lack of women at gigs during the Gabriel era.  But when "Follow you follow me" came out more girls, he claims, started taking more of an interest.

The player... ;D
I heard he's had three wives... don't know if he's still married, maybe another one?

Anyway I stand very close to Vanderwoude's point.
But still... what does it have to do with the fact that there are less women and more men at proggigs?

OK, I think generally that people (not necessary women or men or children or grown-ups), people are more individual nowadays.
That's why I like Arena's lyrics. They're so direct:
"Are they so pure? That they should judge me everyday? Am I so low in estimation? That none will hear a word I say?"

People don't think about what they're doing.
To react on Vanderwoude's post...
His ex-girlfriend wasn't thinking about the consequences... She wanted to live for her own, that's ok, but don't try to hold a relationship then.
That's my thought anyway.

And moonloop, if it's always been so bad as it is now, but society is accepting individualism more than in the past, isn't it worse then?

Vanderwoude

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2005-10-03, 17:20:50
But still... what does it have to do with the fact that there are less women and more men at proggigs?

People don't think about what they're doing.
To react on Vanderwoude's post...
His ex-girlfriend wasn't thinking about the consequences... She wanted to live for her own, that's ok, but don't try to hold a relationship then.
That's my thought anyway.

And moonloop, if it's always been so bad as it is now, but society is accepting individualism more than in the past, isn't it worse then?

I think you're right about my girlfriend.

What I wanted to say with that experience of mine, is that the people that I know of, who are thinking a lot about life like to listen to progrock. Not everybody, but many do. (My ex-girlfriend, btw,  is not a fan of progrock ;D) Most progrockfans I know are boys, so maybe men are more rational then women, but it might also have to do with the particular sound of most prog. wich men maybe like more than women. So now I'm curious, if the next girl I will meet with a little bit the same way of thinking as mine, will love prog.

Emilia

Ekhmm...I am sorry to interrupt this interesting dispute but as far as I know  ;D I AM a girl and I take music seriously, love prog rock, started to listen to it on my own (my second halves never did, sadly  :) OK I never seriously learned to play music - like music school or something - cos I had other things to do (fortunately and unfortunately) and for other reasons like money. I am speaking for myself but I really do not know why most momen do not listen to progressive music, some of them even do not listen to any kind of "real" music (I am not talking about Shakira and B.Spears), why do they not tend to spend most of their money on music (probabbly because they spen it on clothes and make-up things  ;D) or why do they not go to (prog)rock gigs (unless they are not dragged there by their boy-friends:). I can understand the reason why they do not join or create bands cos they have to raise children and run the house and simply do not have the time for touring, writing music, recording and such things. I DO understand that. However, Listening to music is just the matter of taste- have no idea why girls' tastes in music are different - perhaps there must be something with the brain connections ;D (have to examine my brain) Girls on the whole prefer simpler, more melodic or more romantic (perhaps) music. I know some who are crazy about Rammstein, Tool and such ... the music I personnaly do not understand, and I know girls who love much heavier music than progressive - these usually can not digest progressive at the same time :) I like both so my brain connections must be even more complex heeee ;D But I confirm that I do not know any single girl who likes prog music (they usually prefer Sting and U2 - I think they are extremely popular among women), they go to their gigs and buy every record... I am also wondering if this is also a matter of education, background or origin or even what your parents listen(ed) to???mine had little to do with music anyway....  :)what do you think?
I think it's the country of origin which matters a lot (for both sexes). In Greece for instance it was hard for me to find anything except for Greek music which is not proggy I guess... so If you made a poll there it would come out nobody listenes to prog rock there (any Greeks here..?) This is conected with your country background, history and so on. In my country prog rock is relatively popular, not with girls but lots of guys do listen to it - but it is usually limited to Marillion & Genesis hee, (not many people here heard of Arena). We do not like complicated music very much, our bands play very simple rock with simple everyday topics, which is manly about our politics, everyday (dull) life, hopelesness of our government :) poverty and so on...  and stuff like that - not very romantic or melodicaly chalenging stuff - but our own productions are extremely popular here, not very proggy either... and they gather big crowds here. Our music is really different from the rest of Europe I guess (like Greek :) that's why almost none of the Polish rock bands is popular outside but extremely popular here... and that's about it :)
Cheers,
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

sotonrobin

I was recently at a Mostly Autumn gig, and I was surprised by how many females (quite a lot) were at the gig.

Two of them were my wife and daughter, who have also attended gigs by Jadis, Rick Wakeman, Karnataka. We were hoping to see Blackmores Night at the end of the month but it's sold out, so we are all going to the new Arjen Lucassen project/Band "Stream of Passion" in London early next year.

Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

keyboardistmatt

I saw Mostly Autumn at Mr.Kyps in Poole on their 'Passengers' tour...

They were good! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Higgins III

getting a gig for a heavy metal band in Mr kyps is not easy. They don't like that sort of music. Mr Smiths is a little easier for a heavy metal band but still its a bit of a waiting list they've got.
...wot does the rest of the alphabet equal?

Higgins III

it also helps to have a half decent band which is why i am no making another band. It helps ;D

Vanderwoude

Maybe you can make a deal with your girlfriend,

You go with her to Robbie Williams, (Let her pay!  :P) and take her to Arena or something similar.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Higgins III on Sun, 2005-10-09, 00:46:47
getting a gig for a heavy metal band in Mr kyps is not easy. They don't like that sort of music. Mr Smiths is a little easier for a heavy metal band but still its a bit of a waiting list they've got.

...errrm... Mostly Autumn are not a heavy band... ::)

gelert

De-de-de-de-de-de-de-de....

Why, why, do we suffer each race to believe...
...that no race has been grander.
It seems because through time and space,
though names may change, each face retains the mask it wore....
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-10-10, 20:32:47

Why, why, do we suffer each race to believe...
...that no race has been grander.
It seems because through time and space,
though names may change, each face retains the mask it wore....

Pardon?

Higgins III

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2005-10-09, 14:44:18
...errrm... Mostly Autumn are not a heavy band... ::)

Ok ok. Don't get all smart on me ;D

sotonrobin

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-10-10, 20:46:56
Pardon?

I don't know either, but  A carved oak table Tells a tale...
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

keyboardistmatt

... Anyway...

I'm glad we have a few more female fans on the forum now.

It makes that 'Boy:Girl ratio' a little more even! :)