News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2020-09-22, 19:18:54
Was it 'Sola Scriptura' or 'Sola Gratia', the new one? They're both great 8).

Ah yes you are correct  :-[

I never enjoyed Sola Scriptura as much as his other offerings I guess it is time to give it another go.

I have also been enjoying The Red Planet by Rick Wakeman it is his best album for a while and reminds me a little of Criminal Record which is my favourite of his. If you haven't heard it it is worth a listen.

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Tue, 2020-09-22, 22:12:09
I have also been enjoying The Red Planet by Rick Wakeman it is his best album for a while and reminds me a little of Criminal Record which is my favourite of his. If you haven't heard it it is worth a listen.
Most of the time I find instrumental albums boring, but I'll give it a try soon ...  :).

Had to play Anathema today after the news yesterday that they'd call it a day because of the Covid virus. They keep the door a little bit open for the future, but I'm shocked :o. Who's next? Very tragic :-X.

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Airbag - A Day At The Beach

np: Days Between Stations - Giants
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Bupie

Delain - April Rain

I always had a soft spot for female fronted symphonic metal bands but it's a come and go thing for me. Lately I started listening again to a  few of these bands and Delain appears to be the most consistent, if not highly (or at all) innovative. Of course, you need to be able to handle a strong dose of pop and cheesy lyrics but I can do that  *horns*

Teunis

pp: Anathema - Falling Deeper

np, as promised: Rick Wakeman - The Red Planet

I'm really a keyboard-oriented listener and there are some great songs on it, but nearly an hour this kind of instrumental music is very long ... at least for me. Vocals would be very welcome :).

Iggy

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2020-09-24, 18:59:36
pp: Anathema - Falling Deeper

np, as promised: Rick Wakeman - The Red Planet

I'm really a keyboard-oriented listener and there are some great songs on it, but nearly an hour this kind of instrumental music is very long ... at least for me. Vocals would be very welcome :).

Criminal Record is shorter and better (imo) and it has some lyrics though not many.

It is really sad about Anathema and hopefully they will start up again after the pandemic.

Jp Lotus and np Lykaia - Soen

I have listened to these albums before but am noe really enjoying them.  8) to the room for bringing them to my attention.

PH

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2020-09-21, 20:47:33
I believe that the neal Morse release was recorded remotely which makes it very impressive indeed.

That's true.
As always, a Neal Morse release is meant to be in my top ten list. While his latest solo album is not as good as "Sola Scriptura" or the latest two Neal Morse Band concept albums, it's probably still better than "Momentum" or "Lifeline" or "The Grand Experiment". He's just so much better in the concept album department.

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2020-09-23, 19:01:53
Had to play Anathema today after the news yesterday that they'd call it a day because of the Covid virus. They keep the door a little bit open for the future, but I'm shocked :o. Who's next? Very tragic :-X.

I've also heard some rumours that there might be more to it than just COVID-19... Don't know what's true of it and I've only heard about it in one place, so I won't go into details here, but it seems there were some (personal) struggles in the band.
I hope we will see the band in one form or another, because I really liked their albums.
Still, there's no denying virus is going to be a big problem for a lot of bands.

Today I listened to Ayreon's "Transitus" for the third time already. (I got the 'yummy-looking' earbook edition the day before yesterday). It's strange but I was reminded of Nolan & Wakeman on quite some spots here and there. It's a very short double album (80 minutes in total), well, when you compare it to nowadays.
To me it's long enough, most of the time I have difficulties listening to a double album all the way through. I'm not sure about what to think of "Transitus" yet, but there are some surprising elements and I will give it the benefit of the doubt and say: 8)

Also listened to Neal Morse - "Sola Gratia", definitely a grower (even when it's already 'easy listening' for the Neal Morse fanboy).
And now listening to The Pineapple Thief - "Versions Of The Truth", also a grower. Reminds me a lot of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and Mariusz Duda/Riverside. Not a problem for me!

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2020-09-24, 20:20:44

Today I listened to Ayreon's "Transitus" for the third time already. (I got the 'yummy-looking' earbook edition the day before yesterday). It's strange but I was reminded of Nolan & Wakeman on quite some spots here and there. It's a very short double album (80 minutes in total), well, when you compare it to nowadays.
To me it's long enough, most of the time I have difficulties listening to a double album all the way through. I'm not sure about what to think of "Transitus" yet, but there are some surprising elements and I will give it the benefit of the doubt and say: 8)

I listened to it for the first time today and I get your Nolan and Wakeman connection. I liked it but it didn't grab me straight away there are too many short songs for my liking. It was nice to hear Paul Manzi though who is my favourite Arena singer. I am sad that he has moved on but i do like Damien Wilson it will be interseting to hear his takes on the back catalogue.

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2020-09-24, 20:11:23
Jp Lotus and np Lykaia - Soen

I have listened to these albums before but am now really enjoying them.  8) to the room for bringing them to my attention.
Yeah, great band indeed *horns*

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2020-09-24, 20:20:44
Also listened to Neal Morse - "Sola Gratia", definitely a grower (even when it's already 'easy listening' for the Neal Morse fanboy).
Indeed, some tracks I don't like (yet), but after many listenings I can say it's a great album, though I had expected more ...

Quote from: PH
And now listening to The Pineapple Thief - "Versions Of The Truth", also a grower. Reminds me a lot of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and Mariusz Duda/Riverside. Not a problem for me!
From the 3 purchases (The Pineapple Thief, Neal Morse and Gazpacho), this is easily my favourite 8). Gazpacho is also a grower, don't have the 'wow' feeling (yet) :).

np: Ayreon - Transitus

On Spotify, first listening. The time that I bought Ayreon releases instantly are gone ... Will have to play it more often, but as you know, I'm not a big fan of female vocals and there are many of them. But hey, it's Ayreon. I'll give it a proper chance :).

Teunis

Today:
IQ - Resistance
Steve Lukather - Lukather
Anathema - Weather Systems

np: The Pineapple Thief - Someone Here Is Missing

Teunis

Today:
X-Panda - Flight Of Fancy 8)
Soen - Lotus *horns*
Steve Thorne - Levelled (Emotional Creatures: Part 3)

np: Opeth - Pale Communion

Teunis

Today:
Muse - The 2nd Law
The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth
Gazpacho - Fireworker

np: Kingcrow - Eidos

PH

Just listened to:
Caligula's Horse - "Rise Radiant"
This is truly one of the best albums this year! 8)

The past few days I have also been listening to:
"The Flower King" by Roine Stolt (which I consider to be the first Flower Kings album) and "Back To The World Of Adventures" and "Retropolis" by The Flower Kings. I'm preparing for the new TFK album: "Islands"

Now listening to:
The Flower Kings - "Stardust We Are"
By this time the band was well on the way. It seems this album is one of the better rated albums. There's no sign of Jonas Reingold yet though.

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2020-10-02, 12:03:11
Just listened to:

I will check this out soon.

JP In absentia - Porcupine tree (Disc 2 from the recent rerelease)
NP Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2020-10-02, 12:03:11
Just listened to:
I've listened to it about 3 times right after it was released. Didn't click by then although I really liked a number of tracks. But will try again.

pp: Neal Morse - Sola Gratia
jp: John Watts - The Iceberg Model
np: Profuna Ocean - Continuation (EP)

Iggy

I enjoyed Caligula's Horse and will listen again. They reminded me of someone else but I can't put my finger on which band.

I am having a Pendragon morning

Passion followed by Pure and now Men Who Climbed Mountains.

Teunis

pp: Subsignal - Paraíso 8)
np: Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant

Doesn't grip me so much as I was hoping for ... not a bad album, but it lacks something I can't explain. Melody and versatility maybe. It sounds a bit like Agent Fresco (the high voice and the rhythm guitars), but I prefer Agent Fresco. My favourite 2020 release remains The Pineapple Thief at the moment.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2020-10-03, 19:36:48
np: Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant

Doesn't grip me so much as I was hoping for ... not a bad album, but it lacks something I can't explain. Melody and versatility maybe.

That's so funny, because to me this is so melodic and versatile. ;D

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2020-10-03, 19:36:48
It sounds a bit like Agent Fresco (the high voice and the rhythm guitars), but I prefer Agent Fresco.

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2020-10-03, 14:57:52
I enjoyed Caligula's Horse and will listen again. They reminded me of someone else but I can't put my finger on which band.

Guys, you're referring to Leprous without knowing it.
Caligula's Horse sounds so much like Leprous and Haken.

Today I listened to:
Roine Stolt - "Hydrophonia"
&
The Flower Kings - "Stardust We Are"

PH

The Flower Kings - "Flower Power"

Hmm... this was a really nice listen actually.

THEO - "Figureheads"
This is funny. After listening to The Flower Kings and listening to this right after, this could be a Flower Kings album.
Seriously though, this is a fantastic album! I discovered it last week. It was released exactly one week ago. The album consists of four epics (10, 15, 10, 16 minutes). It has a lot of nice melodic hooks. I heard some "Wind & Wuthering" style keyboards and some mellotron (in an Arena kind of way).
So we have Genesis, Yes and a lot of late 90's Neo-Prog style as a reference here. Recommended! (And that's only after my second listen!)

PH

The Flower Kings - "Flower Power"
Only the first disc this time. It's pretty good.

THEO - "Figureheads"
Third listen. Things begin to fall into places really well. The song Man Of Action has a chorus that could have been on an Asia with John Payne album. Well, it reminded me of that anyway. Also Magic Pie comes to mind a lot here. The album starts off a little bit strange, a bit too 'heavy' and 'chaotic' considering the rest of the album is quite symphonic. Don't get fooled by it.
A late favourite of september, this album.

Now listening to:
John Holden - "Rise And Fall"
Some good bits and some dull bits. It's a pleasant listen, but I'm not sure whether this will end up in my end of year list.
Anyone else tried this album? It has quite some 'famous' prog artists in the credits.

PH

Enslaved - "Utgard"
Saw this on my list to check out. The album is only a few days old. It was actually really pleasant. I will listen to it again for certain.
If only Nicky could see me now.

Maciej Meller - "Zenith"
Of course I was expecting music not unlike Riverside. But instead I got more Ray Wilson vibes from this. Strange. Not bad, but doesn't convince me either. But you know, I'll try again some time.

La Maschera Di Cera - "S.E.I."
Which apparantly means 'Separazione Egolatria Inganno'. At first I was like "nah", but there are some bits in it that made me rewind and listen again. And this band has a bit of a legend status, with Fabio Zuffanti in it (Höstsonaten among many others). I was into RPG (Rock Progressivo Italiano) for a moment a few years back. This guy came popping up everywhere.

THEO - "Figureheads" (again)
Something's drawing me back to this album each time. Lot of good stuff on this. I'm sure this band could get pretty popular (as in 'Beardfish' popular, not Lady Gaga popular) if it would get more exposure. Or maybe it already has, but I can't find it. No-one else seems to have heard of it.

Gazpacho - "Fireworker"
Yet again a nice addition to their discography. OK, so they added a choir to the mix in the first two songs. Not sure what to think of that. Seems a bit like a gimmick to me. And there are some heavy guitars. Feels a bit out of place, but after a few listens it grows on you. I really like the last two songs, especially the very last. I think this might become one of their best songs actually. Overall it's very Gazpacho. Just like aaaaaaaall the other Gazpacho albums since "Night".

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2020-10-05, 21:27:43
Guys, you're referring to Leprous without knowing it.
Caligula's Horse sounds so much like Leprous and Haken.
Not one single moment it reminded me of Leprous :). Maybe more like Haken, also a band I can't deal with for some reason although I tried. Too difficult and too heavy for my taste. But that's interesting, music is so subjective ;).

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2020-10-07, 23:13:45
THEO - "Figureheads" (again)
Something's drawing me back to this album each time. Lot of good stuff on this. I'm sure this band could get pretty popular (as in 'Beardfish' popular, not Lady Gaga popular) if it would get more exposure. Or maybe it already has, but I can't find it. No-one else seems to have heard of it.
Indeed, never heard of it. A bit 'Flower Kings-alike?' I've heard the last album of TFK. Some really great tracks, but it grips me too little for a purchase ... Will listen to THEO soon.

Quote from: PH
Gazpacho - "Fireworker"
Yet again a nice addition to their discography. OK, so they added a choir to the mix in the first two songs. Not sure what to think of that. Seems a bit like a gimmick to me. And there are some heavy guitars. Feels a bit out of place, but after a few listens it grows on you. I really like the last two songs, especially the very last. I think this might become one of their best songs actually. Overall it's very Gazpacho. Just like aaaaaaaall the other Gazpacho albums since "Night".
They used choirs on more albums. At first you think 'WTF', but somehow, after many listenings, it seems to suit the music. This album also took me several listenings to appreciate it. Is seems to click now. Like it more than their albums between 'Tick Tock' and 'Soyuz' now 8).

Today:
Gazpacho - London (live 2cd)
Shadow Gallery - Prime Cuts (Compilation) *horns*
Riverside - Wasteland 8)

np: Chris Rosander - King Of Hearts

Recommended in a magazine I read. Reminds me a lot of Toto, but a little bit too poppy/cheesy and 'too much of the same'.

Teunis

Leprous - Malina

What an amazing album this is 8) *horns*.

Teunis

pp: Anathema - Hindsight

jp: THEO - Figureheads

At the first track I didn't like the vocals, but later on it was better. The music is cool, will listen again :).

np: Teramaze - I Wonder

I found 'Her Halo' a great album, the album after it didn't grip me and I was curious what this one would be. Except for the track with growls, the album is great. Will listen to it more often!

Teunis

pp: The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth 8) (Still my favourite 2020 release, like it more than the new Neal Morse and Gazpacho album ... but the year isn't over yet ;))

Now listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio, waiting for great new bands to discover. But nothing so far ...  :).

Teunis

Today:
IQ - Ever (On 24th October IQ will stream 'Ever' performed live at Colos Saal, Germany, 10 February 2018 on their YouTube chanel)
Neal Morse - Sola Gratia
Asia - Omega

np: Theo - Figureheads (Like especially the last two tracks)