News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Kaipa

Started by PH, Sun, 2013-07-28, 18:57:22

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

I did a quick search, but it seems there's no topic about Kaipa yet! :o

For those who do not know Kaipa (are you kidding me?!) let me shamelessly copy-paste a text from Progarchives:

QuoteIn their early years, KAIPA was one of Sweden's best seventies symphonic prog bands. Roine STOLT from THE FLOWER KINGS was a member of KAIPA. Their albums contain a mostly instrumental music, drawing its influences from Progressive music (CAMEL, YES, GENESIS...), classic music (BACH) or Swedish folklore.

The first three albums ("Kaipa", "Inget Nytt Under Solen" and "Solo") are a beauty and probably most indicative of their style - dreamy symphonic rock with simple, yet very effective melodies and a great deal of emotion. "Notes From The Past" is their 6th studio album since 1975 and the first one since 1982. All colours of the unique KAIPA-music from the 70's are present but with a brand new collection of masterpieces. With the new album "Keyholder", Hans LUNDIN and Roine STOLT perform some new music, searching for a new level of progress, yet echoing fragments of the glorious 70's, trying to bring the new Kaipa-sound to a higher level. The melodies linger on and will probably stay with you for decades to entertain and to thrill. AN ESSENTIAL CDS for fans interested in symphonic progressive rock!

After "Keyholder" (2003) they recorded "Mindrevolutions" (2005). After that, Roine Stolt left the band and Per Nilsson (Scar Symmetry) became their new guitarist. They released "Angling Feelings" in 2007. In 2010 they released "In The Wake Of Evolution" and in 2012 they released their most recent and already their 11th studio album "Vittjar".

I have yet to truly listen to their latest, but it seems all of these 21st century Kaipa albums are pretty good. I can recommend them.

According to their Facebook, they're currently recording their 12th studio album. Possibly going to be released in 2014.

QuotePatrik Lundström, Per Nilsson and Hans Lundin recording for the next Kaipa album ♫ ♫. Unfortunately Aleena Gibson didn't manage to get here as planned, she is still in LA, she's coming to the next session in August. :)

As I said, still have to discover all the beauty in "Vittjar", but it'll probably be like "In The Wake Of Evolution", a pretty solid album, but interchangeable with the previous two albums. Which is by no means bad, since they're all good.

The classic 1970's albums of Kaipa are recommended and have a strong Yes feeling.

Draco chimera

Heard of it thanks to my uncle (talented musician, organ player, much into prog). It was weird in a way but also interesting. Maybe it felt more "light-hearted" than the prog-rock/metal bands I listened to back then. I should give it a go some time soon.
Let your conscience decide !

PH

Finally, someone replied! ;D

Well Draco, most people will only care for the recent output. And production-wise they're clearly better (and clearer :P). But musically they're somewhat same-y. Not bad at all! But not really progression from one album to another.

The old Kaipa is indeed light-hearted (even more than the recent Kaipa) and the melodies are very very sweet and 'childlike'. Almost like anyone can think of it, but noone did.
It's not very difficult music at all, but still very symphonic and Yes sounding.

I'm not making much sense now am I?

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2013-08-21, 22:20:18
Finally, someone replied! ;D

Well Draco, most people will only care for the recent output. And production-wise they're clearly better (and clearer :P). But musically they're somewhat same-y. Not bad at all! But not really progression from one album to another.

The old Kaipa is indeed light-hearted (even more than the recent Kaipa) and the melodies are very very sweet and 'childlike'. Almost like anyone can think of it, but noone did.
It's not very difficult music at all, but still very symphonic and Yes sounding.

I'm not making much sense now am I?
Haha, you do make sense.  ;) I've been listening to 'softer' music than my usual prog metal lately, so I might as well look into it. My father must have one of their releases somewhere...
Let your conscience decide !

PH

OK, so finally there is some news about Kaipa's next offering.

KAIPA: Sattyg (Inside Out 2014) CD, Gatefold 2-LP + CD

Legendary Swedish progressive rock band KAIPA returns in November 2014 with their 12th studio album "Sattyg".

The unique mix of Swedish folk music, rock and fusion with a tinge of medieval music has given the band a special place in many peoples heart all around the world. The magic sense of wonder that characterizes their latest albums has been taken to a new level with "Sattyg". Unpredictable paths are discovered on this new expedition and as always they take you to explore new exciting horizons but at the same time the band returns to its roots to bring you familiar classic Kaipa music.

Release dates: Europe: November 10th 2014, US: January 13th 2015

Tracklist:
1. A Map Of Your Secret World 15:02
2. World Of The Void 7:49
3. Screwed-upness 13:06
4. Sattyg 3:13
5. A Sky Full Of Painters 14:42
6. Unique When We Fall 5:17
7. Without Time – Beyond Time 9:49

Hans Lundin: Keyboards & vocals
Per Nilsson: Electric & acoustic guitars
Morgan Ågren: Drums
Jonas Reingold: Electric basses
Patrik Lundström: Vocals
Aleena Gibson: Vocals

Special guests:
Fredrik Lindqvist: Recorders & whistles
Elin Rubinsztein: Violin

An instant buy for me.

PH

In other news...

Roine Stolt, the ex-guitarist of Kaipa, is reforming with other ex-Kaipa members Ingemar Bergman (drums) and Tomas Eriksson (bass), supplemented with Tomas Bodin (keyboards) and Michael Stolt (vocals, guitar) under the name of "Kaipa Da Capo".
They are going to tour and play 70's Kaipa music.

(I guess with Hans Lundin's blessing?)

Bupie

Since the actual Kaipa shares members (and composer(s) ?) with Karmakanic that I enjoyed so much recently, I could be tempted ...

PH

Jonas Reingold is indeed a member of Kaipa since 2000.
I'm not sure if he's composing within Kaipa. I'll check the booklets for you. If he actually is a composer, it probably will be minimal because Hans Lundin is the supreme leader of Kaipa. He practically IS Kaipa.
Jonas' recognisable bass sounds are a very big part of the Kaipa sound though.

But here is a deal: You promise me to check out Kaipa, and I will do the same with Karmakanic!

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2014-09-19, 22:53:23
But here is a deal: You promise me to check out Kaipa, and I will do the same with Karmakanic!

Sure. We have a deal  ;)

PH

Bupie, it seems Jonas Reingold does not really compose any music within Kaipa. All the booklets only mention Hans Lundin as writer of the songs. Except for "Keyholder", which has Roine Stolt mentioned as co-writer of a few songs.
In fact, I think that Roine Stolt particularly was very much involved in the sound of the first three 'revived' albums. But Hans is the leader and from what I've read in interviews he is a little bit of a control freak. I think their egos clashed which was the reason of Roine leaving the band. It could be very much the case that Hans Lundin is the main writer and that the other members contributed without getting credit for it.

I tried to find the reviews and interviews, but all I could find was this interview in which Hans Lundin explains:
"This time I've totally followed my inner feelings and in co-operation with the other members I've formed the final result. It has been a real pleasure to work with all the involved musicians and record this album. I haven't missed Roine Stolt's preconceived opinions about how music shall sound for a single second."

"... in co-operation, I have formed..." So I guess it's safe to say that the other members play an important part.

Also the last sentence makes me feel sad, because it sounds like he's so negative about Roine, while he praises his playing in other interviews. But it also shows a little bit what kind of character he is. Stubborn and pushy and with a clear idea of his visions and what he wants in music.

PH