News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Best of Arena CD

Started by ironcow2103, Thu, 2005-09-15, 13:36:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ironcow2103

Thinking about the Best of Arena CD that is planned for next year, I was pondering the concept of 'Best of' albums and the value for money they offer fans.

No doubt most of us will buy the Best of Arena CD when it is released, despite the fact we will have most if not all the songs on other albums. I always used to justify buying 'Best of" albums on the basis it was all the good stuff that I could play on my walkman - now I've got my iPod this is not the case as I've ALL my Arena songs on it. So what value is there in buying it (other than supporting the band)?

I know some artists stick a new track or two on for the faithful fans but I've always thought that was a cop out (and hey now with iTunes etc we can just buy the songs we don't have). So what is the point of this rambling discourse?  ;)

Well I have an idea - it may not be practical, but...

Howabout the current line up re-recording the old songs for the Best of album, maybe with slightly different mixes on some? This would mean new fans would still discover the band and existing fans would be getting something familiar but new?

Just a thought...

Steve

Peter

As Clive already said, the main reason for this best-of album is to be able to give something to non-fans which includes all the highlights.

That said, buy 3 (or more :) ) and give them away to friends of yours, who might be interested and might turn into Arena fans!
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

I'd still buy it regardless, mainly because I'm an obsessive collector  ;) , and if I like a band, then I tend to buy everything by them (within reason). Best Of's therefore hold no fear for me, bring them on I say  ;D

A limited run with (say) a bonus disc of rareties would be nice though  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

keyboardistmatt

I've turned some friends into Arena fans... mate Shawn, mate Dave, mate Luke...

...My dear fiance Rene...

...the rest of the family... they havent had much choice, really! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

intruder

Well I must admit myself, I don't as a rule buy best of and greatest hits CD's myself, due to the fact of having most of the tracks on the original albums. But the fact of why artists do bring out these compilations out, is to attract new fans. Normally these albums are a good starting point, for any new listener, and it gives them a highlighted taste of all of the artists work that they have done to date. For example imagine if you were in a record shop browsing through Arena's CD's, and you had never heard of them before, and noticed a rather nice cover, (lets say the Immortal album for instance) now that alone could entice one to buy the CD, but it's very unlikely. But on further looking through Arena's CD's you noticed The best Of Arena CD, which contained tracks not just off the Immortal album but their other albums as well. One might say to himself these look interesting Ill give it a whirl and buy it. You will also notice that these kind of albums contain important information, like what albums all the tracks came off originally, which will again entice one to go out and buy after listening to the best of Arena album.

Now you might be thinking that this is just a ripp off by the artist, and a way for them to make more money. Well one it's far from a ripp off, and two, yes they will make more money. But you must remember the fact that Arena are far from a big earning band, and for them to be able to continue in what they are doing, they need to generate money. Because it costs money to make records, and it costs even more to put on a live show. In reality any band or artist, is really like a salesman. They only get real money if they can sell the product they produce. Arena have 2 live DVD's, both of which were made in poland, now there could be 2 reasons for why they were made there. 1. Is that they have more fans in poland (which is very unlikely) or 2. It's cheaper to put on a show and to make a DVD there. In this day and age with the internet, it's even harder for bands like Arena to make money, with peeps downloading stuff for free. The only real chance they have is with true fans like Moonloop for instance who quotes
Quote from: Moonloop on Mon, 2005-09-19, 16:27:58
I'd still buy it regardless, mainly because I'm an obsessive collector  ;) , and if I like a band, then I tend to buy everything by them (within reason). Best Of's therefore hold no fear for me, bring them on I say  ;D

A limited run with (say) a bonus disc of rareties would be nice though  ;D

Unicorn

I really don't know what my fav album is.

I think "The Visitor" got the most spins. And so does "Pride". But I like the other really much as well.

Oh sorry, I misread the thread ;)

PH

Quote from: intruder on Wed, 2006-12-06, 20:04:14In this day and age with the internet, it's even harder for bands like Arena to make money, with peeps downloading stuff for free. The only real chance they have is with true fans like Moonloop for instance who quotes

You're talking about the wrong people here.

But if I hadn't downloaded Contagion I wouldn't have bought Pepper's Ghost, The Visitor, Immortal?, The Cry and Songs From The Lion's Cage.
If I hadn't downloaded The Masquarade Overture I wouldn't have bought it.
If I hadn't downloaded Deadwing, I wouldn't have bought Deadwing, In Absentia and Stupid Dream (next on my list is Arriving Somewhere.. by the way)
If I hadn't downloaded Octavarium, I wouldn't have bought Octavarium, Scenes From A Memory, Six Degrees, Awake, Images And Words

And so on. ;D

I'm listening ProgArchives nearly everyday, I'm downloading some albums nearly everyday and every now and then I run to the shop and buy everything I liked, which means that I spend a lot of money at the same time.
Last time I spent 75 euros because I HAD to buy the albums I liked.

The internet is a GREAT medium, especially because of this.
People who download and don't buy don't have a heart.

Ahem.
My rant is over, LOL. :D

Yes, The Visitor is great!

intruder

Well P.H. All I can really say on your views, is that you are one of a very minor majority of people, who download music just to listen to as a sample, and then go out and actually buy it. I would also like to point out, that I was not having a go at anybody, I was merely providing an answer to the original post by ironcow2103, as to why artists bring out albums like the Best Of and Greatest Hits e.t.c. and the downloading of music illegally was merely just making a point, of how much harder it is today for such artists to make a buck.

Your views on the internet being a good thing for downloading music, to sample before you buy, are all very well, if everyone was like you. But as I said you come into a minor majority, in fact I would even go as far as to say it was no more than 2%. Statistics show that the downloading of music for free without the artists consent, is killing the music industry. This is not bullshit, it's a fact. You only have to look at how many copies of a record today make a silver, gold and platinum disc, compared with years ago before we had the internet. There are many ways today one can sample an album today legitimatly, by using the internet. By going to the artist websites, which have samples of their music on there, as well as whole tracks to download. Also all the online record stores like Amazon, HMV and Virgin e.t.c. have samples of the album tracks. Surely one does not have to download an whole album to be inclined to go out and buy it.

Highfire

I'm another one who downloads to test, and then buys the best.  ;)

I downloaded my first Pendragon, A.C.T or Ayreon, and have bought everything of them. My first Arena (Pride) was a copy, but now I have everything, except a couple of VHSs ... by now.

I buy a lot of music, but I'm not gonna spend money in a new band "just to see wat it happens", because I'm not rich (at all). First of all I try, then I buy.

In Spain we have a "funny" law about downloading: we have to pay an extra tax when we buy any CDR or DVDR, or even a mp3 player ... and that money is paid to the author's asociation to cover "their loses"; so we feel "free" to download someway. ;D

I'll keep on downloading, but also buying ... I have a heart!!! ;)

We have been chosen...

PH

Hehehe.
Here in Holland we also have a strange law (in fact we have many, but that's not the point).
It is legal to download, but illegal to upload.
What kinda law is that anyway? :D