News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2020-04-14, 20:13:03
Returning the favour: ;)
IQ - "Resistance"

For some reason yesterday this album did much better. Some parts fell into place. Two hours is very long though.
Thanks Teunis. I'll give it another shot today and then I'll comment on the things you mentioned earlier. Now I have good hopes that it will finally click with me!

Previously played:
Pure Reason Revolution - "Eupnea"
This is good! Some parts reminded me of "The Dark Third" a lot. I'll investigate further.

Now playing:
Joviac - "Here And Now"

Wow, very promising! On Spotify they have a playlist with their musical influences and it's quite an impressive list with everything I like as well. This goes on my discovery list to investigate further!

Teunis

about IQ - Resistance
Quote from: PH on Wed, 2020-04-15, 12:38:30
For some reason yesterday this album did much better. Some parts fell into place. Two hours is very long though.
Thanks Teunis. I'll give it another shot today and then I'll comment on the things you mentioned earlier. Now I have good hopes that it will finally click with me!
You're welcome. It took me several listenings as well. Two discs is long and you have to get into the music and the melodies. It is human not giving it enough time. IQ is one of my favourite (neo) prog bands and I do give it the time it needs. If you like the 'old' IQ, you definitely have to get used to it. Since 'The Road Of Bones' they are sounding much heavier, but that's no disadvantage for me :).

jp: Moon Halo - Chroma
You are right PH, the best tracks at the start and a few other beautiful songs. I do love the voice of Mark Atkinson, also like his Riversea albums. But overall 'much of the same' and some weaker tracks. Too less for a purchase as far as I'm concerned.

np: Different Light - Binary Suns Part 1 (Operant Condition)
Pleasantly surprised, very accessible music, unlike Yes ;). The intro of the opening track ... beautiful! And I do love the vocals as well. I don't hear the bands you listed (from reviews), it reminds me of the Dutch neoprog band 'Silhouette'. Will definitely get more airplay.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2020-04-15, 20:20:52
about IQ - ResistanceYou're welcome. It took me several listenings as well. Two discs is long and you have to get into the music and the melodies. It is human not giving it enough time. IQ is one of my favourite (neo) prog bands and I do give it the time it needs. If you like the 'old' IQ, you definitely have to get used to it. Since 'The Road Of Bones' they are sounding much heavier, but that's no disadvantage for me :).

I agree with you about it being human not giving it enough time. But this way they'll never get new fans. It's a strange phenomenon: an album doesn't grip you right away, but it's one of your favourite bands so you try and try and try (intrinsic motivation) and in the end you like it. But the ones who are not fans will never invest that much. They need outside motivation or extrinsic motivation. Last year I listened to the latest albums by The Script and Kensington. Two bands I normally don't listen to. I didn't like it at first, but I tried and tried and tried and in the end I liked it. What was my motivation? My girlfriend liked the bands and I desperately want to like everything she likes (well that's not true haha, but for the purpose of this example anyway).

The thing is, it doesn't always work like that, so sometimes we're lucky to like it in the end and sometimes we pretend to be (because we invested so much of our time in it). And sometimes we just simply don't like it.

I truly believe that investment in the music can lead to liking it, but there's also some sort of bias in it too. When you're already a fan of the band, you tell yourself that you have to like it. For me, there has to be *something* in the music that makes me get the idea that there's more to it than what I just heard (=to get intrincically motivated). When that *something* is not there, I'm likely not bothering with it.

What a ramble... Sorry about that. I was just clearing my mind. I don't even know why. But I'll leave it here so I can check if I still agree on myself in about a week. :P

jp: Moon Halo - Chroma
You are right PH, the best tracks at the start and a few other beautiful songs. I do love the voice of Mark Atkinson, also like his Riversea albums. But overall 'much of the same' and some weaker tracks. Too less for a purchase as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also not entirely sure about a purchase. In fact, I want to cut down the amount of albums that I buy. There's no need to buy an album and never listen to it again because in the end I didn't like it enough...

Pleasantly surprised, very accessible music, unlike Yes ;).

Haha, yes I see what you mean. Good to see you like it! 8)

The intro of the opening track ... beautiful!

Yes I also think the intro is extremely gripping. The first minute or so of the song reminds me of something, but I don't know what it is.

And I do love the vocals as well. I don't hear the bands you listed (from reviews), it reminds me of the Dutch neoprog band 'Silhouette'. Will definitely get more airplay.

I don't hear those bands either. However, I think you're spot on about Silhouette. I remember their album "Moods" had a song about being at a Pendragon concert. So that makes full sense.

Yesterday evening I listened to:

Once And Future Band - "Deleted Scenes"

This is really good! Haha, I know I'm repeating myself a lot lately, but I listen to a lot when I'm in 'discovery mode' ;D and there's a lot of bad stuff as well, but I only mention the music here that I like.
This American band sounds like it belongs in the 70s. ProgArchives says 'Crossover Prog'. That's a very broad genre of course. When I open the Crossover Prog page on ProgArchives there's Supertramp and Phideaux, and I think that could be some of the references. But I guess we could also add Beatles.
Furthermore it reminds me of the music that Karel Svoboda composed for the TV anime series in the seventies (Vicky the Viking, Maya the Bee, Pinocchio, Nils Holgersson), anyone remember these?
Bottom line: it's very catchy and a great discovery for me.

I also listened to:
Illutia - "Un Sitio Sing Lugar"
A band from Argentina. Although they are not menioned on ProgArchives, they are definitely in the Neo-Prog genre. A bit of a mixed bag. Musically it's decent albeit not memorable. The singing gets on my nerves after a while. The last two songs were really nice, so maybe I'll try again.

And the last one:
Conception - "State Of Deception"
Pretty cool Progressive Metal album. Never heard of them before. The singer reminded me a lot of Roy Khan (ex-Kamelot), so I checked who it was. IT IS ROY KHAN! Wow, that was unexpected. I thought he left music business.
Anyway, people who like Progressive Metal should really check this out.

NP:
Zopp - "Zopp"
Saw this band being reviewed on Progwereld. First listening now. The intro (Swedish Love) sounds promising and the title is fitting. Let's see...

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2020-04-16, 11:54:27
It's a strange phenomenon: an album doesn't grip you right away, but it's one of your favourite bands so you try and try and try (intrinsic motivation) and in the end you like it. But the ones who are not fans will never invest that much.
That's the way it works. You are a fan of a certain band because of (albums from) their discography. I'll keep on buying the new releases and give it time. For new discoveries it has to grip you earlier, otherwise you won't listen again. But there is so much to listen to, you can't keep on playing all those albums. Sometimes there's a discovery for life, like I discovered Leprous (thanks to 'The Shattered Room' 8)) and Soen.

Quote from: PH
What a ramble... Sorry about that. I was just clearing my mind. I don't even know why. But I'll leave it here so I can check if I still agree on myself in about a week. :P
Don't have to apologise, it's quite entertaining ;D. And I'm curious about your thoughts after a week ;).

In fact, I want to cut down the amount of albums that I buy. There's no need to buy an album and never listen to it again because in the end I didn't like it enough...
Exactly my problem. I have listed my collection in Discogs and if you see what I hardly play of my purchases of, let's say the last two years ... Such a shame.

Once And Future Band - "Deleted Scenes"
Illutia - "Un Sitio Sing Lugar"
Conception - "State Of Deception"
Zopp - "Zopp"
From what I read from you, I might check out 'Once And Future Band' and 'Conception'. Roy Khan is a great singer *horns*. Curious.

Today:
Steve Thorne - Into The Ether
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Antimatter - Leaving Eden

jp: Pure Reason Revolution - Eupnea
Don't know. Really like the music, but not fond of the female vocals ... I'll play it more often. The gig I'll be attending together with Gazpacho is in October. I hope it is allowed to attend gigs by then :-\.

Yep, a pleasant listen indeed. Love the (harmony) vocals, many keyboards and great guitar solos. Very melodious and you can't hear they're coming from the Czech Republic, hardly hear an accent.

Teunis

Today:
Steve Thorne - Crimes & Reasons
Strange Hobby - ? (Love this album from Arjen Lucassen 8))
Soup - Remedies (Discovered this band last year, beautiful music 8))
Subsignal - The Beacons Of Somewhere Sometime (An 'in-between', like the album before and after it more, yet quality. Great band!)
Silhouette - Beyond The Seventh Wave

np: Pattern-Seeking Animals - Pattern-Seeking Animals

Teunis

This afternoon:
Steve Thorne - Island Of The Imbeciles
Toto - Mindfields
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind

jp: Southern Empire - Civilisation
np: Daniel Cavanagh - Monochrome

maddox

NP> Nightwish ~ Human :||: Nature
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Today is Porcupine Tree
Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways

Quality time with a quality band.

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2020-04-19, 20:51:59
Today is Porcupine Tree
Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways

Quality time with a quality band.
Strange enough I have no click with this band, though I've tried many times. Their music is to difficult for me. What is their most accessible release? Then I'll do another attempt ;). But I have the same with Steve Wilson's solo career ... :-\.

Today:
Neal Morse - Alive Again
Pendragon - Love Over Fear
Arena - Pride *horns*

Now listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2020-04-19, 21:24:23
Strange enough I have no click with this band, though I've tried many times. Their music is to difficult for me. What is their most accessible release? Then I'll do another attempt ;). But I have the same with Steve Wilson's solo career ... :-\.

What exactly do you find too difficult? To me they are one of the most accessible bands out there. ???
Perhaps you mean that their music is too much metal? (Latest releases)
Or too psychedelic? (Early releases)
I think Porcupine Tree were on their most accessible peak with "Stupid Dream" (1999) and "Lightbulb Sun" (2000). Songs like Even Less, Piano Lessons, Don't Hate Me, Shesmovedon and Hatesong are some of my favourite tracks from those albums.
"In Absentia" (2002) is the album that followed, but it has some more metal in it. But also some excellent poppier songs (Trains for example).
"Signify" (1996) is the album that preceded "Stupid Dream". Like I said, it's a bit more psychedelic I guess. Waiting is a very good song from that release.
Perhaps I'm not the right person to be giving advice on the band, because I'm too close with their music. I like everything. :)
People always seem to like "Fear Of A Blank Planet" (2007) best. I think they could be right (the drums are particularly strong on this one!!), but it's also pretty depressing at times.

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2020-04-19, 22:48:33
What exactly do you find too difficult? To me they are one of the most accessible bands out there. ???
I think Porcupine Tree were on their most accessible peak with "Stupid Dream" (1999) and "Lightbulb Sun" (2000). Songs like Even Less, Piano Lessons, Don't Hate Me, Shesmovedon and Hatesong are some of my favourite tracks from those albums.
"In Absentia" (2002) is the album that followed, but it has some more metal in it. But also some excellent poppier songs (Trains for example).
"Signify" (1996) is the album that preceded "Stupid Dream". Like I said, it's a bit more psychedelic I guess. Waiting is a very good song from that release.
Perhaps I'm not the right person to be giving advice on the band, because I'm too close with their music. I like everything. :)
People always seem to like "Fear Of A Blank Planet" (2007) best. I think they could be right (the drums are particularly strong on this one!!), but it's also pretty depressing at times.

This sums it up pretty well.

I also love Arriving Somewhere from Deadwing which is also another favourite.

Teunis

Played today:
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny *horns*
Steve Thorne - Levelled ~ Emotional Creatures: Part 3
Ultravox - The Collection
Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2020-04-19, 22:48:33
Didn't know you would get angry ;). The vocals just don't appeal to me, too often a voices decoder is used, and I find it not melodious enough.

FOABP is not on Spotify, I am now playing 'Deadwing'. The tracks 'Lazarus' and 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' are okay, but it really is not the music I like. Just a matter of taste, hard to explain ...

Teunis

Today:
Kingcrow - The Persistence
Blind Ego - Preaching To The Choir
Asia (with John Payne) - Silent Nation
Gazpacho - Demon

np: Realisea - Mantelpeace

Teunis

Today:
IQ - Resistance
Genesis - Calling All Stations (This is a beautiful album. Way too underrated, period. IMHO of course ;))

jp: Sentryturn - Upon A Mess
Played it because of the highest rate (vette krent) in a prog magazine in The Netherlands, iO-pages. With hashtag #Haken and vocals compared with Peter Gabriel and Mariusz Duda I was very curious. Well, it's an album I will listen to again. It reminds me of Soen, but a little bit les melodious. Will play it again though.

np: Airbag - Machines And Men
Single from the to be released album in June. Bring it on, this is beautiful! 8)

Iggy

Over the last few days I have gone old school

Genesis - Nursery Cryme, Selling England by the Pound, Foxtrot and Wind and Wuthering
Yes - Close to the Edge, Relayer
Pink Floyd - Division Bell and A momentary Lapse of Reason
Roger Waters - Amused to Death

Tomorrow it will be a Led Zeppelin day.

Oh I almost forgot after trolling through some of the different boards on the forum

Timothy Pure - The Blood of the Berry (on spotify) anyone remember or still play it?

Iggy

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2020-04-22, 19:12:14

np: Airbag - Machines And Men
Single from the to be released album in June. Bring it on, this is beautiful! 8)

Cool I am looking forward to that album

Teunis

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2020-04-22, 21:42:54
Cool I am looking forward to that album
Me too  8) np their debut:
Airbag - Identity

before:
Asia - Omega
Toto - Africa (2cd, compilation)

Teunis

jp: Katatonia - City Burials (On Spotify, released today. First impression: great album, which needs and will get more listenings *horns*)
np: Traumhaus - Das Geheimnis (Their new album, a 2cd, also released today, not yet on Spotify. Chose their previous one. Love this German progrock 8))

Teunis

This afternoon:
Muse - Simulation Theory
Pendragon - Love Over Fear

jp: Traumhaus - In Oculis Meis (New album is on Bandcamp. Very enjoyable. Listened to the German version, next time I'll listen to the English version.)
np: Katatonia - City Burials

Teunis

This afternoon:
Airbag - All Rights Removed
Queen - Made In Heaven
Damian Wilson & Adam Wakeman - Stripped

jp: Traumhaus - In Oculis Meis (English vershion)
np: DeeExpus - Bridges (A new track from this band, finally new music 8), on YouTube)

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2020-04-20, 19:10:58
Didn't know you would get angry ;).

Oh I am so angry right now! ;D
Actually, I'm just disappointed. :P ;D

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2020-04-20, 19:10:58
The vocals just don't appeal to me, too often a voices decoder is used, and I find it not melodious enough.
FOABP is not on Spotify, I am now playing 'Deadwing'. The tracks 'Lazarus' and 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' are okay, but it really is not the music I like. Just a matter of taste, hard to explain ...

Fair enough Teunis! Thanks for trying anyway! We do agree on a lot of other things.

Genesis - Calling All Stations (This is a beautiful album. Way too underrated, period. IMHO of course ;))

This one for example. Here I agree with you. "Calling All Stations" is underrated. Ray Wilson is an excellent singer and if you like "Calling All Stations" you should check out his solo output. "Makes Me Think Of Home" or "Chasing Rainbows" are very nice albums!

jp: Sentryturn - Upon A Mess
Played it because of the highest rate (vette krent) in a prog magazine in The Netherlands, iO-pages. With hashtag #Haken and vocals compared with Peter Gabriel and Mariusz Duda I was very curious. Well, it's an album I will listen to again. It reminds me of Soen, but a little bit les melodious. Will play it again though.

Interesting! I'll put it on my list.

Quote from: Iggy on Wed, 2020-04-22, 21:37:15
Timothy Pure - The Blood of the Berry (on spotify) anyone remember or still play it?

Actually, I was listening to that one a month or so ago. It sounded pretty good.

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2020-04-25, 20:01:29
jp: Traumhaus - In Oculis Meis (New album is on Bandcamp. Very enjoyable. Listened to the German version, next time I'll listen to the English version.)

Both albums are on my discovery list. Very curious!

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2020-04-27, 20:51:47
np: DeeExpus - Bridges (A new track from this band, finally new music 8), on YouTube)

Cool! "The King Of Number 33" was really good! Do you know a release date for a new album? Or is it just this only song?

I was listening to Tangerine Dream's "Recurring Dreams" on Spotify. Pretty relaxing music.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2020-04-27, 21:47:12
Ray Wilson is an excellent singer and if you like "Calling All Stations" you should check out his solo output. "Makes Me Think Of Home" or "Chasing Rainbows" are very nice albums!
Actually I have 'The Next Best Thing' and 'Swing Your Bag', but hardly play them. Let's check out the two you mention ;).

Cool! "The King Of Number 33" was really good! Do you know a release date for a new album? Or is it just this only song?
Just this song so far. They are writing music together (apart) during the lockdown. More to follow, no release date yet. But this track tastes for more, it is very promising! Here's the direct link: Bridges

jp: Airbag - The Greatest Show On Earth
np: Sentryturn - Upon A Mess

Iggy

Jp Sean Filkins - War and Peace and other stories which has to be one of my all time favourites
Np Steven Wilson - To the Bone in 5.1 which is another great album but I only really got it after listening to Home Invasion (the live Albert Hall recording) from memory this CD didn't go down to well in the room but I could be mistaken.

Teunis

Today:
Airbag - Disconnected
Anathema - Weather Systems
Gazpacho - Firebird

Teunis

pp: Björn Riis - Lullabies In A Car Crash (As you may have noticed, I'm in an Airbag/Björn Riis mood. Very relaxing music 8))
jp: Different Light - Binary suns (part 1 - Operant condition) (Great, already looking forward to part 2 :D)
np: Zopp - Zopp (Track 3 now, don't think this is something for me. Only instrumental so far and too jazzy for my taste. I was curious after reading reviews ...)