News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Counterfeit CD?

Started by Bear, Sun, 2006-01-08, 15:21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

First of all, I am new here and not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes anyway.

I bought a copy of Contagion from eBay last weekend and received it midweek.

I am perplexed by it, however, because although it looks at first sight to be an Authentic Verglas CD, closer inspection makes me wonder if it is just a very good counterfeit.

The reason for this is that the text on the tray insert, and also in the booklet, is littered with blatant spelling errors. For example, on the tray insert, the first track is printed as 'Wich Hunt' and at the bottom, 'producer' and 'copyright' are spelled 'produser' and 'copyring'. In the booklet, among numerous errors, This Way Madness Lies is described as an 'Inctrumental' and lyrics for Painted Man include gems such as: 'With a frown on may face'; 'With a smile on ray lips' and 'That is all you people belive'. It reminds me of those electrical manuals we used to get which were badly translated from Japanese to English!!  The booklet is 12 pages long, including front and back, but it does not contain the lyrics for Ascension..or any recording info.

The print quality is professional, however, and the CD is stamped VGCD024C.

Does anyone know what I have got here?  ???

By the way the Verglas shop still shows most Arena CDs out of stock after what must be a good two months  :(
....otherwise I'd have got the CD from there - hint, hint  :-*

Clive

You've got yourself a bootleg there, I'm afraid.... we don't have a VGCD024C... no C's here!
We get the occasional spelling mistake, but not that bad!

Sorry about that...

We will be re-stocking the shop very soon....

Bear

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, Clive.

I contacted the vendors from eBay last week, but am still waiting for a reply. However, I am now going to report the matter to eBay Safe Centre and, if you have no objection, to Trading Standards also.

And for anyone else thinking of looking for CDs on eBay, I can publish the name of the vendors who sold me the bootleg CD if I am allowed to, so you can all avoid them.

Incidentally, I am new to Arena since attending the brilliant live set at the Meanfidder at the end of last year. I was overseas much of the 1990s, so that's my excuse for not appreciating the music sooner!

Cheers,

Nick

Peter

Welcome aboard Nick, albeit with a somewhat strange experience :D

Be assured, things like that won't happen on this site  ::)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Bear

Thanks for your kind words, Peter!

It's possible that the people who sold me this CD were not aware that it was a counterfeit and I  give them the benefit of the doubt until they explain themselves, if they wish to. However, they are not getting the CD back so they can sell it again; I intend to take a hammer to it. Or, if they refuse to refund the money, off it goes to Trading Standards!!

Peter

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Clive

Actually... I was wondering if you would send it to me (The verglas address is probably in the booklet). We may be able to track down a source at some point.

Bear

Funny you should ask that, Clive, as a friend I was just chatting to in Southampton said I should send it to you!! There's no address info in the booklet, but I can send it to the PO Box 19 Virgina Water address if it will get to you via that address? In fact, I live only a few stops down the line from Virginia Water in Byfleet, so I could amost deliver it in person!!

I'll stick it in the post tomorrow. At least the seller on eBay has refunded my money earlier today and he did say he was concerned, so maybe he didn't know it was dodgy. But if sending it to you helps you track down the souce, so much the better.

I actually lodged a query with Consumer Direct, which will be picked up by Surrey Trading Standards. If you want, I can give you the reference number for that in a note with the CD, and, if it helps, a pdf document which shows the eBay sale? Then you might be able to work with Trading Standards to find the source. Just a thought!!

P.S. My mate in Southampton says when are you playing live again?!

Clive

Thanks for that. I owe you a drink.....;)
It might lead us somewhere, you never know....

Playing live again? Not sure yet... there are a few possibilities this year.... watch this space!

Bear

Well, what a very nice gesture to offer a drink. Thanks very much. That made my day  :)

I got a call from Surrey Trading Standards this morning. They seem to be taking this quite seriously. The guy on the phone asked for contact details for you, which I don't have, of course, so I will pop all his details in with the CD; then you can contact him and take the matter further jointly if you want to. He did say, though, that at some time they will need the CD for evidence if they eventually manage to bring criminal proceedings. Blimey!!!

Appelmoes??

Sue em! Sue em for a the've got!!
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Bear

We could even start a war with the country of origin  :o

Smegal

hey i mad the fack a mens gotta mack mooney somehaw!
MY PRECIOUS