News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Visitor - Immortal? - Contagion - a continuous thread?

Started by psychopomp95, Sat, 2005-05-21, 09:12:45

Previous topic - Next topic

psychopomp95

I was just reading the lyrics to "Moviedrome" while listening to it, and the last section caught my eye - "he has the face of a friend / And shall reach across the world into every home / We invite him in and offer no defence", etc - this seems to refer to, perhaps, a great power who will enslave us with technology (and this definitely IS an undercurrent throughout Immortal?)... this got me thinking about the concept behind The Visitor, which, it has been suggested, is a story about the loss and (possible) regaining of faith in a higher power...
So, my point is, do these albums add up to one extended storyline? The Visitor is about losing one's faith... Immortal? is what happens when man places that faith in machines/technology (and himself to a certain degree ;)) instead of the world around him... and Contagion is from the viewpoint of a man on the outskirts of a society that has completely forgotten itself... perhaps taken that same 'messiah complex' to its logical conclusion ("An Angel Falls" as symbolism for the loss of belief in God?), before the society fails!

So, if Clive, or anyone else in a position to know for sure, is reading this - am I on to something? Was this deliberate on his part? ;) Even if it wasn't, it creates one heck of an impressive trilogy, that's for sure!

Deenfan

erik

Clive has explained that there's no planned connection between the three albums, but that there are certain recurring themes and interconnections, just because there are certain things that occupy him. There are three quite enlightening interviews with Clive about the lyrics of the albums at the Cage website in the Follow The Signs section:

(Sep-2002) Contagion Introductory Interview
(Feb-2001) And Where Will You Find Immortality?
(Jan-1999) The Visitor Revisited

And of course there's the short story that is the basis of Contagion, which explains a lot.

Erik
The Cage
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..