News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now watching

Started by funkster, Mon, 2009-11-09, 17:03:54

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Besides listening to music, I also had time to watch some various Marillion songs on YouTube.
I think it's time to purchase a Marillion DVD (or BluRay) again.
I'm thinking "Out Of The Box" might be a good one. Anyone who knows it?

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2017-02-09, 21:20:53
I think it's time to purchase a Marillion DVD (or BluRay) again.
I'm thinking "Out Of The Box" might be a good one. Anyone who knows it?
Sorry, totally not into Marillion :).

Friday a full concert from Blind Ego was uploaded to YouTube. Played it yesterday evening, great stuff *horns*.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChibQMID4tc

I do really like the YouTube app on my smart TV 8).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2017-03-05, 21:35:18
Sorry, totally not into Marillion :).

Not either Fish-Marillion, Teunis ? They're pantheon with me. I'm sure Cap will second me on this one - oh, these lovely Room traditions :-*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2017-03-15, 20:17:45
Not either Fish-Marillion, Teunis ?
No, don't find myself playing Marillion albums that often. Did try it a lot, but somehow it doesn't seem to click. Some nice songs, but overall the music seems to be too difficult for me I'm afraid.

Teunis

funkster

Line of duty - best British TV show for ages

PH

I've been watching Prison Break. Anyone seen this series? I've finished the fourth season, and sort of glad it's over. The last twelve (or so) episodes were a total stretch.
A fifth season is airing now, and I'll probably go see it, but not immediately...

Also, I watched the first disc of the "Morsefest! 2015" Blu-Ray.
Two of my favourite Morse albums ("?" and "Sola Scriptura") played live. I was really moved a couple times. I was really surprised by the Question Mark Overture, because the actual album doesn't have one. And it's a good one!

I've only just seen the first disc, but it's weekend now, so there should be time for the second disc!

maddox

Netflix is bliss.
Somewhat addicted to it.
Daredevil, Iron Fist, Johnny Cage, The 100, 3%....
I want to watch them all! :)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2017-06-04, 22:08:52
Daredevil, Iron Fist, Johnny Cage, The 100, 3%....
I want to watch them all! :)

I think you mean Luke Cage, since Johnny Cage seems to be a character from the Mortal Kombat fighting game franchise.
So how are those Marvel superheroes tv series? They are all connected to each other right? If I want to check it out, where should I start?

The 100, I've seen a couple of episodes. It was alright, I might check it out again.
And what is 3% about?

At the moment I'm not really following any series on Netflix. Waiting for the new Star Trek series and now it's just paying each month without seeing much, actually.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2017-06-05, 09:19:36
I think you mean Luke Cage, since Johnny Cage seems to be a character from the Mortal Kombat fighting game franchise.

Yep, you're right. I meant Luke Cage.
Blond moment on my side. ;)

QuoteSo how are those Marvel superheroes tv series? They are all connected to each other right? If I want to check it out, where should I start?

I started with the Iron Fist, just randomly actually.
I don't think it's important which serie you begin with. During the seasons the heroes frequently appear in other series, and sometimes the reason is about the Hand.
I do think you should watch The Defenders last.
All the heroes (Daredevil, Luke Cage, The Iron Fist and Jessica Jones) appear in this serie, where fighting the Hand and resurrected Electra is the main priority.
Daredevil itself is sometimes quite harsh but that's not very different from the comics. Personally he's my favourite character.
Luke Cage begins as a man that doesn't want to be the hero, but it does get dull from time to time.
To much ghetto-mentality and the music that comes with it. (Rap, hiphop etc)
It does get better over time.
The Iron Fist goes a reverse path.
Starts really good but when the road progress' and he gets involved as a chairman in his fathers company, it gets a bit directionless. A bit too much 'I want to be the good guy'.

QuoteThe 100, I've seen a couple of episodes. It was alright, I might check it out again.

Definitely worth to check this serie.
The main characters Clarke Griffin and Bellamy Blake start of as adversaries but during the seasons they become the leaders of the 100 and they both realise they need each other to cope with any danger that lands on their path.
I can't wait for season 5, starts, if all goes well, in februari/march next year.

QuoteAnd what is 3% about?

3% is a Portugese serie about two sides on a devastated planet Earth.
The wealthy caste and the poor.
There is an island where the wealthy people live, but that's not the majority.
The majority are the poor.
During battles and tests the poor has the opportunity to cross the ocean and be a part of the island but sadly, only 3% of those who tries are accepted to enter.
Both the 100 and 3% are mainly for the young adult viewers but if your your at heart... ;)

QuoteAt the moment I'm not really following any series on Netflix. Waiting for the new Star Trek series and now it's just paying each month without seeing much, actually.

Well there's plenty to watch on Netflix, even the movies are worth while. Better than Ziggo horizon in my opinion.
Ziggo does have Game of Thrones...That's a great serie as well.
Hmm, choices... ;)

PH

Since I asked the question I have already started. I started the Marvel Universe with "Daredevil" season 1, then "Jessica Jones" season 1, next the second season of "Daredevil", then "Luke Cage" and now half way with "Iron Fist". In retrospect, I think that's actually the best route to take, because it's the way the series aired. Characters get introduced and come back in other series (Claire Temple most notably).

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2017-09-28, 20:18:05
Daredevil itself is sometimes quite harsh but that's not very different from the comics. Personally he's my favourite character.

Never read any of the comics. "Daredevil" is also my favourite. What I like about these characters is that it's actually not overdone (well not too much anyway). Matt Murdock is just a normal human being who trained his hearing and other senses because he lost his sight.

"Jessica Jones", I also really liked, because I like the concept of film noir. The main bad guy was a bit overdone though. Jessica is also a really believable character. Ok, she's really strong, but she's not fighting all the time like in the other series. Mad, you didn't mention "Jessica Jones". Did you see it?

Luke Cage begins as a man that doesn't want to be the hero, but it does get dull from time to time.
To much ghetto-mentality and the music that comes with it. (Rap, hiphop etc)
It does get better over time.

"Luke Cage" was alright. I did like it. After "Daredevil" (which is indeed pretty violent at times), and "Jessica Jones" (which is more focused on psychological drama and trauma) , "Luke Cage" is a lot more light-hearted. Like you said, there's this focus on the ghetto and these 'tough guys' (which I find laughable). Still, some of the music was OK and did its job well of bringing me in this world. After a while I was a bit bored and glad it was done.

The Iron Fist goes a reverse path.
Starts really good but when the road progress' and he gets involved as a chairman in his fathers company, it gets a bit directionless. A bit too much 'I want to be the good guy'.

I'm now halfway "Iron Fist" but so far I like this the least. This character has a magic hand... It's the least believable of the four series. The main character, Danny, seems to be a guy who totally lost it. Of course he was outside of civilized society for most of his life, but still.

Definitely worth to check this serie.
The main characters Clarke Griffin and Bellamy Blake start of as adversaries but during the seasons they become the leaders of the 100 and they both realise they need each other to cope with any danger that lands on their path.
I can't wait for season 5, starts, if all goes well, in februari/march next year.

So I have to catch up with four seasons. ;D It's still on my list. I'll make sure to watch it in time for season 5 then.

3% is a Portugese serie about two sides on a devastated planet Earth.
The wealthy caste and the poor.
There is an island where the wealthy people live, but that's not the majority.
The majority are the poor.
During battles and tests the poor has the opportunity to cross the ocean and be a part of the island but sadly, only 3% of those who tries are accepted to enter.
Both the 100 and 3% are mainly for the young adult viewers but if your your at heart... ;)

Yup, I've seen this one too now. Really liked it!! Very interesting. I really like this kind of tv series. I'm looking forward to a second season.

Well there's plenty to watch on Netflix, even the movies are worth while. Better than Ziggo horizon in my opinion.
Ziggo does have Game of Thrones...That's a great serie as well.

Most of the time I don't have time for a full movie. 40-60 minutes is ideal for me. So series it is. The problem with a movie is that when I DO have time, I want to watch something that I really like. When I watch a movie and find out that I didn't like it, I feel I wasted two (sometimes even three) hours...  ::)

Teunis

Blind Ego - Liquid Live  *horns*

Awesome stuff! If you dig the studio albums, you'll love this as well. Full concert on YouTube. Convince yourself  ;).

Teunis

The Pineapple Thief - Where we stood

Great DVD, nice to relive the memories. Same line up same setlist  8) *horns*

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2017-12-07, 22:12:06
Blind Ego - Liquid Live  *horns*

Awesome stuff! If you dig the studio albums, you'll love this as well. Full concert on YouTube. Convince yourself  ;).

Saw them in the Boerderij a few years back.
Not many people attended at the concert, but it was a show indeed.
With Paul Wrightson. :)

Teunis

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2018-01-05, 15:16:05
Saw them in the Boerderij a few years back.
Not many people attended at the concert, but it was a show indeed.
With Paul Wrightson. :)
The current singer is even better, as far as I'm concerned  8)

nw: The Neal Morse Band - Alive Again

Awesome!  *horns*

erik

Watched a documentary that was on Dutch tv, Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'. Never really explored his music, must do so. Next up: Eric Clapton: Saved By The Blues, also on Dutch tv recently.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

PH

Quote from: erik on Wed, 2018-06-13, 17:47:51
Watched a documentary that was on Dutch tv, Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin'. Never really explored his music, must do so. Next up: Eric Clapton: Saved By The Blues, also on Dutch tv recently.
Wow, never knew Dutch television had these interesting music documentaries. Then again, I don't watch much television. What channel?

When I say that I don't watch much television, then I mean actual television. I do watch series on Netflix for example.
This is what I have been/am watching recently:

- Fargo - I've seen the first and second seasons. Anyone seen this? I think it's great! Normally I tend to watch all seasons in a row, but after the second season I felt I had to take a break from Fargo and focus on other series. But I will return to the third season soon.

- Stranger Things - None of you ever mentioned Stranger Things. This series does a good job in sending us back to the eighties. If you haven't seen it, please do so. It's amazing! A mix of sci-fi and 'horror'. Well, is it horror? Mild horror then. Seriously, how they pull off the '80s vibe is impressive.

- Lost In Space - This is what I'd like to call 'feelgood sci-fi'. It's family friendly and not too difficult. Despite its obvious shortcomings, I liked it. When season 2 arrives, I'll be there to watch it.

- The Orville - THIS!! This!! This is what I'm talking about. To me, this is more Star Trek than Discovery was. It's obviously a parody of The Next Generation/Voyager, but to me it's much more than that. It's actually a good series on its own! While I really liked Star Trek: Discovery, I found it to be a bit too serious. It was dark, sombre, gloomy. DS9 had that too sometimes, but with more comedy. Discovery felt really grim. The Orville is truly a breath of fresh air. I'm halfway through the season and I'm glad there's a second season coming. (Also looking forward to second season of Discovery! ;) )

- 3% - Yeah, first season was really good! Second season is more 'meh'... The best thing in the first season (for me) was the different tests that the participants had to take. In the second season the focus is more on the two main sides and spies and double spies and triple spies and who to trust, etc. There was some of that in the first season, but more of it here. Still watching though!

erik

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2018-06-14, 12:22:22
Wow, never knew Dutch television had these interesting music documentaries. Then again, I don't watch much television. What channel?

When I say that I don't watch much television, then I mean actual television. I do watch series on Netflix for example.
This is what I have been/am watching recently:
NPO 2 and 3, they are still available to stream (which is the way I watched these documentaries). The programme "Uur van de wolf" in particular is worth checking out, they often have interesting music documentaries worth watching.

Thanks for the recommendations, I have heard of most of them but haven't watched these and don't have Netflix (yet..), to protect myself from too much binge watching  ::)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

jp: The Pineapple Thief - Where We Stood
np: Toto - Live in Amsterdam; 25th Anniversary

Oh boy, 15 years ago already ...  :o

Teunis

Gazpacho - Night Of The Demon

Really love this band 8).

Teunis

The Neal Morse Band - Alive Again

Great DVD 8) *horns*

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2018-11-12, 21:14:51
The Neal Morse Band - Alive Again

Great DVD 8) *horns*

8)

Are you also going to the concert in Tilburg on 26 March?

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2018-11-13, 13:12:42
Are you also going to the concert in Tilburg on 26 March?
Probably not, so far away from me :).

PH

I just watched Neal Morse's "Life & Times Live" dvd.
Pretty cool stuff. 8)
Sort of acoustic and sort of solo. I did see myself a few times in the audience.

PH

Neal Morse "Morsefest 2017 (disc 2, The Similitude Of A Dream)"