News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

MIDI stuff...

Started by keyboardistmatt, Wed, 2005-02-02, 20:05:40

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

Hello Clive!

First, the new album is excellent, thanx!!

I have a question regarding your live rig:-
How is it that your keyboards seem to change their sounds and settings DURING songs? 
I noticed on 'Caught In The Act' that during 'Solomon', you start with the sound using the A90, then, obviously you move to other keyboards for other sounds, then you go to the top O1w, and the first sound (assigned to the A90 earlier), is now on the O1w, and the A90 which you play shortly after has a different sound assigned to it.

Obviously this is a MIDI controlled rig, but what do you use to do it?

Best regards.
Matt.
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Clive

I have gone to a lot of trouble to make sure that my live set up is very 'midi flexible'....  :)

ok...prepare for the nerdy bit.... ;)

The A90 controls the two 01/ws, which in turn move along to the other keyboards. They all reach out to various modules as well, so it's quite possible that I will be able to access a particular sound from several different keyboards.
I always try and make one patch represent one song (this isn't possible with Epics such as Moviedrome or Solomon). This means creating a certain amount of keyboard 'choreography'.... I set various areas of the keys to control and produce different sounds relevant to the track in question. This is why you'll often see me diving for the bottom key of the A90 for example... there will be some kind of special effect sample tucked away down there (eg the explosion at the end of Crack in the Ice).

As it happens, I have decided (after six years of having the same set up) decided to change the live set. This is why I'm busy programming the gear now ... two months before the first gig!! I've replaced one of my 01/Ws with a Triton Extreme, and I've replaced the Roland JP8000 (the one I used as a 'lead keyboard') with one of the new Signature Moog Voyagers. I'm also phasing out some of the rack gear, because the Triton will be carrying the samples that used to reside elsewhere.

Phew!!!

Well, that should have sent most people off to sleep... :)

Moonloop

I got lost after the 'midi' bit   :D

Think I'll stick to listening  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

What would interest me in this case, knowing almost nothing: do you use the Keyboards as mere generic Keyboards that trigger the production of sound from another system, or do they produce sounds of their own?

Cos in the first case, there's surely a large number of rather inexpensive generic keyboards available, cos they don't use DSPs and stuff to produce special sounds, right...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

So Clive,

Am I correct in thinking that as far as patch changes are concerned, the A90 (being a MIDI controller) controls all of the keyboards except the A70, which controls the rack gear?  :)

I'm only asking because my rig has turned slightly huge over the past couple of years, and I resorted to a Sycologic M16 MIDI matrix to control everything... and your rig amazed me because you never seem to touch anything except the keys!

I also deeply appologise to everybody who was lost in the early stages of this topic! ;)

kmorse

Prog keyboarding has come a long way from Keith Emerson stabbing his Hammond B-3, eh?
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Clive

Actually, the A90 controls everything in a way.... until recently I had more rack gear, but I've decided to cut that down in favour of making the keyboards work harder! So, I've removed the XV5080 (which originally held the samples... now it'll be the Triton), Vintage Keys, SE-1 etc.... just leaving a Roland JV2080 module. So here's how it pans out:

A90 Midi Out 1............. 01/Wfd Midi Out............. A70 Midi Out............ JV2080

A90 Midi Out 2............. Triton

A90 Midi Out 3............. Nothing

A90 Midi Out 4............. Moog Voyager

This basically means that by one programme change on the A90 I can send prog changes first to the 01/Wfd and the Triton (and the Voyager), then the 01?wfd in turn send prog changes to the A70 and the 2080. Thanks to a 'thru switcher' on the A70, I can control the 2080 from either the 01/Wfd or the A70... this gives me plenty of fexibilty!

This has got to be the simplist rig I've used for a while... mind you, that doesn't make the programming any less demanding... :)

keyboardistmatt

What was the most comlex rig you've had with Arena?

Clive

Visitor Tour.... Midi flying all over the place... nine keyboards, piles of modules.... too much stuff!!  :)

gelert

Quote from: Clive on Fri, 2005-02-04, 13:53:18
too much stuff!!

You can NEVER have too much stuff....
unless you're the keyboard tech of course...

Quote from: Clive on Fri, 2005-02-04, 13:53:18
Midi flying all over the place... nine keyboards, piles of modules

....ah, heaven...  8)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

I like this gelert dude already!   :)

jeffMc

Quote from: kmorse on Fri, 2005-02-04, 04:21:39
Prog keyboarding has come a long way from Keith Emerson stabbing his Hammond B-3, eh?

FWIW, Emerson used to stab the L100 Hammond. And he had a C3 Hammond, not a B3, under the moog. Occasionally a minimoog sat on the L100 (left hand played the L100, primarily for Ostinatos) and C3 on the right. The L100 would come out for stabbing during Rondo ;)

Ok, I am showing my age....

jeffMc

Quote from: Clive on Fri, 2005-02-04, 09:22:00
Actually, the A90 controls everything in a way.... until recently I had more rack gear, but I've decided to cut that down in favour of making the keyboards work harder! So, I've removed the XV5080 (which originally held the samples... now it'll be the Triton), Vintage Keys, SE-1 etc.... just leaving a Roland JV2080 module. So here's how it pans out:

A90 Midi Out 1............. 01/Wfd Midi Out............. A70 Midi Out............ JV2080

A90 Midi Out 2............. Triton

A90 Midi Out 3............. Nothing

A90 Midi Out 4............. Moog Voyager

This basically means that by one programme change on the A90 I can send prog changes first to the 01/Wfd and the Triton (and the Voyager), then the 01?wfd in turn send prog changes to the A70 and the 2080. Thanks to a 'thru switcher' on the A70, I can control the 2080 from either the 01/Wfd or the A70... this gives me plenty of fexibilty!

This has got to be the simplist rig I've used for a while... mind you, that doesn't make the programming any less demanding... :)

Wow cool. Makes my D-50 and M-audio/Roland vintage head simplistic ;) Love the tech talk! Keep it going.

One question Clive, where do you get the 'Tron sound you play on the A90? I am assuming some sample head in the back. And, on "Caught in the Act" and "Live and Life", in Painted Man, you do not use the 'Tron at the opening of the vocals, like on Contagion. Is that due to too much going on at a time, or the A90 out of reach?

Thanks in advance for answering the dumb questions..

Jeff

jeffMc

Quote from: jeffMc on Wed, 2005-02-23, 02:12:47
Wow cool. Makes my D-50 and M-audio/Roland vintage head simplistic ;) Love the tech talk! Keep it going.

One question Clive, where do you get the 'Tron sound you play on the A90? I am assuming some sample head in the back. And, on "Caught in the Act" and "Live and Life", in Painted Man, you do not use the 'Tron at the opening of the vocals, like on Contagion. Is that due to too much going on at a time, or the A90 out of reach?

Thanks in advance for answering the dumb questions..

Jeff

Doh! i just re-read and saw where the 'Tron sound comes from ;) Ok, but part 2 of the question is valid ;)

Clive

Basically, I try and represent all the tracks I play live as well as I can. There are always going to be a few sounds or parts I just can't get to. My decisions are based on how it sounds as a live band. On this tour I have all the samples stored in the Triton Extreme, so that's where they are when I play samples from the A90.  :)

jeffMc

Quote from: Clive on Wed, 2005-02-23, 12:44:24
Basically, I try and represent all the tracks I play live as well as I can. There are always going to be a few sounds or parts I just can't get to. My decisions are based on how it sounds as a live band. On this tour I have all the samples stored in the Triton Extreme, so that's where they are when I play samples from the A90.  :)

Thanks!