News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

To fantasize or not to fantasize...

Started by Appelmoes??, Mon, 2005-10-17, 19:36:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you, as a progrock fan, like fantasynovels or not or...

Yes, only fantasy for me!
8 (22.9%)
I like to read books in general.
22 (62.9%)
No fantasy for me!
1 (2.9%)
Books???
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Appelmoes??

Inspired by this.

TS begins: Up till a few months ago I never read any books except Tolkien. My girlfriend said I should have a try at Feist's Magician and I did. Since then I'm reading one fantasy book after another. When I try a different genre it just doesn't keep my attention, so just fantasy for me.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Teunis

I voted for 'Books???'. After must-reading books on school I haven't read a single book anymore. Don't like reading, only magazines that have my interest (Sports) and strips like 'Suske and Wiske'.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2005-10-17, 19:40:44
strips comics like 'Suske and Wiske'.
Spike & Suzy or Bob & Bobbette in England, Willy & Wanda in the US. and Bob et Bobbette in France. I used to read those too, but imo the comics have become to moralistic for my taste.

My drawings on MySpace

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-10-17, 19:36:52
Inspired by this.

TS begins: Up till a few months ago I never read any books except Tolkien. My girlfriend said I should have a try at Feist's Magician and I did. Since then I'm reading one fantasy book after another. When I try a different genre it just doesn't keep my attention, so just fantasy for me.

I agree with you.  I try to read other genres but for the most part I stick to fantasy.  I guess I just love the stories and setting in the fantasy books.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

erik

Voted I like to read books in general, but fantasy and also SF are definitely genres I like a lot.

My favourite non-fantasy/sf writer is probably Gabriel García Márquez.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

gelert

Boox is grate...

Keeps the cayve warm in winta...

Isle stik annuva won on nuow...

Seriously, I can't lose myself in a book in the same way as you 'ole boys (or Mrs.G) seem to be able to...I leave that to music.

But I read voraciously...Sound-On-Sound, F1 Racing, Autosport, Classic Rock, Rubber Monthly (The Eraser Manufacturers' newsletter, natch)...
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Xanxtuary

Quote from: Wilford Jr. on Mon, 2005-10-17, 20:34:07
I agree with you.  I try to read other genres but for the most part I stick to fantasy.  I guess I just love the stories and setting in the fantasy books.

Same here.  Every now and then I will read something non-fantasy, usually something that a friend or relative has recommended.  I do occasionally like to read biographies/autobiographies but it has to be of a person who has inspired me or means something to me.  But I always end up rushing through to finish so that I can start on another epic fantasy novel!
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

NijntjeRocks

Like books generally, but have a special place for fantasy in my heart (Tolkien, Pratchett, Lewis)
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Erendis

@applemoes: just open a poll          you were faster ;)  btw: great name *lol* delicious with potatoe pancakes

I´m reading whenever I could find any time - Tolkien is best.......... almost......... Pratchett is as good as he was ;D
I´ve also read the Hitchhiker.... not that easy to follow sometimes.

I too like the novels of Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs and Barbara Wood and  and and.......
Last I read was Bartimäus 1 and 2 from Jonathan Stroud, not that complex as Pratchett and others but great books, easy to read, something to laugh...

The story about Aldarion,sixth king of númenor, and Erendis his wife, is little tragic. Here is a little summary: http://www.lotrlibrary.com/agesofarda/aldarionerendis.asp but the end of the story isn´t written there...
She never came back to him, their daughter became first queen of númenor.... but read yourself ;) it is worth it

Music of the future will not entertain
it´s only ment to repress and neutralise your brain

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

Erendis

Yes :)
I forget to write - the story you ment was about Nimrodel and Amroth. A really sad story too... but aren´t all of the middle-earth/arda stories a little sad and tragic....?

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Erendis on Tue, 2005-10-18, 16:50:09
Yes :)
I forget to write - the story you ment was about Nimrodel and Amroth. A really sad story too... but aren´t all of the middle-earth/arda stories a little sad and tragic....?
They are and yet all the stories bring back a slight piece of hope or love, and that is what makes Tolkien imo the best :)

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

I read allsorts: from comics, to novels, to graphic novels (when I can get them), to the argos catalogue! ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

erik

Quote from: Erendis on Tue, 2005-10-18, 16:12:19
[...]
I´ve also read the Hitchhiker.... not that easy to follow sometimes.
[...]
The story about Aldarion,sixth king of númenor, and Erendis his wife, is little tragic. Here is a little summary: http://www.lotrlibrary.com/agesofarda/aldarionerendis.asp but the end of the story isn´t written there...
She never came back to him, their daughter became first queen of númenor.... but read yourself ;) it is worth it
Now I realise, forgot to mention Douglas Adams!! in this post, added!  ::)

And thanks for the link to the summary of the story about Aldarion and Erendis, I'm going to read the story itself as well!  ;)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

sotonrobin

I love to watch fantasy and sci-fi, but for reading it tends to be mainly historical non-fiction.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Erendis

Quote from: erik on Wed, 2005-10-19, 17:15:28
Now I realise, forgot to mention Douglas Adams!! in this post, added!  ::)

Ts ts ts, how could you forget him  :o it´s a shame...... ;)

Another great author is Anne McCaffrey, really love her "Dragonriders of Pern" Saga. It is dedicated to Sci-Fi in stores - but for me it is more fantasy...
more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_McCaffrey
At the moment I´m trying to complete my collection of Pern novels. Some of them you can´t get in shops or antiques. But it´s crazy, three of the books are saled by ebay, but you have to pay not less than 30€  for the german books... :o 

erik

Quote from: Erendis on Thu, 2005-10-20, 20:12:11

Ts ts ts, how could you forget him  :o it´s a shame...... ;)

You're absolutely right, shame on me :P

Quote from: Erendis on Thu, 2005-10-20, 20:12:11

Another great author is Anne McCaffrey, really love her "Dragonriders of Pern" Saga. It is dedicated to Sci-Fi in stores - but for me it is more fantasy...
more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_McCaffrey
At the moment I´m trying to complete my collection of Pern novels. Some of them you can´t get in shops or antiques. But it´s crazy, three of the books are saled by ebay, but you have to pay not less than 30€  for the german books... :o 

Followed the link, that's quite a long series! Have heard of the author, but don't know her work really, although I have come across it in shops I think (but obviously not in German ;).

We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Vanderwoude

I don't read many books, only for school. But I think I would like many kind of books. The problem is that haven't got much time and I'm too tired after I go to bed. I've heard about the Dune novels from Frank Herbert. Maybe I should give myself some time to read them.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Mon, 2005-10-24, 19:23:43
I don't read many books, only for school. But I think I would like many kind of books. The problem is that haven't got much time and I'm too tired after I go to bed. I've heard about the Dune novels from Frank Herbert. Maybe I should give myself some time to read them.

You could start with some funny books, such as Terry Pratchett's works...

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2005-10-24, 22:52:55
You could start with some funny books, such as Terry Pratchett's works...

Which one of Pratchett's books would be good to start with?  I've noticed that he has several that seem to be set in the same world.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

keyboardistmatt

They're all set in Discworld...

Start with 'The Colour Of Magic' (the first book!) ;)

Spad

"No Fantasy for me"..... but I really DO love reading books!!!!!

Some years ago (when I was 13 or so.... ) I used to read Fantasy, especially Terry Brooks and, of course, Tolkien. Then I got really bored from that genre and definetely abandoned it.......

Anyway I think Tolkien had written one of the best novel (Lord Of The Rings, of course... ) of all time and, above all, not just among fantasy genre but in literature in general! This is out of doubt....

Now I'm more attracted by adventure or thrilling novel and even magazines about motorcycles!!  :D BRRUUUMMMMM BRRRUUUMMMMMM  ;D
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Erendis

Quote from: erik on Sun, 2005-10-23, 15:22:43
Followed the link, that's quite a long series! Have heard of the author, but don't know her work really, although I have come across it in shops I think (but obviously not in German ;).
A good friend lend me her books - now I´m addicted ;D
The English books are no problem, you could  get them in every book-shop... but I don´t want them in english by now... want to complete the german at first ;)

At the moment I´m reading Eragon "Eldest". The first one wasa great fantasy - let´s see what the second brings. Really nice homepage: http://www.alagaesia.com/index.php

NijntjeRocks

Just received a book, or actually 7-in-one ;)

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis.
One of these is coming out in movie-theater half-way december this year 8)
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: NijntjeRocks on Tue, 2005-10-25, 19:14:45
Just received a book, or actually 7-in-one ;)

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis.
One of these is coming out in movie-theater half-way december this year 8)
Me borrow! Me borrow!! ;D

Neh, I'll order it myself :)

My drawings on MySpace