News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

A PROPER keyboard poll!

Started by keyboardistmatt, Fri, 2005-05-13, 13:02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Which brand of MODERN keyboard is the favorite? (Bear in mind, I cant put 'em all here!!)

Korg
9 (39.1%)
Roland
11 (47.8%)
Clavia (Nord Lead)
2 (8.7%)
Yamaha
7 (30.4%)
Alesis
0 (0%)
Kurzweil
4 (17.4%)
Other
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Herben

Oh Yes Keyboardist Matt, I didn't vote here, because (except for MIDI) I don't know anything about keyboards, so my vote would of be no use, but would You like to vote for the best Shadowlandsong, I need more voters, I only have 8.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

keyboardistmatt

...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Stuart

Voted for Rolland and Yamaha since I have mostly their gear in my racks. Korg were a close 3rd, but never really had the cash to try anything after the M1, though the Triton was tempting.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Stuart on Wed, 2005-08-17, 21:58:23
Voted for Rolland and Yamaha since I have mostly their gear in my racks. Korg were a close 3rd, but never really had the cash to try anything after the M1, though the Triton was tempting.

Perhaps you'd consider looking at my 'Whats in your keyboard rig?' Thread located in the Musician's Corner, or here

johninblack

Had to vote Korg, had a poly 800 many, many years ago!

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: johninblack on Sat, 2005-09-10, 08:36:28
Had to vote Korg, had a poly 800 many, many years ago!

I've played a Poly 800, not a bad one, that.  Not as good as my Korg Prophecy though! ;)

johninblack

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sat, 2005-09-10, 14:40:08
I've played a Poly 800, not a bad one, that.  Not as good as my Korg Prophecy though! ;)

Absolutly not as good, but i'm talking '84/'85 ish and back then it kicked ass!

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: johninblack on Tue, 2005-09-13, 16:53:24
Absolutly not as good, but i'm talking '84/'85 ish and back then it kicked ass!

Fair enough... but there were plenty of others that were even better...

Yamaha DX7 (if you were able to program it...)
The mighty Synclavier... *ola*

gelert

I had a Slightly Minclavier...aka JP6 + Akai S612 (AND QuickDisc data back-up)....
...can I join your club...?

;)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Wed, 2005-09-14, 20:36:43
I had a Slightly Minclavier...aka JP6 + Akai S612 (AND QuickDisc data back-up)....
...can I join your club...?

;)

gelert... come on in!  8)

gelert

I've still got a couple of "QD" MiniDiscs with KILLER choirs and JP6 samples on...

They live in my (no laughing at the back, now...!), lead-lined box, alongside the Steinberg PRO-24 3.5" discs from our first CD...somewhere(?) at the back of the studio cupboard...

..."cross my palm with silver" and they're yours...

Sod that..."cross my palm" with lager, and take them away...LOL
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

You have a lead lined box???  I.E. everything inside is protected even in a nuclear holocaust??!! 8)

How intriguing! :)

I don't use Quick Disk, though!  Either Flash RAM, Flash ROM, Hard Disk, or Iomega JAZ.

Funny enough, they are all in my sampler... oh well! ;D

gelert

JAZZ in your sampler...? (being serious for a while, BTW...!)

I could fit ZIP (physically) into my ESI-4000 , but deffo NOT Jazz...

But I do use Jazz as my HD for the Fostex FD-4....

...and ZIP as my data-storage for the ESI...

keyboardistmatt

No, the JAZZ drive is external.  I did look into internal JAZZ and ZIP drives, but any software updates for the ESynth come on floppy disc from the internet, so I have to have a floppy drive. (even though that is the only thing I use the floppy drive for...)

E-MU's ESI series samplers tend to have ZIP as standard though, dont they?

gelert

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-09-14, 21:24:29
No, the JAZZ drive is external.  I did look into internal JAZZ and ZIP drives, but any software updates for the ESynth come on floppy disc from the internet, so I have to have a floppy drive. (even though that is the only thing I use the floppy drive for...)
Comes across the internet, via "Floppy"....Confused Of Bicester writes.... ???

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-09-14, 21:24:29
E-MU's ESI series samplers tend to have ZIP as standard though, dont they?
Sadly, er, no....the "ESI ZIP-As-Standard" phallacy" is a, er, phallacy...

Quote from: gelert on Wed, 2005-09-14, 21:08:06
JAZZ in your sampler...? (being serious for a while, BTW...!)
I could fit ZIP (physically) into my ESI-4000 , but deffo NOT Jazz...
But I do use Jazz as my HD for the Fostex FD-4.......and ZIP as my data-storage for the ESI...
My JAZZ and ZIP drives are both external, via SCSI...but watch this space.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-09-15, 20:07:12
Comes across the internet, via "Floppy"....Confused Of Bicester writes.... ???
I download the software updates from E-MU's website, put them onto floppy disc, and load them into the sampler from floppydisc! :)

gelert

GOTCHA...you're one of those clever barstewards that doesn't put his Music PC anywhere near potential Internet virii...

Yup...

Understood.

keyboardistmatt

gelert

keyboardistmatt

Spad

... although I have an old Roland D-20 (wich I don't play any more...  :'( :'( ), I voted for Clavia and Kurweil, just for these reasons:

- Tomas Bodin (The Flower Kings) has, IMHO, the best sounds I've ever heard of synthesized-hammond and even all the other synth registers are simply great and I think great part of this go to the Clavia-synth (besides of course of his ability using it... )
- Jordan Rudess is, for me, the personification of "The Modern Keyboardist", he is the future, a technical-master.... and his ONLY (yes, just one,as you know.. ) keyboard is a kuerzweil!!! (the documentary on his "keys-world" on the bonus DVD of Live At Budokan, is very impressive... )

But I'm really not a keyboardist, so these are just free thoughts of a not-skilled music listener and lover...  :D

Bye bye.
Spad.

Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

keyboardistmatt

I believe Jordan Rudess has recently switched to a Korg OASYS, which is supposed to replace his fully loaded Kurzweil K2600.  He was using some rack modules as well, but I think he's trying to phase these out.

Tomas bodin actually uses a Clavia Nord Electro, which isn't a synthesizer at all!  It does have some great sounds though, and Tomas is more than capable of pulling a few things out of it! :)

Spad

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Tue, 2005-10-04, 16:28:29

.... Clavia Nord Electro, which isn't a synthesizer at all! .....

... I really thought it was.... thanks for the lesson!!  :D So, where does come out his synth-sounds?? Let me understand... he uses the Clavia as a master-key to pilot some
rack-synths????

... and if it's not a synth.... what is it??? Thanks, I'm very ineterested.....  ;)
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Spad on Tue, 2005-10-04, 17:17:29
... and if it's not a synth.... what is it??? Thanks, I'm very ineterested..... ;)

The Nord Electro is an electromechanical keyboard emulator.  It contains high quality samples of Acoustic Pianos, Rhodes, and Wurlitzer stage pianos, Clavinet, and B3 organ. 

It has no synthesizer or sound editing function, just the afore-mentioned samples, and and effects section.  The 'organ' section contains 9 'digital' drawbars, percussion control, vibrato control, and a manual switch.  The piano section simply uses presence controls.

In the effects section, you have modulations (tremolo, ring mod, etc...), effects (phaser, flanger, etc...), 2-band EQ, and overdrive controls, as well as rotary speaker controls for the organ sounds.

Tomas Bodin's synth sounds come from his Nord Lead 3, and Korg Prophecy synthesizers. There is an 88 note Fatar SL880 MIDI controller there as well, and a rack of modules behind him. 

The rack contains: Akai S5000 (sampler), Novation Supernova (synth), Lexicon MPX500, and MPX100 (effects processors) and a Nord Modular (synth).
There are a couple of others, but they are just power conditioners... :)

Tomas has excellent knowledge of MIDI, and like many other keyboard players he will be able to use virtually any keyboard to play any module (or modules!) in the rack, via MIDI. ;)

johninblack

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-09-15, 20:07:12
...but watch this space.

OK, used up most of my lunch break 'watching this space' and NOTHING HAPPENED. Now I have to go back to work all dissapointed wondering what exciting things are happening in the space.