News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

WinterStrain

Started by Deenfan, Sun, 2005-05-01, 12:14:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Deenfan

Hi, guys and gals!

I don't know if promoting your own music is encouraged here. It's just, I'm a huge Arena fan, and so is our keyboard player... And here and there, maybe you can tell. Anyway, I thought, with the style we play in mind, this forum would be a good place to get some feedback. -Or as positive a feedback as possible... ;D

Naming our style is a bit difficult. Keyboard metal? Progish melodic hard rock? Arctic prog?

There is a teaser from an album we'll release one way or the other this year, here: www.winterstrain.com You'll find it through the "Music" link. See what you think. Maybe it can be something for you?

If I shouldn't promote or mention my own band here, I apologize sincerely. :-\
Regards,
Deenfan

Deenfan

Aaahhh... got a green light from Peter about blowing my own trumpet a bit...

There is now clips of the first three songs on the album, available on our site. These are the finished mastered songs, though fairly low bitrate mp3 for the ease of downloading.

The album as such starts off with some half straightforward sounding stuff, evolves back and forth a bit, and ends in something we could call prog heaven. But we won't, of course. It's just getting more interesting or less understandable, depending on where you come from taste-wise.

Pretty much the whole band is Arena fans, with the keyboard player and myself leading on, and we're both admiring Clive Nolan's wide variety and use of sounds. Nothing we have tried to emulate, but it's been an inspiration, and of course, we use Korg synths, so...

Check it out!

Deenfan :)

Deenfan

And the fourth song is published... "Leon" is written around the Luc Besson movie of the same title. -Though it was called "The professional" in the US, apparently.

This will be our calmest moment so far on the record, and a chunk of the guitar solo is included, too. Check it out, and please tell me you love it!!! ;D ;D ;D

gelert

Hi Deenfan...

Had a listen to the "Another Time" and the "Another Day" clips, and immediately thought Night Ranger.
Then I got Europe from "The Secret Family" clip.
"Leon" was interesting, but too short a clip for me to get a plane of reference.

And then I listened to "The Medley"...

FANTASTIC...!

I'm still getting Night Ranger occasionally, but I now think that that's down to the twin-guitar lines, and guitar-tone more than plagiarism. Europe I get from the vocal inflections, and position in the mix.

Hurry-up and release...cash awaits at chez Gelert...!

Let us know when copies are available for purchase.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Deenfan

;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank you, Gelert!! Ha! Night Ranger... Congratulations. That's the first time I hear that! We even got a Camel comparison, to the point the guy insisted it was ripped off the "Nude" album, which any of us in the band STILL has to hear! Or, I've heard it now, that he pointed it out, and well... It's not plagiarism, but coincidence. We pride ourselves on not trying to sound like anyone, really. But as all are, we're inspired by stuff. We got very different album collections within the band, too, so nothing should be able to dominate much for long...

You're a very good listener, too, 'cause I used Europe's records as a guide line when I recorded, mixed and produced the vocals. I want them to be loud and clear and in the centre. No problem when you have a really good singer with a voice full of character, I might add!

Some member of Shadow Gallery once said that "What you put in, people can get out", and this shows it's true. About the Night Ranger thing, I don't think anyone of us has an NR album, but I know that the guitar player at least acknowledges the guitar player in Night Ranger. He's mentioned him on a couple of occasions. I don't even remember the guys name.

The guitarist's list of inspirations can be found here: http://www.winterstrain.com/html/arnulf.html

You could check if he was there! Maybe you're on to something... :)

Fun that you should like the medley so much. I'll post whenever a new clip is available, so you might hear more of the songs. I'll be more than sure to tell you when we get it released. It'll happen something this year, that's given, unless we get a multi million $$ deal all of a sudden, and a Lamborghini each to make us accept a wait until january or something. ("Not bloody LIIIKELY!)

gelert

Night Ranger guitarists are Jeff Watson & Brad Gillis...er it sez 'ere...

Hat, Anorak, gone....
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Deenfan

Peter

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2005-07-11, 23:40:18
What is that?????? ??? ??? ???

gelert's way to express "it says here", which means "I apologize if I may be wrong, but that's what's written here"
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Deenfan

;D Ahh... I'm maneuvering quite well in these waters of foreign language, but some times.... :D

Thanks!

gelert

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2005-07-12, 18:09:31
;D Ahh... I'm manoeuvering quite well in these waters of foreign language, but some times.... :D

Thanks!

Close, but no cigar...

WTF am I saying...?

Encouraging smoking...?

Where's that walnut whip...?

Deenfan

:D ;D Hahaa!! A typo! In that very essential word, too!! Holy Christ, when I do mistakes, I usually time them perfectly!!!

And you're making absolutely no sense, yet manages to be hilariously funny!!

:D

gelert

But sir, sir, it was one of Hogweed's, sir...
;)

Deenfan

I've come to believe that everything that makes no sense at all can be explained with "Hogweed"... ;D

gelert

Quote from: Deenfan on Wed, 2005-07-13, 23:53:51
I've come to believe that everything that makes no sense at all can be explained with "Hogweed"... ;D

...especially the "Giant" Variety...

Lordy, do I feel a song coming on...?

Widdley widdley, Widdley widdley, Widdley widdley, Widdley widdley...
Widdley widdley, Widdley widdley, Widdley widdley, Widdley widdley.... etc.

Deenfan

Heh.. We worked on some new material this very night. But we must release this one first. A deal for the UK seems to be confirmed now. Nice. The fifth song, our progmetal moment, is online now. Check it out, boys and girls!

http://www.winterstrain.com/html/music.html

keyboardistmatt

Nice job, Deenfan!

I really like that... I downloaded the Medley. Excellent! ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

gelert

The "Rumours At Speak" clip had me rushing to listen to Damian Wilson with Landmarq doing Terracotta Army on Solitary Witness...

...my medication ain't working, I tell ya...time to change my dealer...

Deenfan

;DHmmm... Interesting. Damian Wilson is a good singer. Never heard the material you refer to, though. Even so, I dare believe it was a good sign...? Thanks, both of you!

I long for the moment when you can hear the full keyboard solo on "Sail", KeyboardistMatt. I'm a lousy drummer, only, but also an absolute keyboard freak, and as far as soulful playing goes, I learned something new when I heard him record that solo. (I recorded it, he performed it...)

A few years ago, I thought really soulful, emotional solos were the domain of the guitar. But, apparently, a keyboardist has got the same connection to his instrument and its "ways to make and change the sound" as they play. Bad sentence. I need to go to bed. I'll hit you with another clip soon...

Deenfan

Ah, and here is my favourite on the album, Mountain inside the stone:

I so long for letting people hear the full tracks...

Teunis

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2005-07-18, 02:25:56
;DHmmm... Interesting. Damian Wilson is a good singer. Never heard the material you refer to, though.
Yeah, he has a great voice. I was under the impression of his singing talent bij hearing the Ayreon album 'Into the Electric Castle'. Each time his character 'the Knight' came in, I thought 'wow, what a voice'. Then I heard 'When the druïds turn to stone' of 'The Dream Sequencer'. Awesome. Now I own his solo albums 'Disciple' and 'Cosmas'. Waiting for his new release 'Let's start a commune'.
Haven't heard his work on Threshold or Landmarq albums.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2005-07-18, 02:25:56
I long for the moment when you can hear the full keyboard solo on "Sail", KeyboardistMatt. I'm a lousy drummer, only, but also an absolute keyboard freak, and as far as soulful playing goes, I learned something new when I heard him record that solo. (I recorded it, he performed it...)

I do like soulful keyboardistism... ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

gelert

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2005-07-18, 11:51:01
Ah, and here is my favourite on the album, Mountain inside the stone:

I so long for letting people hear the full tracks...

Sadly, the website tag for Mountain Inside The Stone, lacks "clickabilityishnessitismliness".

Deenfan

Well, it works for a lot of people... Hmmm.... Don't know why it is so. Maybe a firewall thing? A ghost?

I'll send it to you. :)

gelert

Cheers for the PM, Deenfan...

I had a listen, via the link on the PM...and then I went to your website, and found that "Mountain...." has now got "clickabilityishness"...

So maybe I was just too quick-off-the-mark...?

Release, release...because the link is so "out-of-context" that it doesn't really get my rocks-off...

But it's quality, I can tell that much...can't wait to obtain the CD.

Deenfan

Thanks!!! ;D

I think the clickadelic issue would have been solved by pressing F5 on your keyboard. Or indeed, clicking the "refresh" button. Your browser probably pulled the page out of the temp folder, and not the net, even if it looked like it downloaded it.

This function explains a lot of weird stuff. One woman I know removed a picture from her website, 'cause it was a bit embarrassing. She checked back, and it was gone. However, most of her friends could still see it when they clicked their way to her site. They started believing in ghosts for a while, there... :D