News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Ken Follet's Winter of the World.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2013-01-15, 20:01:55
I've seen a couple of the movies. Not really masterpieces, but I can see why many find them so enjoyable.

Superficial entertainment, to be honest. People like us should avoid stuff like that  ;)

The Smiley books and films are true culture. You're properly entertained, and experience that you'r really learning something about life and society.

I often wonder how thinking people can spend sooo much time on pulp. Don't they take their lives seriously ? Is it just a question of getting thru the day somehow  ???

when I read books, most of them are in English (Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Arthur Conan Doyle, many English study books)

Excellent, Paxi. (I can also give compliments when merited  ;) ). You'l find that le CarrĂ©'s books are more demanding. But with sufficient effort, you'l master them, and feel all the richer in spirit  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

funkster

Creole belle by James Lee Burke which is , as always , excellent

PH

I'm halfway reading a 132-page glossy magazine called: "Classic Rock presents Rick Wakeman".
It's part of my Rick Wakeman Journey To The Centre Of The Earth fanpack which I've won in a DPRP competition. ;D

funkster

Tonight it will be the script for My cousin Rachel as that is the next play i am in.

PH

Nice. What is your role like?

funkster

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2013-04-05, 00:09:32
Nice. What is your role like?

James is a young servant and as i am 43 years old you can guess how old the rest of the drama group are !

It is only a small role but there is some comedy in the role which should be fun

Thanks for asking Paxi 

PH

Right now I'm really touched and inspired by Neal Morse's Testimony. It's not a long read. It has 231 pages and the letters are pretty big. So you could finish it in one day.
Man, I love his honesty and his depth. He's showing a lot of himself here. Somehow his story makes me want to be a better christian. Whatever that means.

I simply love his devotion, his energy and honesty. What a great musician. Gonna watch "Testimony Live" soon again! :)

maddox

Cool, I want to read that one as well.
I have to buy it first. ;)

Lately I've been hooked on Harlan Coben's work.
Started off with the newest novel Six Years, then Caught, The Innocent, The Woods and Darkest Fear.

He writes in a not to complicated way, with a sense of humor but he's able to keep the tension tight.

funkster

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2013-04-04, 16:27:51
Tonight it will be the script for My cousin Rachel as that is the next play i am in.

Opening night tonight  *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2013-04-04, 16:27:51

I'm sure that she's happy that you'r writing a nice script for her, Funky ;-)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

C.S. Lewis - "The Screwtape Letters"
I'm reading it in Dutch ("Brieven Uit De Hel" (Letters From Hell)).
Fascinating.

Nicky007

Interview with Martin Orford   www.progressor.net/interview/martin_orford.html

The following surprised me:

VM: What music do you personally like to listen to ?

MO: I very rarely listen to music. As it's my work, it's not something I'm particularly interested in as a leisure activity.

The musicians I'v heard/seen interviews with always mention several items they enjoy listening to currently  ???

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Yes, I remember this. Martin Orford is a surprising guy  :) And his last solo album, The Old Road, is (un)surprisingly great  *horns* You should lend a hear.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2013-08-08, 14:15:57
Martin Orford is a surprising guy  :) And his last solo album, The Old Road, is (un)surprisingly great  *horns* You should lend it a hear.

Thanx, Bupie. I put him on my groups and artists to check list. Also IQ, who I should revisit soon (got Dark Matter and Subterranea).

Toto I feel I'v listened quite sufficiently to. They were played so much in the 70's and 80's. I enjoy most their Falling in Between Live (got that one), cuz it's surprisingly heavy  8)

-Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

funkster

Script for When we are married by JB Priestley as my rehersals start next Monday

PH

Quote from: funkster on Thu, 2013-08-29, 13:24:07
Script for When we are married by JB Priestley as my rehersals start next Monday

How are the rehearsals going?

Now reading:
At the moment nothing.
But I just got a package with six books I ordered from 'Marktplaats' (Marketplace) the Dutch equivalent of eBay.

It's the complete original Dune saga:

1965 - Dune
1969 - Dune Messiah
1976 - Children Of Dune
1981 - God Emperor Of Dune
1984 - Heretics Of Dune
1985 - Chapterhouse: Dune

So there's a lot to read!
In fact, I had already read the first two novels during secondary school. I started on the third one, but I noticed the library didn't have the fourth and the sixth books, so I got a bit demotivated to continue. And finally I found them all for just 20 euros. And they're in really good shape!

funkster

First one last night PH and it went very well indeed. Due to someone getting a paid role i have been given a better role so well happy.

The Dune books are great 

PH

Quote from: funkster on Fri, 2013-09-06, 19:38:47
First one last night PH and it went very well indeed. Due to someone getting a paid role i have been given a better role so well happy.

That's cool. What role do you have? Are you the youngest again? ;)

Quote from: funkster on Fri, 2013-09-06, 19:38:47
The Dune books are great 

I know! 8) And I'm pretty excited about these editions, because they look brand new! I still cannot believe someone does them away for so few money!
I'm so excited about it, I even forgetting my grammar!

funkster

Gerald who is the church organist in a Yorkshire village circa 1906.Oldest male  ;) but 2 younger female roles - phew.

Teunis

iO pages, Dutch prog magazine  *horns*
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Yesterday I waited for the new IO Pages, but it didn't come. So, I thought it would probably arrive today, but still nothing... :(
Anyone here who got it/didn't get it? Teunis? Erik?

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2013-10-26, 20:27:02
Anyone here who got it/didn't get it? Teunis? Erik?
Yes, received it yesterday.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

There are several people that I know who had it right on time.

I'm no subscriber so I didn't receive it, obviously. ;)

Now reading: Harlan Coben ~ No Second Chance

PH

Bad luck for me then... :'(
And I really want it!
I'll look after it tomorrow.